PDA

View Full Version : where to buy felt or mesh for wire frames (bulk vendor) ?

ggusta
12-17-2015, 01:13 PM
I am looking at making a large (like 15-20 foot high) hot air balloon (three dimensional sphere, not a flat wire frame) and want to cover the balloon portion in the same type of translucent colored felt or mesh that you see in some commercially sold christmas decorations.

Does anyone know a decent source? I looked at joann fabric, they have a decent selection of bulk felt but I am not sure if it is the right type of felt. Does anyone know if it is the same stuff?
I posted one pic with the felt and the other has the mesh.
Has anyone worked with this stuff? Do you have any wisdom to share?

Thanks

TMerk
12-18-2015, 10:44 AM
We use deco mesh for a lot of different decorations/gifts. It's available at walmart and most craft stores. You can buy a roll or by the foot. I know it's not the fuzzy stuff that some of these decorations use but it looks very good with lights behind it. Hope this helps.

ggusta
12-22-2015, 04:16 PM
We use deco mesh for a lot of different decorations/gifts. It's available at walmart and most craft stores. You can buy a roll or by the foot. I know it's not the fuzzy stuff that some of these decorations use but it looks very good with lights behind it. Hope this helps.

If the balloon portion alone was 10 feet high that gives a radius of 5 feet, based on that the area is 314 square feet, no waste factored in, so minimally 350 square feet of material is needed. I am looking to order a bulk bolt of fabric. And would need two colors. But much of the felt I find is too opaque and much of the mesh NOT opaque enough and is un-sewable. Perhaps need to glue a mesh in two ply's. https://www.fabric.com/

Wolfie
12-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Any of this stuff work for you:
http://www.mardigrasoutlet.com/C181D2/Poly-Sinamay-Mesh-Rolls.html
http://www.trendytree.com/deco-poly-mesh-burlap-and-paper/

TMerk
12-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Here's some presents my gf made for the display. They're wrapped in deco mesh with incans inside. They give a nice effect. 30909

Wolfie
12-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Those look awesome TMerk!

arw01
12-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Been looking for that fuzzy stuff for a while, seems to be caleld tinsel as well, but cannot find a source of sheets of it like a bolt of fabric. Would love to make an Oscar to go with my Sesame street gang..

jchuchla
12-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Two materials that are really good for this are spandex, and ripstop nylon (think parachutes and real hot air balloons). Both take light excellently. Neither is fuzzy though. The ripstop weathers much better than spandex outdoors but is less stretchy so your sewing skills need to be better. Spandex is more forgiving with sloppy cuts and seams when stretched over a frame.

ggusta
12-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Two materials that are really good for this are spandex, and ripstop nylon (think parachutes and real hot air balloons). Both take light excellently. Neither is fuzzy though. The ripstop weathers much better than spandex outdoors but is less stretchy so your sewing skills need to be better. Spandex is more forgiving with sloppy cuts and seams when stretched over a frame.

Yes, ripstop nylon is sort of where I began my search, the 'fuzz factor' just seems to me to add that little bit of extra character to the element thatI really think it needs. As the idea grows in my head, I am thinking maybe the sphere of the balloo may have to be flat at the back, maybe go just two thirds of a sphere with a flat back so the whole thing will fit on the roof of our porch and not create a problem. And to that point, use white or ivory colored ripstop for the flat 'rear' so the light can reflect nicely. (Ivory would be more 'warm' than plain white, imo, to bring out more yellowy-ness of the lights inside the balloon.

But finding the felt vendor or source has been more of a challenge than previously thought. Guess I need to go to a fabric store like hancock or joann.... 'Attention ladies, now entering the ladies only forbidden estrogen retail planet, A Man!'

'You're looking for 350 square feet of what?'

'And what do you want with all that felt?'

'You're building a hot air balloon to mount to the roof of what....? Make it 10 feet bigger and you can float away in it...'

'SECURITY!!'

Then there is the issue of eventually getting it to appear to lift off like a balloon..... to add to the list of skills where I have no experience whatsoever....motorized contraptions....