PDA

View Full Version : Direct Drive for Wiper Motor?

coldsolderjoint
12-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Is it possible to attach a shaft to the output of a wiper motor and have it spin 360 degrees?

All of the projects I have seen have the articulating arm to do a "back and forth" motion.

I'm trying to adapt an old dish tv antenna to spin 360 degrees to make a "Santa Tracking Radar".

I've seen one other example of something similar, but it was a miniature version, and only did the back and forth motion.

kartingted
12-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Yes you can, a wiper motor spins 360 it's the arms attached on the end which makes it go back and forth

toozie21
12-15-2015, 02:26 PM
The wiper is made to go 360 only. To get it to do anything else takes extra work. You are actually making it more simpler than a lot of us end up doing (my dish rotates back and forth and my bears use it for linear motion). Post some videos when you get it working!

deonb
12-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Absolutely, that's what I used for my wire winder:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?37016-Wire-winder-spooler&p=363154#post363154

PS: The torque on those little motors is great. Can do a whole bunch of stuff with it. I have the one in the link, as well as another mounted on the exact opposing wall position in my workshop. When I e.g. wanted to build garland strings, I just spun a string of lights between the motors and set them to rotate at the same speed (and opposite directions so that the light string doesn't twist), and then used it to spun the garland around the spinning light string - makes things a lot simpler.

Christmasnut
12-15-2015, 04:56 PM
I used a flat end cap for 1/2 inch galvanized pipe, drilled a hole in the center to match the grooved part of the wiper shaft and then used a triangular file to file some grooves in it so it would mate to the grooves on the wiper shaft. I then put on a washer, lock washer and nut and tightened it down. I then connected 1/2 inch galvanized pipe and basically attached what ever I wanted. If you look at motorized contraptions you will see my snow skaters and nutcracker turning us in this concept

Have any questions feel free to ask. Christmasnut

coldsolderjoint
12-16-2015, 01:25 AM
Thank You Everyone. I thought it would work, but something was telling me it couldn't me that simple.

toozie21 - I was checking out your santa tracking command center last night! Very Nice!

Christmasnut - This is exactly what I want to do!

deonb - seems like something similar could be used when wrapping lights around an arch.

Now, the first step is to get the dish tv antennas. My friend has two unused units on his house that I can have for free. I just need to climb up and uninstall them :D

David_AVD
12-16-2015, 07:25 AM
The rotation depends on the motor. The front ones I've seen have all been continuous rotation. The ones for the rear screen (single wiper) seem to have the reversing (back and forth) built into the gear head.

dstokesdubois
12-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Please PM me a link for your Santa tracking station. I was hoping to do some kine of Santa tracking radar effect in my Elf shack.

toozie21
12-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Please PM me a link for your Santa tracking station. I was hoping to do some kine of Santa tracking radar effect in my Elf shack.
Not sure who you are asking about, but here is a link to mine that coldsolderjoint mentioned: http://tooz.us/projects/north-pole-command-center.html

Got any pics of your Elf shack to share?