PDA

View Full Version : Ferris wheel

Christmasnut
12-12-2015, 09:33 PM
this is our Christmas ferris wheel. It was quite an undertaking. But thanks to Troy Bowyer for his knowledge and guidance to help me build this. I saw plans off of a Christmas site to get me started. It was challenging, especially motorizing it with a wiper motor and chain . Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I can tell you that the community is loving all the things we have this year. We ask people to bring canned goods for the local food bank and the response is great as it was last. He is a link to watch.

http://youtu.be/hkp5emnIC1c

toozie21
12-13-2015, 12:49 AM
Congrats on getting it done! Seems like the video is down though.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

jdesign21
12-13-2015, 01:34 AM
Video doesn't work

Christmasnut
12-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Video now works. Thanks for letting me know.

Popo-B-Trippin
12-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Looks great!

frederic
12-13-2015, 02:39 PM
That is truly awesome! Great build!

MrSmith
12-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Looks great. can you post a break down of how you built it? I want to build one for next years show.

Christmasnut
12-15-2015, 05:20 PM
I found the plans on Planet Christmas. I searched for Ferris wheels and found a set of instructions. I modified mine somewhat. I used a piece of conduit inside the pvc axle my as the pvc by itself bent some. I also bought the little baskets from Walmart for a buck each and drilled a hole in the sides to match the Pvc and anchored them with screws in each side so they would not move.
I built to frame to hold the wheel out of 2x4s. This was a little trial and error to get the right width in between the uprights and the wheel but will be glad to give you my dimensions if you wish. I used a Forster bit and drilled a 1 q/4 inch hole inch hole in pieces of 2x4 and then cut them in half on my table saw for the shaft on the wheel to set in. Used a pice of gray conduit for the 1 inch shaft to fit in so that I could put grease in it. Didn't want to spend the $$ on pillow block bearings.

I found an old bicycle and took sprockets off of it. Welded a small sprocket to a piece metal, drilled a hole in the center and then attached this with washers and nuts to the wiper motor. Used the larger sprocket on the wheel shaft and then used a bicycle chain. This took some effort to build a mounting platform and then to line the sprockets up.

But overall it was not that hard to construct. Be happy to talk to you about it as a gentleman from New Mexico helped me a lot via email. Next year I will light it up with a slip ring but time ran out this year.

Wayne