PDA

View Full Version : Forever Wreath Idea

mikeh65
12-09-2015, 02:04 PM
I have a project idea, but I am not exactly sure how to implement it.

Let me start with some back background. A few years back I created a wreath for my mother that she hung on the side of her garage. This wreath had nine different colors of LED strings on it. I worked up the electrical and a set of switches so she could choose which colors she wanted to be on. That way she could pick Red, Pink and White for valentines day; Orange, green, and purple for Halloween; Green and gold for St. Patric's Day; and so on. She has since moved and could not take the wreath with her.

Hence, Forever Wreath 2.0

I want to get a smaller coro wreath and set it up with pixels. I would then like to pre-program sequences for the wreath. Sequences for each holiday, like red and pink with white sparkles for valentines day, red and white stripes on the bottom with a blue field and sparkles on top for the forth of july, and green with blinking colors for christmas, and so on.

The trick is I want to make it stand alone. No computer to drive it. A box that plugs into the wall and the wreath connects to it. The box will have several switches on it. Either a switch for each sequence of several switches where a binary number can be entered. She can then select the Holiday, it plays and repeats the sequence until it is turned off. Maybe and optic sensor for day/night function.

I thinking an FPP will handle the sequences but don't know if it has command line playing or can read inputs.

I've used an arduino to drive a pixel strip but the sequences would be limited and size would also be a limit.

Not sure which way to go.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Barnabybear
12-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi, if you know Arduino have a look at the ESP8266-01. They have a 4K EEPROM lots of space for sequences in there and can be programmed with Arduino. Only 2 GPIOs, but one would drive the pixels and one swap the sequences. Cost $3.00 and have WiFi. You can drive 5V pixels directly from the GPIOs (through a 100 ohm resistor).