PDA

View Full Version : FPP and FM-02

DrNeutron
12-06-2015, 02:34 AM
This is my 1st year using the pi to run my show and I found something a bit peculiar.....
For the last 2 years I used HLS and its scheduler (which was a rock BTW). I bought an FM-02 a couple years ago to use with my show and I went down the same road as everyone else in trying to get the best quality sound out of the unit as I could. Last year, I bought a linear P/S from RonP which helped clean up the power. I used ferrite beads on my audio cables etc etc. I also ensured that the sound outputted from my PC was at 50% to help reduce noise. I figured when I hooked up the pi I would also output the sound at 50% same as I did with PC. Well, this had the opposite effect on the sound quality. I found the best quality sound I would get was when sound output was 85% or higher. I don't know if this is just my setup or if anyone else with an FM-02 can confirm, but I thought this was strange.
Aw well, all is good. I have good clean sound now and great distance (still using little antenna, gives me a block or so).

csford
12-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Pretty much the same for me, my first year using FPP, running a pi2 and FM-02. I think I have mine around 80%. I'm not really satisfied with my sound quality this year compared to previous years running a PC, but I love everything else about using the pi.

Santacarl
12-11-2015, 05:30 PM
On a side note....I run a Ramsey transmitter and found that my best quality audio also came once I got above 85%.... Don't know if that's just a common thing with the FPP but found it interesting that someone else using a different transmitter was using settings similar to mine...

jdesign21
12-11-2015, 05:33 PM
I got FPP set to 90% for FM02 to try to clean up the noise.

mms
12-13-2015, 12:48 AM
FPP and FM02 have a "warble". Best bet is to get a USB sound card similar to this one: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3477&gclid=CP_ot-2D2MkCFZGMaQodYLIMcw

My dad (PK85) designed a circuit that fixed the audio going into the FM02, but it was more cost effective to get the USB thing and it works marvelously.

duramadmax
12-13-2015, 01:39 AM
Yes I am using the fpp this year also with a fm02. I was using a small antenna and it was not cutting it. Built a 1/4 wave ground plane with a USB dongle. Volume at 80. 1000% better than before but not perfect.