PDA

View Full Version : Need SSRs

nsmetcalf
12-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Last year I purchased a Ren 32 and 64 from another member. All is well, but have a couple of SSR's that are not working properly. I'm wondering if anyone has any I can purchase or where I may be able to find some to replace the ones I am having issues with as well as have a couple extra's for replacements. Also, I have a "derk cheap" (forgive me if that is not correct) SSR that 1 channel is staying on. Any troubleshooting help is also appreciated.

imbluenote
12-03-2015, 09:09 PM
AC or DC SSR's?

On the DirkCheap, do you have a spare VO chip to swap? If not move one that is working to the sutck channel and see if that works. My bet is on the VO chip is fried.

Greg in Canby
12-04-2015, 01:51 AM
My bet is on the VO chip is fried.
Good bet.

THurrle
12-04-2015, 06:35 AM
The Dirk cheap from my experience was the chip. I had a few that did the same. I do have some chips I can mail you a few to see if that would help. I hope you mounted them in sockets. I sold most of my AC ssr's.
Terry

nsmetcalf
12-04-2015, 10:01 AM
I'm new to this, so bare with me. I'm not sure wht the VO chip is, but I will look after work tonight. If you have some avail...how much? Id be willing to buy for spares and to fix this one. Also, I believe they are all A/C as they all run off A/C power supply. Thanks to everyone for their help. If the VO chips are avail please let me know. I can PM you my address and paypal payment etc.

imbluenote
12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
It is the 8 pin chip on the dirkcheap. There are four of them. 1 for each channel. If they are in sockets you can swap around with a working channel to see if that is it. If they aren't in sockets you'll have to desolder and replace.

One then on the dirk's, you only get .8A max per channel so make sure you aren't over loading it and cooking the chip that way.

nsmetcalf
12-04-2015, 02:05 PM
ok thank you. The ones I currently have were built by the guy I purchased them from, so I will have to look at them tonight.

holtm
12-04-2015, 05:24 PM
I still have some fore sale. I can drop them in the mail tomorrow. http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?40520-F-S-DirkCheap-SSRs-assembled-with-extension-cords-and-RJ45-jacks

nsmetcalf
12-05-2015, 07:57 AM
How many do you still have? Can our quote me price for all you have left + shipping to Lawrenceburg, IN 47025?

THurrle
12-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Just PM the address and I will send you some chips as a favor.

holtm
12-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I sent a PM, shipping is high with the extension cords attached.

nsmetcalf
12-14-2015, 07:46 PM
So, I was confident that the issue I was having was hardware. But, now I'm not too sure. The issue I am having is as follows: I have 2 channels on 2 seperate SSR's running off of the same Ren 32. My assumption was that I had a problem with the SSR's which THANK YOU to the people who have already helped me with this issue. I have replaced both SSR's. One of them now seems fine, but the other is having intermittent issues still. It worked initially, but is now out again. I have checked the cat 5 running to the SSR, the power at each channel, and the strand of lights connected directly to A/C power. Everything seemed to check out fine and the channel in question was working....but then stopped again. Any suggestions???? Im not sure where to look next.

holtm
12-14-2015, 10:13 PM
What's connected to that channel? Is the load higher than an amp? The DirkCheap SSRs can only handle about 1 Amp. It could also be solder joint anywhere from the PIC to the SSR output.

imbluenote
12-14-2015, 11:19 PM
What's connected to that channel? Is the load higher than an amp? The DirkCheap SSRs can only handle about 1 Amp. .

I was thinking the same thing. Possibly you are pulling too much on that one channel.

Plus I think the rating is only .8 amp

nsmetcalf
12-15-2015, 09:02 AM
I only have 1 single strand "50 lights" LED. it is the exact same load (or less) than I have on my other SSR's. I'm wondering if I could have a problem with the controller itself?

LightUp
12-15-2015, 09:03 PM
One other suggestion is to add a 7W incan to the end of the LED string to see if that helps. If it does, then you may need a snubber (usually a 47K 1W resistor connected to the SSR output).