PDA

View Full Version : Which effect to use?

TheLloyds
11-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Good Day Everyone,

I know this question has likely been asked before, but I have searched and can't find the answer. My husband and I are new to the vixen program. We currently have been using Arduino Uno and a frequency program to flash simple LED's on and off to music. And then we found Vixen!!!! :wow: At this point we are simply trying to figure out which effect is best to use to turn the lights on and off, they are not RGB's, but simple plug them in and they come on string LEDs. Can someone help send us in the right direction. We have ordered a couple strings of addressable RGB's, but they might not even make it here for Christmas :shock:
Thank you

TheLloyds
11-18-2015, 12:05 PM
I guess I should tell you all we are using Vixen 3.2

dcdowden
11-18-2015, 12:44 PM
You could probably use the alternating effect - you can set the period/frequency of the effect.
Doug

Spyder
11-18-2015, 12:59 PM
If you wanted to line them up with the beats you could try using the pulse. You can change the ramp up and drop off brightness if your controller/lights support dimming by adjusting the curve.

TheLloyds
11-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Thank you for your suggestions, I'm going to give it a shot.

mrGrumpy
11-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Set Level is my choice for controlled on-off action at different intervals.

Pulse would also work, but that is to bring light level up from a (0% to 100%) range to a (100% to 0%) range. Up, down, or both. Basically fade in and/or fade out. Not sure your Arduino has dimming capabilities

Alternating is typically like a train crossing. Two sets of lights alternating on and off. One set of lights would be an constant on-off is the time cycle you choose.

Hope this simplifies the effects for you

TheLloyds
11-18-2015, 02:47 PM
I've tried the Set Level, but it seems that the occasional event will be skipped, and some cut short, turn on later then they should, and shut off early. I've been toying with the alternating effect and it seems to be working like a charm.

Thank you so much everyone!

Cheers, Cheri

mrGrumpy
11-18-2015, 03:02 PM
I've tried the Set Level, but it seems that the occasional event will be skipped, and some cut short, turn on later then they should, and shut off early. I've been toying with the alternating effect and it seems to be working like a charm.

Thank you so much everyone!

Cheers, Cheri
Cheri, even in Canada, Vixen should work the same as US....so if Alternating is working but Set Level is not, then I suspect there is a setup or sequencing problem. They both should work for you....Pulse could give problems if the % of light is a conflict between Vixen and Arduino.

If you have it working the way you want it, maybe we shouldn't fix it. If you need addition assistance or clarification, feel free to ask.

One more thought....I has some Halloween Orange string lights that didn't respond correctly to my sequence. Way off. Missing beats, skipping 1/2-1 second sometimes. When I changed the lights with my test strings, everything was fine. The Halloween Orange light just could not respond to the quickness of the sequence.

TheLloyds
11-18-2015, 03:09 PM
I agree, don't fix what's not broken, and so far.......so good (alternating effect).