PDA

View Full Version : Vixen to FPP to Pi GPIO

calicocal
10-17-2015, 09:28 PM
I need help getting my exported Vixen 3 file to work on FPP with the GPIO pins of the Pi.

I am trying a simple set up for Halloween that will use the Pi's GPIO pins to control a SSR module. I know the Pi can activate the relays from test mode, but when I try to play the audio and sequence, only the audio plays, no sequence. What type of controller should I have in the configuration for Vixen 3?

Edit: I used BlinkyLinky and it started working, kind of. At certain points of the sequence the outputs stop working. Any ideas?

CaptainMurdoch
10-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Do they stop and not start again or do they keep stopping and restarting later? I haven't heard of anything like that with FPP. Do you have any other controllers you could test with FPP to see if it is FPP or the sequence data?

calicocal
10-18-2015, 01:00 AM
I'll try to explain the best I can.

It starts up fine, then after a few seconds it will start missing outputs. Then it will miss all the outputs for a few seconds, then go back to occasional misses.

The problem gets better and worse depending on which controller I select in the display set up, where you patch the channels, but none of the controller types eliminate the problem.

Just to make sure I'm clear, I'm trying to use the pi GPIO pins to drive the relays.

CaptainMurdoch
10-18-2015, 02:10 AM
What sequence timing are you using? I haven't tested the GPIO outputs in a while, but not much has changed in that code recently, it's pretty simple.

How many channels are in your sequence?

I don't know much about Vixen3, but I would just setup a single E1.31 universe for simplicity. Maybe a Vixen3 user can mention how they setup their outputs for use with FPP. I don't know if the setup will affect the data that gets exported to the .fseq.

calicocal
10-18-2015, 01:35 PM
I tried hooking up another Pi and still have the same issue.

I'm not sure what sequence timing is, but when I export I am using 50ms. I'm only using 4 channels.

One thing I noticed is that I have an early model B, which only has 256mb of ram. Could that be the issue?

CaptainMurdoch
10-18-2015, 10:44 PM
FPP needs less than 100MB to run and should work fine on an original B.

Can you send me the sequence if I give you my email? I can test here to see if I see what you describe.

slauck
10-20-2015, 06:10 PM
I have a very similar setup as calicocal and have encountered the same problems.

When I first encountered this problem, I opened the problem sequence in Vixen and tweaked the timing of pulses that were fairly close together. I then saved the file and exported to FPP. This somehow fixed the problem. I don't know if tweaking the timing or merely exporting again fixed the problem.

Since then, I have encountered this problem again. Unfortunately tweaking the timing and exporting did not fix the problem this time.

I hope this information might be helpful to someone in the future.

My software: Vixen 3.2 Build 115 ---> FPP
My hardware: 12 SSRs hardwired to Raspberry PI GPIOs

CaptainMurdoch
10-20-2015, 10:19 PM
I have a copy of his sequence now, I just need to find time to sit down long enough to take a look at it.