PDA

View Full Version : Mini Tree Wiring Configuration options. Your opinion

ChristmasBuddy
10-12-2015, 02:36 PM
I am adding 12 mini trees to my show which will be pixel based. They'll be driven by PX-1 (one per tree). Next year I'll switch to a AlphaPix controller for all twelve minis .

Anyway.

I was thinking about the wiring and wondering about mounting the wires in vertical lengths or wrapping the tree in circles from ground up. I was planning 50 pixels per tree but I could go up to 100.

There are certainly advantages to both methods even randomly dispersing but I thought I would get some feedback from the more experienced.

Thanks!

Buddy

arw01
10-12-2015, 04:43 PM
most of the software expects a straight line or zig zags. you can do custom models to compensate, but just making your life difficult not going in straight lines. Some software would let you then re-assign the channels to layers, groups, controllers in any order you want the channels.

TazChaLet
10-12-2015, 04:48 PM
just wondering why you would use 1 for each tree since you could do 4 trees with 50 pixels using power injection into the last 3 I have a pixel tree I use 2 px1s too run it and the star

ChristmasBuddy
10-12-2015, 07:24 PM
@aew01
I've seen both and I like both. So I'm just trying to figure
out what I will use. Actually, I may try combining both but
we'll see how my demo model goes. Being that I am geared for
software I don't mind the work aspect of it.

@TazChaLet
You are correct James! I could do that but I have bigger plans
for 2016 so my PX-1s will be doing a whole lot more per unit.
So this will give me the first phase of my learning curve for
bring my vision into view.

Buddy

Skunberg
10-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Being pixels and controlling each bulb it really doesn't matter, other than the support software as already mentioned. I believe the zig-zag (vertical lines) is the most supported in software.

ChristmasBuddy
10-13-2015, 04:59 AM
@Skunberg
Thanks for your comment. Going vertical will probably be my first path with the first 50 pixels. I guess my question at this point would be if the lights are vertical and zig-zag is it still easy to do a chase starting at the bottom and working up? I'm using Vixen 3 btw.

My second set of 50 I was planning on wrapping them horizontally and then I would have my chasing ability. Each strand would be on it own universe.

That is what I was thinking.

My demo tree should be ready this weekend.

Buddy

Spyder
10-18-2015, 06:20 AM
I've been thinking this out myself and planned to do mini pixel trees 7x7. If you set them up as mega trees in the preview then it should work as intended within the preview.

With Vixen's grouping power you can group any of the pixels into sub groups to sequence them.

I'm leaning towards setting mine up in rings maybe 4 or 5 layers. It feels a little simpler to then group the levels to chase up and down each tree and to chase the bottom halves one way then chase the tops in the opposite direction. Of course this is still possible with vertical strings thanks to the grouping power of Vixen although it may take a bit more work on the grouping side of things.

I suppose it all depends on the look your looking for and how you would like to group and sequence them in smaller chunks.

Skunberg
10-18-2015, 11:48 AM
@Skunberg
Thanks for your comment. Going vertical will probably be my first path with the first 50 pixels. I guess my question at this point would be if the lights are vertical and zig-zag is it still easy to do a chase starting at the bottom and working up? I'm using Vixen 3 btw.

My second set of 50 I was planning on wrapping them horizontally and then I would have my chasing ability. Each strand would be on it own universe.

That is what I was thinking.

My demo tree should be ready this weekend.

Buddy
With pixels you are controlling each bulb individually. So you can chase up, chase sideways, chase spiral or want ever you can thing of because your in control of each bulb regardless of how they are strung.