PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for a wire frame

ChristmasBuddy
10-06-2015, 10:24 AM
I do not have access to a welders torch or anything like that.

The wire structure that I have is pretty basic and stable. Here is what I am trying to do.

I want to wire it up for one of my decorations but when I use a zip tie it continually slides down no matter how tight I have the zip pulled.

Is there something cheap and effective that I can add to the wire that will hold the light in place with a zip tie.

Thanks!

Buddy

THurrle
10-06-2015, 10:39 AM
post a picture and maybe I can help you on that

MrSmoofy
10-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Maybe file a groove in the wire frame to keep the zip tie from moving? I would paint the filed spot to prevent rust.

toozie21
10-06-2015, 10:56 AM
What about some JB Weld?

ChristmasBuddy
10-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Hmmm ... JB Weld? I just read the web page for this.

@THurrle
It is a wire simple frame that looks like a old style sigh a realtor used years ago.

My plan is to use it for a simple matrix for my "Tune to" sign.

Buddy

smallcrpt
10-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Yeah any strong epoxy for metal. There's a few different ones available at home depot. Very easy to use and hold extremely well.
Good luck

ChristmasBuddy
10-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Mucho Thanks! Home Depot is my friend.

Buddy

Sulrich
10-06-2015, 03:19 PM
if you use aluminum, a simple propane torch from home depot will handle alumiweld from Harbor freight. Torch $45, alumiweld $15 (Before 20% coupon), best prices on aluminum i found was metalsdepot.com.. simple to use, plenty of youtube videos on how to use it. just make sure the metal is plenty hot and dont melt the alumiweld with the torch. heat the metal until when you touch the stick to the metal it flows. It makes a strong bond (20,000 psi strength i heard/read somewhere)

ChristmasBuddy
10-06-2015, 03:35 PM
I definitely want to get into some level of welding but I'll wait on that. Thanks for the info though. I'll try the epoxy path first.

thanks!

Buddy

THurrle
10-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Looks like you got a bunch of ideas which were good. If is is aluminum you would not really be able to wled it with a mig. I hear it can be done but not v\real easy. I would get yourself and Harbor freight mig with gas to start. i have a 220 volt one from there and am in my fifth year with it and only reached duty cycle one time. I build a number of frames each year. With a little practice you with master it in no time. I had never used a mig and it was not hard to do.
Terry

rstehle
10-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Looks like you got a bunch of ideas which were good. If is is aluminum you would not really be able to wled it with a mig. I hear it can be done but not v\real easy. I would get yourself and Harbor freight mig with gas to start. i have a 220 volt one from there and am in my fifth year with it and only reached duty cycle one time. I build a number of frames each year. With a little practice you with master it in no time. I had never used a mig and it was not hard to do.
Terry

But, how many grinders have you gone thru..............LOL :lol::lol::lol: