PDA

View Full Version : Need alittle help

Traneman
09-28-2015, 08:37 AM
I can get my lights working using Vixen 3,but can not get them working using FPP.I can play music but no lights.

here are a couple of screen shots.I have set up Vixen 3 with one big controller that has all my channels in it.

I have the B+ with v1.2

Any pointers as to what to check or what Iam doing wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks

DrNeutron
09-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Without being in front of my E682 to play with, there is one thing that doesn't seem to make sense...
The E682 is showing 4 outputs in use at 299 pixels/output. This would be 1196 pixels or 3588 channels. Wouldn't that correlate to an end Universe number of 7 plus 18 channels? (7 X 510 = 3570) + 18 = 3588.
The second group looks OK as far as calculating universe numbers go (3 universes plus 342 channels).

Technician
09-28-2015, 12:02 PM
The E682 is set up to receive universes 1-12. Some routers can be set up to not forward some packet types. Since the show computer IS getting data to the lights, you may wish to unplug the show computer from the Network and using the same network connection, check if the Raspberry can send from that location. If it works, you have a router or switch between the Pi and 682 that is not forwarding the packets.

For testing, it may be a good idea to temporally switch from Unicast to Multicast and monitor the network to see if the Pi is sending the traffic OK. Highly recommended for troubleshooting. Needs to be Multicast to receive the data. http://sacnview.sourceforge.net/

Also for testing, it may be a good idea to temporally reduce the number of universes transmitted to just one IP address.

Just a sanity check. What address is the Pi set to? Is it in the 192.168.0.X range? Is it not on .212? Address conflicts can cause this.

4586shaggy
09-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Not an expert, but pretty sure that if you are using a full universe with pixels, 510 channels, u have to start the next universe at 1, the 2 remaining channels cannot be used... so universe 1 ch 1-510, then start at universe 2 1-510. I don't think that you can combine the 2 universes to use the last 2 channels of the first one...

budude
09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Never mind...

4586shaggy
09-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Deleted

Traneman
09-28-2015, 03:07 PM
The E682 is set up to receive universes 1-12. Some routers can be set up to not forward some packet types. Since the show computer IS getting data to the lights, you may wish to unplug the show computer from the Network and using the same network connection, check if the Raspberry can send from that location. If it works, you have a router or switch between the Pi and 682 that is not forwarding the packets.

For testing, it may be a good idea to temporally switch from Unicast to Multicast and monitor the network to see if the Pi is sending the traffic OK. Highly recommended for troubleshooting. Needs to be Multicast to receive the data. http://sacnview.sourceforge.net/

Also for testing, it may be a good idea to temporally reduce the number of universes transmitted to just one IP address.

Just a sanity check. What address is the Pi set to? Is it in the 192.168.0.X range? Is it not on .212? Address conflicts can cause this.

I wont be able to play with it until I get home later today.

The pi is set up as stand alone, it is not going through a router. However it is going to a switch, so basically pi into switch and switch out to 3- E682's.

I will try to connect the pi directly to the E682 for testing.

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions please chime in.

Thanks

Technician
09-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Bingo! I think Shaggy nailed it. In each universe set the addresses from 1 to 510. See this youtube which goes over setting up the universes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4vHiuefB0

4586shaggy
09-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Maybe I am an expert and didn't even know it [emoji14]

Traneman
09-28-2015, 04:19 PM
OK now Iam confused look at #5

http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials:_FPP_Setup

am I missing something with my pea brain?

jklingert
09-28-2015, 04:47 PM
What is odd is that you had some data come down in universe 12 that the controller saw, maybe that was from an earlier test / config (universe 12 is configured for the next ip address not this one). Remember that you need to hit the update button to make sure the changes have been saved. I always restart the controller after changes just to make sure it is configured correctly. Then run a sequence and see if the packets received counters are updating in the controller screen.

Traneman
09-28-2015, 07:14 PM
ok got it almost worked out I think, I will try and explain.
I have the pi setup wireless so I can shh to it from my PC it was 192.168.0.x I had the pi hardwired to a switch on 192.168.0.x. My E692 is on ip 192.0.168.x.

I had to change the wired ip of the pi to 192.168.1.x and the ip to E682 to 192.168.1.x and change my setup in pi as well. Still no blinky from the pi yet but I think I have to change the ip address in Vixen Controller setup and then export to fseq.
reload pi and then see what happens.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Technician
09-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Follow the last video carefully. Important, under status, did the Daemon get stopped and started again?
Is your songfile in the correct format? Ogg, not MP3
https://vimeo.com/77589618

Traneman
09-28-2015, 08:56 PM
I have seen that video many times,it is an older video. FPPD now supports mp3.

I know its just something stupid someplace,that I cant find yet

CaptainMurdoch
09-28-2015, 10:48 PM
In FPP, try disabling the universes for your other controllers if they are not online during the test.

Traneman
09-28-2015, 11:08 PM
In FPP, try disabling the universes for your other controllers if they are not online during the test.

Thank you Captain, I tried that and nothing.

CaptainMurdoch
09-29-2015, 03:50 AM
Do any of the counters on the controller go up when FPP is playing a sequence?

Traneman
09-29-2015, 08:10 AM
No Sir, the E682's counter do not go up. I even tried it using the test function in FPP. The lights do work as I have had them operating using my PC and Vixen 3

MartinMueller2003
09-29-2015, 09:59 AM
If you want to test network connectivity I suggest you run SACNView on your PC and verify that you can send E1.31 packets to the bridge. Having an independent tool verify connectivity is always a good thing.

Traneman
09-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Wouldnt being able to run the lights with my pc and Vixen 3 be the same or no ?

MartinMueller2003
09-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Wouldnt being able to run the lights with my pc and Vixen 3 be the same or no ?

Yes and no. There are always a lot of questions about getting the configuration right and sending proper data to the elements. Did you patch correctly etc. If all you want to know is' have you got the network set up right and is the bridge working', then using a simple test program like SACNView is what you would use to reduce the number of variables in play. Once the system works with SACNView, then you test with your scheduler and at that point you can be sure the issue is on the scheduler end of the the setup.

For example, I just assembled some of the ESP based pixel sticks. The first data I sent was from SACNView to make sure the sticks conformed to an E1.31 ratified data source. Then I set up Vixen with a test pattern. It makes ruling out problems much simpler when you reduce the number of variables.

jchuchla
09-29-2015, 01:59 PM
I think I have to change the ip address in Vixen Controller setup and then export to fseq.
reload pi and then see what happens.

The actual universe configuration from the vixen output controller does not get exported. so changing it in there will have no effect. in fact, you could have skipped the universe setup altogether in vixen and exported it and it would still work. The way vixen's export works is it creates the FSEQ file with the patching information on the output controller(s). the order that the elements are patched to the output controller will be the order they appear in the fseq file. The xml file that gets exported with the sequence is a guideline as to how it was set up in vixen at the time of the export and can be used as a guideline for setting up the FPP's outputs.

I'm betting your problem is in your networks. Did you change your gateways as well? If you moved the Pi to a 192.168.1 subnet, then the gateway for that interface on the pi should be in the same subnet. If you still have it in the 192.168.0 subnet, it may be trying to send the data out the wrong LAN interface. Typically you'd only want the one interface that has internet connectivity to have a gateway address. The other should be blank. That will ensure that outbound traffic to the internet only goes thru the gateway that actually exists. Honestly I don't know what Linux does when you have two interfaces set to the same gateway. I'd assume the first defined interface wins.

Is your 192.168.1 subnet isolated from the 192.168.0 subnet, or is there routing going on somewhere to route traffic between them?

Is there any reason that your wired and wireless networks are on different subnets? That may be making things unnecessarily complicated.

Technician
09-29-2015, 02:08 PM
He started with everything on the .0 subnet, then moved everything to the .1 subnet.

Just to ask, Did you try SCAN View? It has been mentioned by 3 members now.

aaronross
09-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I had the exact same issue about a month ago. Turned out to be a conflict with my ip addresses. Make sure that the PI's ethernet ip, wireless ip, and the ip's of the devices on your network dont share any of the same ones. Also, the wireless ip that you assign in FPP shouldn't have the subnet mask.

Can you provide some screen shots of your FPP network setup? Can you access FPP web interface on your network?

Traneman
09-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks Jon,
I will double check all of that when I get home. I do know I have the pi setup Wlan0 as 192.168.0.x so I can get to the pi wirelessly from my pc.
The eth0 is set to 192.168.1.10 and is hard wired to a switch and my E682 is 192.168.1.212 that is hard wired to the switch also.

I am trying to make this a standalone system but be able to get to the pi from my PC for changes or whatever.

Thanks

Technician
09-29-2015, 03:30 PM
When using Unicast, the Pi and E682 have to be on the same subnet. In your example they should both be 192.168.0.X. Only Multicast will cross subnets. For example I'm using Multicast and my Pi is on 10.0.0.5 and my DIYLED Express bridge is on 192.168.1.200. This cross subnet only works on the same physical lan segment, eg switch, and when using Multicast, not Unicast.

Is your Pi on the same subnet as the lights? Eg both 192.168.0.X?

Traneman
09-29-2015, 04:22 PM
O boy O boy I hate how this hobby can make you feel like such a dummy and I hate to have to write this post. But here goes.

I got home and Downloaded Sacnview and figured out how to use it, bingo my lights where working, ok back to square one,Why are my lights not working on the pi mmmmmmmmmmm

My pi is 192.168.1.10 on the wired lan to my switch my E682 is set to ip 192.168.1.212. The wireless lan on the pi is 192.168.0.16 and my computer is 192.168.0.x.

Just for the heck of it I typed in 192.168.0.212 and my web page for the E682 came up mmmmm why would that happen? I looked at my ip address on the E682 and it was set to 192.168.1.212 WHATTTTTT. Just by chance I reset the
E682 and tried logging back into the web page,,,,,,,nothing. NOW WHAT.....

I decided to reconnect the pi and was listening for the ip addresses it said " I have found the following ip addresses 192.168.1.10,192.168.0.16 I looked over and my lights where blinking and music was playing from the pi.

Then it dawned on me, when I changed the ip address on the E682 I must not have reset it, that was a day and a half ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to thank everyone for their input on this and putting up with me. I have read,read,watched videos and reread so I thought I knew exactly what I was doing. Then miss something as simple as resetting a controller after a change.

If anyone knows a site that has a simple explanation of ip addressing I would like try and understand it better.

Thanks again,

Red in the Face in Utah

Technician
09-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Google is your friend for understanding IP addressing. One good thing to search for is understanding that the numbers we see are directly connected to their Binary value. You will need this to understand how a net mask works.

To simplify the heavy math, for most of what we do, 0 in a netmask = 00000000. This means a Netmask of 255.255.255.0 will block all traffic except in the last place, so if your net is 192.168.1.X, only those devices in the 192.168.1.X range can talk to each other.

If you need a larger network, another private net space is reserved on 10.X.X.X. The Netmask for this network is 256.0.0.0. This means a device on 10.2.56.122 can directly talk to a device on 10.0.0.24. If you want to segment this lan for your corporation, you can use a Netmask of 255.255.0.0. This will segment it so the finance department can all be on 10.2.X.X and shipping can be on 10.3.X.X.

Understanding NAT, DNS, DHCP, and a whole bunch of other networking will require some self study on your part.

In simple terms, DNS is Dynamic Name Service. All this does is enable you to type in www.google.com in your browser and up comes google, even though your network card has no idea. The number is looked up and the routing to Google is completed because the number is looked up.
For example, plug this number into your browser address bar. 216.58.216.164 It is google. Most people find it difficult to remember the address for Google, Facebook, Doityourselfchristmas, etc, so DNS does this for you.

Enjoy exploring TCP/IP.