PDA

View Full Version : Securing Snowflakes To The Roof??

mikentn
09-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Evening, all;

This year I'm planning on adding 12 wireframe snowflakes to my roof. I've got the snowflakes, now I'm trying to figure out how to secure them to the roof. Does anyone do this, and if so, how do you secure yours??

Thanks!

Mike

mikentn
09-17-2015, 08:40 AM
BTW, I'm planning on laying them flat on the shingles. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Skunberg
09-17-2015, 10:43 AM
I don't have a roof facing the street so I only put a star or snowflake at the peak. But I've seen what your talking about done a zillion ways. Using clips for light strings to hold things. I've seen wires go over the peak to a sand bag to hold things. I've seen a pole attached to the gutter that goes up to hold them. I've seen people run horizontal wires across the roof and hang them off the wire. I've seen frames built to hold them. The list goes on and on.

jnealand
09-17-2015, 10:47 AM
I just laid my snowflakes flat on the roof with the power cord zip tied to my ridge line. That keeps them from sliding down, but would allow them to swing side to side, but I never saw that happen. What did happen is that laying them flat on the roof allows them to collect water and leaves in my "non-snow" area. That killed my snowflakes that used bulbs, but not the ones made from rope light which survived fine. I would recommend you put a couple of vertically placed 1x2s or short pieces of PVC under each snowflake so that debris and water will flow underneath the snowflakes.

mikentn
09-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I figured there was probably a multitude of ways to do it, but when I do a search, most of the threads that come up are for attaching reindeer, sleighs, and wireframes that must be propped up. I had thought about using shingle clips, but am not real wild about using them on the front side of the shingles. Was thinking about using some sort of wire/sandbag method, and thought I'd get some opinions from those that have done it.

Good idea about using some 1x2 to keep the snowflakes off of the roof for water flow. Thanks!

thevikester
09-17-2015, 11:46 AM
I have the 42 inch plastic ones from Phillips...buy at Target...I took rebar, painted the rebar, and zip tied them to the snowflake...lay flat on the roof, works like a champ!

Skunberg
09-17-2015, 04:38 PM
I have the 42 inch plastic ones from Phillips...buy at Target...I took rebar, painted the rebar, and zip tied them to the snowflake...lay flat on the roof, works like a champ!
I like that one! How big diameter rebar did you use?

MikeKrebs
09-19-2015, 01:49 AM
I had three foot dowel stars with rope light last year. There was plenty of friction to hold them but i looped a couple of places on each with just a piece of twine attached over the roof line to shingle clips on the back side of the Ridge vent. Mostly did that to offset the power cable weight which ran down the front side. This year am thinking about several schemes but in all cases will probably run the power up the roof and onto the backside. That will probably be enough to hold it in place.

arw01
09-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Likely going to use a bit of extra pex or pvc to lift them slightly off the roof so water can run under them. In the PWN we can get ice dams if you are not carefull with items on the roof flat. To secure I believe will use some of the aluminum shingle hooks I bought a couple of years ago with a piece of fishing line.

I am concerned about too many lines going hither and tither up there and tripping me at some point of being up on the roof, KISS it for me.

mikentn
09-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to use something to raise them slightly as well. I'm thinking of going with some 1x2 so they will still lie relatively flat. Also thinking of using some beige paracord to run up and over the ridgeline to another small piece of 1x2 , and place a sandbag over that to keep it from sliding. The beige paracord should blend in nicely with my brownish beige shingles.

jnealand
09-21-2015, 02:21 PM
I have just used the power cord to keep the snowflakes from slipping down, why bother with paracord, just one more thing to do and more things to step over when you are walking on the roof. Besides as far as color goes no one can see the power cord or the paracord at night.

go put a snowflake on the roof right now and see how far it moves over the next couple of weeks. I'm betting on very little.

angus40
09-21-2015, 02:36 PM
I zip tied metal coat hangers to mine , then bent the hangers to prop up the flakes .

Works great on a shingled roof .

This will be the 4th year doing so .

mikentn
09-21-2015, 03:26 PM
I have just used the power cord to keep the snowflakes from slipping down, why bother with paracord, just one more thing to do and more things to step over when you are walking on the roof. Besides as far as color goes no one can see the power cord or the paracord at night.

go put a snowflake on the roof right now and see how far it moves over the next couple of weeks. I'm betting on very little.
I'm planning on running all of the power cords downward to a controller vs upwards towards the ridgeline, and I can't go throw a snowflake up on the roof right now - my boss wouldn't view that as a productive use of their time. ;-) I'll try to throw one up there before dark. Thanks for the reply. :-)

Edit: as far as using beige paracord, I know no one will be able to see it at night, but my dearly beloved will most surely see it during the day, and will continually remind me how bad it looks if I don't try to camouflage it as much as I can. It's why I have 10-12 beige extension cords in my storage building that only get used at Christmas.

mikentn
09-21-2015, 03:33 PM
I zip tied metal coat hangers to mine , then bent the hangers to prop up the flakes .

Works great on a shingled roof .

This will be the 4th year doing so .
Good idea! I'll keep that in mind should I decide they need to be angled.

smallcrpt
09-21-2015, 09:20 PM
i have a large forward facing roof... i used to run mason string between them all and secure them into the clips that help the lights onto the peak... it used to take me forever.. but i got solar panels last year. so no go on that side of the roof. but it does look bad during the day, it was white mason string... but couldn't see it at all during the night

good luck, i plan on changing it something simple like pvc and weight

duane.mosley
01-24-2016, 09:56 PM
i know this thread is a few months old, but here is a link to a thread on DLA about how i did my snowflakes on my roof. just thought i would share.

http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=14661.0

mikentn
01-25-2016, 01:50 AM
i know this thread is a few months old, but here is a link to a thread on DLA about how i did my snowflakes on my roof. just thought i would share.

http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=14661.0

I appreciate it. I ended up running paracord up over the roofline and securing it to a sandbag. I also ended up running the power up to the ridgeline as well, and used bent coathangers to angle the snowflakes up a bit to improve the viewing angle. Thanks for replying though.

arw01
01-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Still thinking on this one. I laid my snowflakes flat which didn't really help. Slipped aluminum shingle hooks under and zip tied to that. We had a couple of 60mph winds BEFORE I did this, so a lot more paranoid about it since there are hundreds of houses around with shingles ripped off their roofs and blue tarps on them.

Ultimately trying to find something better for as a permanent anchor point that would not be a tripping hazard, put holes in the roof etc. My contractor suggested solar panel mounts, but not sure I want the peg sticking up on the roof all year long.

CatMan42
01-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Guys, two words, Spider Wire. I had four singing faces on the roof last show that three points of non-anchored contact with the shingles. I used spider wire (fishing line) to make a tether system for them. Spider wire is almost invisible and cam be bought in tensile strengths up to 200 pound pull at just about any sporting goods store.

Here's a couple of pictures of my set-up....

If you look close at the picture looking down toward the street, you can actually see the spider wire tether that holds the wire frames from sliding off the roof. I also had wires connecting from the bottom and sides of the faces. This controlled upward and side winds. We had several wind storms during this last season, INCLUDING a tornado just 8 miles from the house in Garland, that produced winds over 60 mph. The faces never moved or had to be re-adjusted.

Just saying.....

CatMan42
01-26-2016, 09:49 PM
You can also use picture hanging wire that is plastic coated (available in bulk lengths on eBay).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Picture-Hanging-Wire-Vinyl-Covered-Stainless-Steel-/181976201052?var=&hash=item2a5ea0775c:m:m1aPihcx7wHS2D9OIkqC7dQ

It's actually a lot tougher, but more visible. But really not that much more visible. I've used both, either one works great!!

duane.mosley
01-27-2016, 10:44 PM
i used some 24 gauged galvanized wire from home depot. it works great and is easy to work with. i've been using it for 4 seasons now and you can't see it from the street at my house which is around 40'.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-250-ft-x-24-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Wire-50137/100144004