PDA

View Full Version : X Lights converter

funstick
08-28-2015, 10:14 PM
If I solely want to use the x lights program to convert a Vix file to an .fseq file, do I have to setup anything in X Lights? Reason I ask is every time I try to convert the Vix file I get an error. It won't convert at all. The file I want to convert is a Vixen 2 sequence so I may use it for the FAlcon player. Do I need to set something up first in X Lights.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

R/
Mike

CaptainMurdoch
08-29-2015, 12:29 AM
I think you have to have universes defined. Just setup enough E1.31 universes to fulfill the maximum number of channels you have in your sequence file and then save the config and you can then use the convert screen to convert.

If you are running a small number of channels, you might also be able to use FPP to convert the sequences. FPP uses a standalone version of the xLights converter to allow you to upload small sequence files and convert them to FPP's native .fseq file format. This is all done via the web UI. If you want to try this route, upload your Vixen 2 sequence to FPP using the FPP File Manager, then go to the 'Uploads' tab and select the file and click the 'convert' button. If FPP can convert the file, it will be created and visible in the 'Sequences' tab and can then be used by FPP. Due to the way the xLights converter works, this will only work for smaller sequences because of the limited memory on the Pi and BBB.

funstick
08-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Captain,

I only have 96 channels running 4 Renard ss24 boards. I haven't started with pixels YET but will eventually. So if I understand you right, if I set up 96 universes and that is only the only thing I do the conversion should take place? I am not at all familiar with X Lights. Are there any other settings that I need to do with the universes to make the conversion work?

Thanks so much!

dkulp
08-29-2015, 09:18 AM
No, one universe of at least 96 channels for your case. :-)

It's basically so it knows how many channels to allocate in the fseq file.

funstick
08-29-2015, 10:03 AM
It has appeared to work without providing me an error. Thanks!!! Now I just need to go back and finish setting up FPP and connect my Renards to see if it works. Question - are the Renards plug and play in a serial setup like in Vixen or is there a lot of configuring in FPP to make them work? I see Firecop has a couple of threads going concerning Renards with FPP.

CaptainMurdoch
08-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Setup is easy:

- plugin all your dongles
- shutdown and power off FPP and your hub and then power them back on to make sure the dongles are listed in the order they will be if you ever reboot again.
- add each Renard channel output and select the proper serial dongle and configure the absolute start channel and number of channels on the output.
- save the config and restart fppd using the button that appeared at the top of the page when you hit save.
- upload your sequence and test.

You can also use the channel test screen to turn channels on and off to test the outputs. If you run into any issues, just ask.

funstick
08-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Captain,

THANK YOU very much for the information! I think you have given me some confidence to move forward. Today I pulled down some of my Renard controllers out of my hot Florida attic (130 degrees) and I will start to play with this tonight over a cold adult beverage(s).

You speak of dongles, plural. My current setup and don't laugh is an old IBM laptop that had a serial port on it so I mounted a female serial port to a RJ45 cable and daisy chained the first renard that way and then used the unmodified RJ45 cables to connect the other 3 renard boards. Now that I am using a Rasberry PI with USB, I plan to use one HEXIN USB 2.0 to RS485/422G dongle then serial the remaining 3 renard boards using their network ports with cables. Do you think this will work or do I need to use a dongle for each board? Also, do you recommend using a different dongle?

Thanks Again!

R/
Mike

budude
08-29-2015, 02:50 PM
When you connect up Renards end-to-end you are effectively making one large Renard so it really makes no difference to the sequencer (any) if you have a RenSS24 or a RenSS96.

Moving to the FPP is a good plan - I'm going on my 3rd year with it - best decision ever...

funstick
08-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Bud use,

What dongle are you using?

R/
Mike

budude
08-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Bud use,

What dongle are you using?

R/
Mike

I am not using an RS485 dongle myself - I run my Renards from my E681 pixel controller in DMX mode. I had all kinds of problems with Vixen and LOR running my show from the show runners but basically none since going to FPP.

CaptainMurdoch
08-30-2015, 12:08 AM
If you daisy chain controllers then you only need one dongle. I am not sure if that one works in Linux or not, you should be able to google it. If it is supported in Linux it should work with FPP. Easiest way to know for sure is plug it in and see if it is recognized and shows up as something like "ttyUSB0" in the FPP channel output config screen.

Skunberg
08-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Sounds like you were using serial rs232 and will be changing to rs485. Which may require a jumper change or something depending on the Renard board. Check it out.

THurrle
08-30-2015, 09:43 AM
I bought this one from another member who had and extra and said it works great with FPP.
http://www.amazon.com/Interface-Protocol-Vonverter-Converter-protection/dp/B00GI9IQ9E

funstick
08-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Thank you guys! Much appreciated!!