PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Options for rPi2, Switch, VAST?

m00dawg
08-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Curious what folks are using to mount their rPi/Pi2, Switch, Radio, etc.? I was thinking of trying out something like a CG-1000 and seeing if I can get stuff mounted in the box somehow, perhaps with a fan blowing over the rPi2 (I already have heatsinks on the 2 main chips)?

I was hoping to mount mine near my other controller boxes, which will be in the garage. Since the VAST is so small, I may figure out how to mount it separately depending on where I need to put the antenna (I'd imagine I'll need to try and put it to the side of our metal garage door). But I still have the rPi itself, a switch, power supplies for both, possibly a USB hub (though so far the rPi2's 4 ports are working well on their own), and, if there's enough room, the E1.31 bridge.

I realize this is not super on topic to the FPP sub-forum but thought it was the closest match since I would guess many folks are using an rPi/Pi2 with FPP?

MartinMueller2003
08-24-2015, 08:10 AM
This year my rPi devices will be mounted on a plastic plate, placed on the top of an overturned plastic 18 gallon plastic tote with another overturned tote placed over the whole thing. I also plan to put a weight on top to keep the top tote from trying to blow away. In the inside space I typically have had a couple of chunks of wood to maintain the space and keep thing from getting crushed. This year I am going to try to use some lengths of PVC to build a frame (in the past the wood kept falling over and I did not want to build a wood frame).

m00dawg
08-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Hmm that does bring up a good point that I could probably just put some of this stuff on a shelf. My switch has wall mount cut-outs and I can retrofit my old rPi1 case that also has those. I was trying to keep things somewhat compact. Though since it's in the garage, I don't have to worry quite so much about exposure.