PDA

View Full Version : Mixing diff V+ pixels on the same matrix

thebaronn
08-16-2015, 08:19 PM
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has ever used different voltage pixels in the same matrix? I am thinking of mixing 5V and 12V (cause I am too cheap to purchase more of either unless I have to).

if you have, could you please let me know what your thoughts were?

Thank you
Eric

EE351
08-16-2015, 08:47 PM
It shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you don't tie the positives (5+ and 12+) together. However, the grounds will need to be tied together. You could use a modified computer power supply since it has both a 5v and 12v rail.

thebaronn
08-16-2015, 09:02 PM
It shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you don't tie the positives (5+ and 12+) together. However, the grounds will need to be tied together. You could use a modified computer power supply since it has both a 5v and 12v rail.

If I keep all the pixels on separate controllers, do I still need to do that?

But what about the look? I put a few pixels together and I don't notice a difference, but what happens when it is 1000s of each in sectors? Will I notice it? And will it be noticeable to a person just chillin' in the car and watching?

Technician
08-16-2015, 09:13 PM
5 and 12 on the same controller is fine as the controller is only needed to send data to the pixels. Both varieties of pixels have 5V data so they have no problem running on the same controller, and they even work when pixels are cascaded as long as each string is supplied with the correct voltage. Inject power to a segment of pixels at the first pixel with both ground and power from the supply.

As mentioned earlier, to send the data, the data AND ground is needed to send the data from one string to the next.

To prevent accidents with voltage, I have taken some of my pixels and directly wired them to the proper voltage wall wart and extend just ground and data on an RJ45 plug to obtain data.