PDA

View Full Version : Motors for animation

Christmasnut
08-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Hello to all.

I am new to Christmas animations and am at a stand still on mortorizing the following:

A Ferris wheel - not sure a wiper motor will power a 7 ft pvc wheel with figures

Trying to animate a skating pond with a 5 ft ballerina and a 5 ft nutcracker out of 1/4 inch plywood. Not sure 2 wiper motors from monster guts with power each of these?

If I use a box fan motor I am concerned about weather proofing. Any ideas?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I get these motorized I will gladly post pics and plans for building.

Thanks

Christmasnut

Popo-B-Trippin
08-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Don't underestimate the torque on a wiper motor... in particular the ones from monsterguts.com. I've been able to animate some pretty heavy things with those.

My 2 cents...

ErnieHorning
08-04-2015, 10:45 PM
If the Ferris wheel is balanced and the barring’s spin freely, you’ll only have starting torque to worry about.

1983ss454
08-05-2015, 12:28 AM
I have a snoopy that skates made out of 1/4" plywood, that spins using a BBQ rotisserie motor. Wiper motors will have more then enough power, and the nice thing about them is the different connectors that can control the speed and you can use 5v or 12v power supply to control the speed as well

Christmasnut
08-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your replies. Very helpful info. I am gonna give it a try. My Ferris wheel is put together for the most part and on its stand. rotating it by hand is smooth. Just need to stabilize my baskets horizontally and put a motor on it.

Christmasnut