View Full Version : Vixen 3.2 Now Available

jchuchla
07-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Need I Say more?

http://www.vixenlights.com/downloads/vixen-3-downloads/

JCook
07-28-2015, 08:17 PM
SWEEEEEET!!!!

Thanks for all of the hard work. cant wait to try it out!

chris2879
07-28-2015, 09:47 PM
Awesome work guys! I love the effect preview!

Kev7274
07-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Awesome!

jeffu231
07-28-2015, 10:26 PM
If you are installing it as an upgrade to an older version, make sure you uninstall the old one and install 3.2 into a clean directory. We have removed some older dead modules that can cause issues if they are left when the new version is installed over an old version.

Traneman
07-28-2015, 10:38 PM
arrrgh now you tell me :biggrin

What do we do with the sequencing we have already started.

I am really excited to get started

Thanks everyone

jeffu231
07-28-2015, 10:40 PM
The sequencing/profile is fine and needs no changes. Any existing sequences will work just fine. Just make sure the folder the Vixen application is installed into is a clean folder. This is typically the C:\Program Files\Vixen folder in a normal install.

TazChaLet
07-28-2015, 10:44 PM
I went too my programs and features in windows 8.1 and uninstalled vixen and then reinstalled and the sequences/profiles are still there and work

4586shaggy
07-28-2015, 10:45 PM
any compatibility issues with winxp?

jchuchla
07-28-2015, 10:54 PM
It will NOT work on Windows XP. This version is based on the .net framework version 4.5.2 which does not support windows XP. Blame Microsoft.

jchuchla
07-28-2015, 10:54 PM
arrrgh now you tell me :biggrin

What do we do with the sequencing we have already started.

I am really excited to get started

Thanks everyone

your old sequences will open fine in this new version. You can pick up right where you left off.

4586shaggy
07-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Yeah. I tried going all the way back to 4.1 no luck

Traneman
07-28-2015, 11:37 PM
It worked great, as usual I thought I did a clean install but noooooooo.After I went into control Panel/Programs and Features and deleted vixen and reinstalled 3.2 everything worked perfect.
I have my sequences,songs setup everything.

Now the fun begins.

Thanks

MrSmoofy
07-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Got it installed but have a question.

From the release notes "The monolithic Nutcracker module has been retired."

What does that actually mean. I thought I also read on a thread on here that all the Nutcracker effects would be listed with the others not in their own dialog but that doesn't seem to be the case.

jchuchla
07-29-2015, 08:43 AM
That note is a bit misleading. The release notes aren't the most user friendly explaination of things. THe highlights page on the website was written specifically to clarify things. vixenlights.com/3-2-highlights.
Here's what's actually going on. We're splitting the one big nutcracker effect that you're used to seeing into separate individual effects. This release has 8 of the 20 effects completed. The other 12 are still yet to be done. So the old effect is still there for now.
There are also some subtle differences between the 8 new ones and their predecessors that makes automatic conversion difficult. So we chose to not attempt automatic conversion of the existing effects. In order to preserve backward compatibility, with existing sequences, the old effect needs to remain. We're letting the users manually migrate their sequences to use the new effects so that you can decide how it really should look.
Our recommendation it to avoid using the old NC effect in new sequences where the new 8 effects will work. The new ones are more efficient, and more flexible. We will eventually deprecate the old effect completely. We may write some automatic migration routines or we may end up crippling the old effect so that it will play previously added effects but will no longer allow you to add new instances of it. But naturally, we need to first get the other 12 effects replaced with new versions.

MrSmoofy
07-29-2015, 08:49 AM
That note is a bit misleading. The release notes aren't the most user friendly explaination of things. THe highlights page on the website was written specifically to clarify things. vixenlights.com/3-2-highlights.
Here's what's actually going on. We're splitting the one big nutcracker effect that you're used to seeing into separate individual effects. This release has 8 of the 20 effects completed. The other 12 are still yet to be done. So the old effect is still there for now.
There are also some subtle differences between the 8 new ones and their predecessors that makes automatic conversion difficult. So we chose to not attempt automatic conversion of the existing effects. In order to preserve backward compatibility, with existing sequences, the old effect needs to remain. We're letting the users manually migrate their sequences to use the new effects so that you can decide how it really should look.
Our recommendation it to avoid using the old NC effect in new sequences where the new 8 effects will work. The new ones are more efficient, and more flexible. We will eventually deprecate the old effect completely. We may write some automatic migration routines or we may end up crippling the old effect so that it will play previously added effects but will no longer allow you to add new instances of it. But naturally, we need to first get the other 12 effects replaced with new versions.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

pixelpuppy
07-29-2015, 11:52 AM
If you are installing it as an upgrade to an older version, make sure you uninstall the old one and install 3.2 into a clean directory. We have removed some older dead modules that can cause issues if they are left when the new version is installed over an old version.
"issues" as in lock-ups? I missed this step and just installed 3.2 over the previous version. All seems fine except that I've had it lock-up on me a few times now.

I guess I'll remove it all and start over with a clean install to see if the lock-ups go away. BTW, I'm running the 64-bit version on Windows7

barbotte
07-29-2015, 02:22 PM
realy ??i kind of like the old craker ,,,i can see right away what it look like instead of having to click on bunch of set up to get the effect ...maybe i am not perfectionist like some of you ,,basic effect is good enough for me ,,,its time consuming having to find the right effect ...cheer

PghProud
07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
What steps do I need to take to avoid losing my current sequences before I upgrade?

Phrog30
07-29-2015, 04:35 PM
What steps do I need to take to avoid losing my current sequences before I upgrade?
Copy your Vixen 3 folder, which is typically in My Documents, and paste to a folder of your choosing. Your sequences should be in this folder.

Not sure it's necessary, but you could also copy the files in x:\users\xxxx\appdata\roaming\Vixen.

To my knowledge, these are all the files.

masterful
07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
I use windows 7. 3.1 worked on that one. So all should be good with this version too ?

Phrog30
07-29-2015, 04:40 PM
I use windows 7. 3.1 worked on that one. So all should be good with this version too ?
Yes, I use Windows 7. No issues.

mrGrumpy
07-29-2015, 05:13 PM

Jeff, can you get someone to state this in BOLD on the download page. This is a critical requirement.

mrGrumpy
07-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Windows 10 appears to be functioning fine - no issues

About an hours testing in W10 - no issues......I love the new look and feel.....maybe try some of the new features tomorrow.

aggiewonder
07-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Downloading now...thanks Vixen team!

jeffu231
07-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Jeff, can you get someone to state this in BOLD on the download page. This is a critical requirement.

I added a blurb above the downloads that details this. As long a people stop to read it.

t.jo13
07-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Downloaded it as started to play with it for a few minutes, wow it looks great. Thanks guys. As far as the old nutcracker element, I dropped it onto a sequence and in the adjustment window it says ( not supported as editable ) as there were a couple of coments about it. Also unless my eyes were playing tricks as I adjusted a couple of the new effects from the old nutcrackerand it was changing as adjustments were being made on my megatree model in the preview just like the old nutcracker. Just not in its own window

Joe

TazChaLet
07-29-2015, 06:44 PM
double click on the ones that say that and the old interface will open
Downloaded it as started to play with it for a few minutes, wow it looks great. Thanks guys. As far as the old nutcracker element, I dropped it onto a sequence and in the adjustment window it says ( not supported as editable )

Joe

mrGrumpy
07-29-2015, 07:14 PM
I added a blurb above the downloads that details this. As long a people stop to read it.

Great job Jeff...and if they don't read it, it's only their fault.

ggusta
07-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Son is happy. He has it on his laptop (win8, win8 what a pos, imo,) he had to update .net, very pleased with the beat marks options so far. Thanks thanks thanks thanks

t.jo13
07-29-2015, 10:15 PM
double click on the ones that say that and the old interface will open

I started a new sequence and dropped in old nutcracker and i did double click and that is the message i got when the window opened that i posted earlier. I only played with it a few minutes so i did not load an existing sequence to see what happens. It is no problem not being able to use the old nutcracker as the couple of new ones i played with real quick were really neat.

jeffu231
07-29-2015, 10:36 PM
I started a new sequence and dropped in old nutcracker and i did double click and that is the message i got when the window opened that i posted earlier. I only played with it a few minutes so i did not load an existing sequence to see what happens. It is no problem not being able to use the old nutcracker as the couple of new ones i played with real quick were really neat.

The old Nutcracker is unchanged. You can still add/edit/update it as you have in the past. The double click on that effect in the timeline will still open the old pop up editor for it as it always did. We just did not take the effort to port it into the new docking editor because it is on the deprecated list. At some point in the distant future that combined effect will go away. It will not be this year so you should not worry about that.

Hopefully most people will find the new ones to be improved with better features and will migrate away from the old one.

ben&bobbi
07-31-2015, 12:44 PM
it's Christmas time! Thanks for the update and all the work!

sparky588
07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
im one of those people who had vixen 3.1 on 2 computers and I put all my data in a folder c:\vixendata, so i could copy from 1 to the other. i loaded the new version and all works great until i go to "Set Up Display" i get nothing and the program shuts down???? any ideas of what i need to do. this is on a windows 7 home edition 64 bit

TazChaLet
07-31-2015, 06:31 PM
If you are installing it as an upgrade to an older version, make sure you uninstall the old one and install 3.2 into a clean directory. We have removed some older dead modules that can cause issues if they are left when the new version is installed over an old version. go into your programs and do the uninstall and then reinstall 3.2 the uninstall should remove the files and folder for the program not the file with sequences in it

CaliforniaDreamer
07-31-2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks Guys. Really great release. Works great in Win 10 with limited testing.

JCook
07-31-2015, 07:19 PM
the graphical view in patching is still buggy, pretty useless. If you try to configure dim curves etc with that view it just crashes every time..

CaliforniaDreamer
07-31-2015, 07:19 PM
BTW it said it was going to install .net framework version 4.5.2 but after downloading it advised it was already installed. Guess it is part of Win 10.

CaliforniaDreamer
07-31-2015, 07:36 PM
I set up a MegaTree with 16 strands 180 degrees and all of the nutcracker effects work great except the "twinkle effect" only shows 8 strands in the dialog preview. Very minor just thought you would like to know. All of the other effects I tested show the full 16 strands.

jchuchla
07-31-2015, 07:37 PM
im one of those people who had vixen 3.1 on 2 computers and I put all my data in a folder c:\vixendata, so i could copy from 1 to the other. i loaded the new version and all works great until i go to "Set Up Display" i get nothing and the program shuts down???? any ideas of what i need to do. this is on a windows 7 home edition 64 bit

You need to install 3.2 into a clean vixen folder. Go into \program files\vixen and blow it away. Don't worry about your config and sequences. They aren't in there.

By the way: the new version will make the workaround of a constant path unnecessary. It now moves everything into the profile folder and uses relative references.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jchuchla
07-31-2015, 07:38 PM
BTW it said it was going to install .net framework version 4.5.2 but after downloading it advised it was already installed. Guess it is part of Win 10.

Yes it only installs .net 4.5.2 if it doesn't yet exist. I'm pretty sure it ships with win 10 by default.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
07-31-2015, 07:40 PM
the graphical view in patching is still buggy, pretty useless. If you try to configure dim curves etc with that view it just crashes every time..

We didn't do any changes with the graphics view for this release. It's really not meant to be a patching tool, just a visual confirmation of how things are patched. It's best used with just a small handful of elements at a time.

--Jon Chuchla--

yosemite
07-31-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks to the development team it looks great.
I am having one issue with the download, I uninstalled one of the Dev. 3.1u2 and installed 3.2. I have one sequence on that version and it runs fine.
I want to copy my 3.1 version sequences to the new download. They will copy from the 3.1 version but I have audio but no sequence information.
Do I need to copy some other file from 3.1 for it to copy over the rest of the sequence ?
Don't want to re-sequence 9 songs!

Phrog30
07-31-2015, 09:09 PM
We didn't do any changes with the graphics view for this release. It's really not meant to be a patching tool, just a visual confirmation of how things are patched. It's best used with just a small handful of elements at a time.

--Jon Chuchla--

I'm not able to get "find outputs elements are patched to" as well as "find elements patched to outputs" in the new version under display setup.

Any one else seeing this?

James

TazChaLet
07-31-2015, 09:13 PM
I found trying too find which element is patch from element too channel doesn't work but from channel too element does a bug they need too work on

Phrog30
07-31-2015, 10:17 PM
I found trying too find which element is patch from element too channel doesn't work but from channel too element does a bug they need too work on
Interesting, both don't work for me. I created a ticket on this. Thank you.

stan the light man
08-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Great upgrade only just started using vixen this yr. very impressed . 1st year doing Xmas lights to music . Can't wait till got all lights wired up . Keep up the great work .

mrGrumpy
08-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Interesting, both don't work for me. I created a ticket on this. Thank you.

+1

Graphic view has hiccups too.

Suggestion: Maybe when reviewing the patch assignments, some spacing could be added to make output easier to read. #968 3-128: Multicast could be better read if listed: 968 3-128 Multicast. Or with the number sign included (I like without.) #968 3-128 Multicast.

#968 3-128: Multicast

968 3-128 Multicast
968 3-128 Multicast
968 3-128 Multicast
968 3-128 Multicast
968 3-128 Multicast
968 3-128 Multicast

Kev7274
08-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Hmm. My elements are no linger patched and my display previews are gone. Is this a bug or am I missing somehting. my sequences,etc are fine.

jchuchla
08-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Hmm. My elements are no linger patched and my display previews are gone. Is this a bug or am I missing somehting. my sequences,etc are fine.

It sounds like you may have migrated your profile on a machine where the references were bad.
Did the preview work on this specific PC before upgrading? Note after upgrading You won't be able to open your profile in the previous version any longer.
Did you install vixen into a clean and empty folder?

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
08-02-2015, 03:00 PM
In the interest of keeping this thread clean and being better able to keep track of issues, please post your issues in a new thread. This one is getting messy and it's hard to keep track of the various issues in here. We do want to hear about any of your issues and potential bugs, but it would be helpful if each issue had its own thread.
Thanks

--Jon Chuchla--

Phrog30
08-02-2015, 03:32 PM
In the interest of keeping this thread clean and being better able to keep track of issues, please post your issues in a new thread. This one is getting messy and it's hard to keep track of the various issues in here. We do want to hear about any of your issues and potential bugs, but it would be helpful if each issue had its own thread.
Thanks

--Jon Chuchla--

Jon, part of this thread was finding elements that are patched and outputs to elements. I did create a ticket on this. I'm sure you saw it.

Kev7274
08-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Did the preview work on this specific PC before upgrading? Yes
Note after upgrading You won't be able to open your profile in the previous version any longer.
Did you install vixen into a clean and empty folder? Yes

I have my profiles saved in various places. I also have the previous version installed on two other PCs that I haven't upgraded yet. Are there a way to fix this since I have backups and the previous versions?
Would a uninstall and reinstall work?

Phrog30
08-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Jon, part of this thread was finding elements that are patched and outputs to elements. I did create a ticket on this. I'm sure you saw it.
Jon, I noticed the ticket I created was closed because Jeff couldn't duplicate the issue. I'm not only the one with the problems.

jeffu231
08-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Jon, I noticed the ticket I created was closed because Jeff couldn't duplicate the issue. I'm not only the one with the problems.

If you look closer at the comments, it was closed because it is a duplicate of VIX-824 which has been confirmed and fixed. The bug tracker tool doesn't aways mark it with the right resolution. The fix will be merged into a future release.

Kev7274
08-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Well,
I installed it on the other PC and everything works fine.Not sure as to why it didn't work on the other. Just glad my previews,patching points,etc are back.

pmiller
08-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I see I have the same issue as Sparky588. I'll read everything here and hopefully I won't lose my sequences. Not sure how I missed the announcement on the new version release. I'm here every day. I just learned about it when Jon mentioned it to me in another thread. Anyway, I'm going to uninstall 3.2 and hopefully my sequences are still there and everything goes well. Thank you all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TazChaLet
08-06-2015, 09:23 PM
alot of us did same thing all my sequences are there and you should always make backups before you upgrade just in case something like power outage or something happens and install messes up

pmiller
08-06-2015, 09:36 PM
I deleted 3.2 and reinstalled and Vixen and me are now happy. :)

Newby
08-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Will the uninstall affect my current display & previews?

TazChaLet
08-12-2015, 09:41 PM
your display and preview should be in your documents/vixen folder the program files should be in your programs/vixen folder so when you uninstall the programs/vixen folders get deleted but your document/vixen folder stays

pmiller
08-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Will the uninstall affect my current display & previews?
From what I understand, no. I did an uninstall and all my sequences were still there.

jchuchla
08-12-2015, 09:49 PM
No it will not

--Jon Chuchla--

Newby
08-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Got it. Thanks for the quick response

sparky588
08-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Sorry folks I thought I reported that when I unis talked and reinstalled into a c lean folder the d system worked great. Thanks for all the hard work

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

sparky588
08-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Sorry folks I thought I reported that when I unis talked and reinstalled into a c lean folder the d system worked great. Thanks for all the hard work

Can't spell I uninstalled and reinstalled into a clean folder and all worked great

Robotjam
08-14-2015, 02:37 AM
Great job guys I love it. I have a question, in my sequences folder I have a file called Arches1.tim and now there is a file called Arches1.tim.0 Can I delete the .tim.0 file and or what does it mean this new file.
I have a very small display only 2 arches (because I have a very small front yard) but most of my effects are created with the nutcracker sequencer, will there be similar changes in the future for that effect? (sorry if this has already been discussed)

Thank you
Jim

jchuchla
08-14-2015, 08:38 AM
I believe those files are the backup files created for each upgrade. There were two effect upgrade steps in 3.2. Remember those two message boxes that appeared when you first opened the 3:1 sequence in the new version. Each one of those steps leaves behind a backup. Those are the files you're seeing.

--Jon Chuchla--

JCook
08-19-2015, 07:25 PM
is there a way to change the forms color back to the lighter color? I'm not digging the dark colors. Also when you open the Lip Sync module the icons are very hard to read because of the dark colors.

jchuchla
08-19-2015, 08:01 PM
There's a few more adjustments coming to the theme in the next update. A few of the forms weren't fully polished as of the 3.2 release. There isn't a way to change it back as of now. But we're working on having a fully customizable interface in the future. Until now, there was no effort for UI consistency at all. This new is a first step toward that in that it forces us to investigate every single button and form element and how it should fit in a theme. And feedback like yours are helping to identify details that need more improvement. We'll definitely look into the lip sync buttons. Once we get the concept of a theme fully developed, then we'll provide a theme editor so you can adjust it to your liking.

--Jon Chuchla--

Phrog30
08-19-2015, 10:45 PM
There's a few more adjustments coming to the theme in the next update. A few of the forms weren't fully polished as of the 3.2 release. There isn't a way to change it back as of now. But we're working on having a fully customizable interface in the future. Until now, there was no effort for UI consistency at all. This new is a first step toward that in that it forces us to investigate every single button and form element and how it should fit in a theme. And feedback like yours are helping to identify details that need more improvement. We'll definitely look into the lip sync buttons. Once we get the concept of a theme fully developed, then we'll provide a theme editor so you can adjust it to your liking.

--Jon Chuchla--

Is there a guess on the release of the next update?

jchuchla
08-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Probably within a week or so. There's nothing major in it. Just a few dozen bug fixes for issues that have surfaced since the 3.2 release.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
08-19-2015, 10:49 PM
By the way: 121 is the candidate for the bugfix release. The one fix that I don't think you'll see effective with the dev build version is the adjustments to the installer to remove old components. (The whole issue with random crashes because the previous version wasn't uninstalled first)

--Jon Chuchla--

ronaldpa2
08-31-2015, 09:27 AM
Does this one make it any easier to share sequences?

jchuchla
08-31-2015, 09:30 AM
No. The sequences are still integral to the profile. The enhancements to 3.2 do help to make profiles more portable though.

--Jon Chuchla--

ronaldpa2
08-31-2015, 03:04 PM
What about converting them like we do with 2.1 to 3.2? Reason I ask is I find it much easier to flatten it out and then just copy and paste where I want it..

jchuchla
08-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Are you suggesting that you export the vixen 3 sequence to another format like Vixen 2's .vix, and then import it back into V3 into another profile? If so that's a very bad idea. Any time you import into V3, you have a raw reference sequence that needs a lot of manual work to create a functional V3 sequence. It may play right off the bat, but it will be highly inefficient. After any V3 import, you should then go thru the entire sequence and use the effects generated by the importer as a reference to create new V3 effects. You'll be looking for patterns and how they can be simplified. For example, see the screenshot below:
The importer may give you several independent effects that constitute a chase. You would see a pattern like the 6 stairstepped pulses on the left. These should be deleted and replaced with a proper V3 chase effect like the one you see on the right. The more complex the effects, the more work you'll need to do to migrate your sequences.

"Flatten" isn't a term that we use in V3, so it can mean different things to different people. I think you mean that to flatten is to take the high level V3 effects and break them down into channel values or very simple effects. In V3 that is the worst thing to do. The high level effects are vastly more efficient than many small effects. Once you've exported a V3 sequence, it should never be imported back into V3. The exporter is strictly for sending the data to another program for playback or further low level manipulation.

ronaldpa2
08-31-2015, 06:22 PM
So today I can get a vixen 2.1 sequence and import it into vixen 3.2 and go through the conversion process and just cut and paste to my elements. How would I do the same with a shared file from vixen 3.0? Do i have to open 2 instances of Vixen and copy over to my profile? Or do I have to redo the shared profile to my elements and controller?

jchuchla
08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
This is a release announcement thread. Specific usage cases are better served in a new thread.
But to close this thought here. There are no supported methods of moving sequence content from one profile to another. There are two different acceptable ways to get it done. One is very advanced and the other is a standalone utility maintained by a 3rd party and as a result can easily break with vixen updates.

--Jon Chuchla--

ronaldpa2
08-31-2015, 06:45 PM
I created a new thread perhaps someone could enlighten me .