PDA

View Full Version : Get Free RGB Sequences, and Show in a box for under $1000 explained

lumbarkod
07-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I promised I would put something up from the 4th, and here it is. If you want the free sequences custom made to your home just reach out to me.

Thank You,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUbk0Xq0-rY

MrSmoofy
07-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Interesting. I've been thinking about this for a while haha. You could use a better MIC as it sounded like you were talking in a tin can. Also where you were showing your sequence and explaining the different wipes I think either Youtube messed up your video or your video camera did because it looked nothing like you were describing.

lumbarkod
07-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Good feedback... First time around

MrSmoofy
07-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Good feedback... First time around

The Deadmau5 song in your Holloween display where did you get that version I've not been able to find it with the intro yours has.

Aurbo99
07-11-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm a bit confused, what exactly are you selling for under $1000 and how does that equate to getting free RGB Sequences?

I listened to your youtube video where you explain all of your planned intentions yet to happen, no partnerships yet for controller boards running, raspberry PI preloaded, and something about servers, patents pending on something not completed yet, with plans on a full mock-up by Halloween. Beta testers biting at the bit to run your gear, etc..

Using Vixen, Nutcraker, etc the user provides the raw data (sequences) to you and you convert it to your version which you sell back to the user?

You also mention your setup WILL NOT run on a normal laptop because of its "massive size", but will run on the Pi.. I've missed something here..

Is this your personal vision of your own style of package where you plan on selling a Raspberry PI, one of the current but unidentified controller units, pre-cut RGB strings cut to the end user's measurements with pre loaded sequences controlled and owned by you (not Tom as he ripped you off) which requires up to 10 servers at your own place to create the sequences in minutes?

Is this vision a Raspberry PI driven RGB version of a "LOR" unit where licensing for each sequence run on your system will be required?

What about expansion later to add more objects in my yard after the purchase the original unit?

What happened to your Old site?

Your new site specifically states

Designing Your ShowEach show is designed specific to meet the needs of your building. Before our engineers head back to their computers to put your show together they will map out the layout of your show with you, from simple white lights to magical RGB lights, the choices are yours, but feel free to let our engineers show off their creativity. Check out an example of a before and after below!

below clearly shows you using LOR software to create the sequences with.

how many engineers and computers are currently employed or have they been replaced with the incoming 10 servers which will do the job in minutes according to your video in the OP.

Do you have any images of a typical mock up of what the user gets?

How does the files from Vixen, Nutcracker, Lor, etc get converted to Alpha-Pi?

Can you provide a link to one of your previous customers display? (the ones that cost 5000 or so bucks to create, you mentioned you only sold 2 or 3 per year)

Dont get my post wrong, I'm not bashing you.. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what your offering to us, the end user.

MrSmoofy
07-11-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm a bit confused, what exactly are you selling for under $1000 and how does that equate to getting free RGB Sequences?

I listened to your youtube video where you explain all of your planned intentions yet to happen, no partnerships yet for controller boards running, raspberry PI preloaded, and something about servers, patents pending on something not completed yet, with plans on a full mock-up by Halloween. Beta testers biting at the bit to run your gear, etc..

Using Vixen, Nutcraker, etc the user provides the raw data (sequences) to you and you convert it to your version which you sell back to the user?

You also mention your setup WILL NOT run on a normal laptop because of its "massive size", but will run on the Pi.. I've missed something here..

Is this your personal vision of your own style of package where you plan on selling a Raspberry PI, one of the current but unidentified controller units, pre-cut RGB strings cut to the end user's measurements with pre loaded sequences controlled and owned by you (not Tom as he ripped you off) which requires up to 10 servers at your own place to create the sequences in minutes?

Is this vision a Raspberry PI driven RGB version of a "LOR" unit where licensing for each sequence run on your system will be required?

What about expansion later to add more objects in my yard after the purchase the original unit?

how many engineers and computers are currently employed or have they been replaced with the incoming 10 servers which will do the job in minutes according to your video in the OP.

Can you provide a link to one of your previous customers display? (the ones that cost 5000 or so bucks to create, you mentioned you only sold 2 or 3 per year)

Dont get my post wrong, I'm not bashing you.. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what your offering to us, the end user.

My understanding on what he's offering is you measure your house and tell him the measurements eves windows doors etc. and for your money they send you a package that includes all the lights and controllers wire and raspberry pi with fpp and preloaded with squences that work with your house size.

The only thing I see is his under $1000 quote I think he will need to be making some pretty good partnerships with manufactures to get the products he needs cheap enough for him to make a profit but my understanding is that he has some software that can take a sequence he's designed and it be fited to any size house using this magic software.

I also understand that if you think of it has a imaging. If you take a low res picture (small house) and try to size the picture up to be bigger the image is crappy because of pixlization. So he's starting with medium to large images (medium to large houses) making sequences for them and the software that his developers have created sizes down the sequence to fit smaller house.

In theory it makes sense to me as a developer myself. The fact that this magic software requires server hardware and multiple servers as he mentions needing 10 by the end of the year seems odd to me and makes me believe the software is not optimized very well. Not trying to bash just my 20+ years of software development experience says something seems odd here.

His business idea is something I've thought about for over a year now. A way to bring what we have a passion for to everyone. Someone that just wants to take some measurements and receive something pre done they just have to put up and plug in.

Couple other things. He shows how he plans to use large washers and magnets in the pixel strips to attach them to the house. My first thought on this is what is that magnet doing to the data signal since the magnets looks like they are inside the silicon sleeve with the pixel strip.

Secondly how many magnets will there need to be to make it secure enough that a good thunderstorm like we have in Florida doesn't flow it off. The magnets would have to be strong because if one lets loss I could see the weight of the pixel strip pulling the others off or even just moving them around.

Also he mentions using Siemese wire (coax for signal and pair of wires for power/ground). I took a quick look at this and most of the wire I saw was 18AWG to 20AWG for the +/- which for distances would be an issue unless he plans on putting lots of small controllers and power everywhere which I think again for a everyday consumer they would be looking for less things to plugin because they may only have a couple of outlets to use.

Hopefully he has thought about a lot of this and has plans for it all otherwise I don't see this working out as well as it sounds like it would.

Personally I think the better business idea here is if the softwre he's had his developers have created can truelly resize a sequence to fit any house (as long as that sequence was made for larger house and is being sized down for a smaller house) I think that is where he might be able to make some money.

Just my opinion and thoughts here not meant to poo poo on anything you have done.

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 02:46 PM
The Deadmau5 song in your Holloween display where did you get that version I've not been able to find it with the intro yours has.

I made it out of 2 songs. the ghost's n' stuff and more ghost's n' stuff

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 02:57 PM
In theory it makes sense to me as a developer myself. The fact that this magic software requires server hardware and multiple servers as he mentions needing 10 by the end of the year seems odd to me and makes me believe the software is not optimized very well. Not trying to bash just my 20+ years of software development experience says something seems odd here.

His business idea is something I've thought about for over a year now. A way to bring what we have a passion for to everyone. Someone that just wants to take some measurements and receive something pre done they just have to put up and plug in.

Couple other things. He shows how he plans to use large washers and magnets in the pixel strips to attach them to the house. My first thought on this is what is that magnet doing to the data signal since the magnets looks like they are inside the silicon sleeve with the pixel strip.

Secondly how many magnets will there need to be to make it secure enough that a good thunderstorm like we have in Florida doesn't flow it off. The magnets would have to be strong because if one lets loss I could see the weight of the pixel strip pulling the others off or even just moving them around.

Also he mentions using Siemese wire (coax for signal and pair of wires for power/ground). I took a quick look at this and most of the wire I saw was 18AWG to 20AWG for the +/- which for distances would be an issue unless he plans on putting lots of small controllers and power everywhere which I think again for a everyday consumer they would be looking for less things to plugin because they may only have a couple of outlets to use.

Hopefully he has thought about a lot of this and has plans for it all otherwise I don't see this working out as well as it sounds like it would.

Personally I think the better business idea here is if the softwre he's had his developers have created can truelly resize a sequence to fit any house (as long as that sequence was made for larger house and is being sized down for a smaller house) I think that is where he might be able to make some money.

Just my opinion and thoughts here not meant to poo poo on anything you have done.

You're awesome... you got it.. I stink at describing stuff for the masses.

All the concerns you brought up. Magnets... only interfere with AC, not DC. The servers are for the programmers, not me. Each person has to run the application on a different server, and while we can virtualize much of it, there is a question of processing power. And you're totally correct about the optimization, but it's not my program that isn't optimized... its the programs I piggy back. I don't have the source code for them, so I'm trying to build something simmilar.

Amount of magnets... depends on the split and strength... it's been trial and error. To get the 1mm lost to the silicone tube I have to add bigger maginets... I've got the mix right now. looks like 1 per meter at 1/2 by 1/8 round.

We will not be using washers, but ferrous stainless steel.

Yes.. it can resize any house... I'm going to have conclusive proof here soon with the beta tests coming back after Halloween.

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 03:36 PM

Lot's of questions, I'm going to do my best, trust me I know I suck at this:

Its a full system in a box. buy it plug it in.. sequences running, rock and roll.

The tool to build it is massive... the sequences are small when they are done. I don't sell the tool, just the sequences. You give me the map of your house, I make you a sequence.

I'm not sure what your asking about LOR and licensing, but if you buy the system it will be all fseq. If you buy a LOR sequence for your current setup... its an LOR sequence. I don't have licensing issues and I don't control LOR. I sell my E682 with sandevices. You can add more stuff or change the position of things, but it will be a 1 time fee to convert all of your sequences. It would depend on the scope of the change. If you move and have a new home... it's going to cost you more than it would if you add a matrix or more pumpkins to the existing sequence. I'm thinking a one time fee below $100. Just enough to discourage multiple changes in a season.

Old site- Took the old site down basically... Musiclightsaz.com It wasn't worth it. All high end customers and didn't make much of a profit.

That's a quote from the old site... don't do that anymore.

New site, not done, but you can see progress lightrageous.com

There are 4 engineers. This has been a seasonal job for us. I'm the first to reach out blogging... not something we have been fond of because the amount of misinformation you have to sift through. Nobody got replaced, just doing our normal jobs... but if you ask for man hours. To do what I can do now with 4 engineers it would take... I can't even do the math. In the time it took me to do 1 customer with 6 engineers, I could do 1000 now.

Converted... fseq

Links... Did you watch my presentation this year talking in my tin can? Did you see how awesome and professionally our website was put together?... again I suck at internet marketing. At the time we thought it inappropriate to put peoples homes up on youtube. I got lucky once when we had an okay idea. This time we have an awesome idea. I'm trying, but I need help and I don't have much time. Putting this all together is harder than putting the program together.

Look how long I've been a member here (2 months). I had the site for 3 years and just now became a member.... just trying to find some good input for the masses. This isn't my thing. I program, not sell.

I just noticed... Vixen 3 developer... Know anyone that would like to program shows for money?

neilric99
07-20-2015, 03:49 PM
This 'show in a box' sounds a great idea to put up in front of the shark tank. could be a great opportunity to get investors.

MrSmoofy
07-20-2015, 04:00 PM
In theory I think it's a good idea. The practicality of it and being able to execute on it and make a profit I have a hard time seeing that happen. You should probably not use copyrighted photos from HolidayCoro.com on your website either.

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 04:02 PM
This 'show in a box' sounds a great idea to put up in front of the shark tank. could be a great opportunity to get investors.

I'm okay for money at the moment. I'll never say never, but I don't have experience with it and wouldn't know where to start. I think I'm better off if I just slow grow.

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 04:03 PM
In theory I think it's a good idea. The practicality of it and being able to execute on it and make a profit I have a hard time seeing that happen. You should probably not use copyrighted photos from HolidayCoro.com on your website either.

You would be right if it was a copyrighted photo from his website I wasn't selling his stuff. It's literally his CG-1500 box. As a matter of fact... if you look closely, you can see all my vendors. Not trying to hide anything.

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Ha ha... awesome. Call and get me on so I can stare at my shoes in front of millions of people.

neilric99
07-20-2015, 04:26 PM
you would still need to get the owners permission to use their copyrighted photo's on your website, even if you are reselling their product.

You would be right if it was a copyrighted photo from his website I wasn't selling his stuff. It's literally his CG-1500 box. As a matter of fact... if you look closely, you can see all my vendors. Not trying to hide anything.

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 04:40 PM

I don't think it is a good idea to put me in front of millions of people to stare at my shoes.

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 04:42 PM
you would still need to get the owners permission to use their copyrighted photo's on your website, even if you are reselling their product.

Feel free to google image search... still not a copyrighted photo from the website. Though I will admit I did steal the rainbow cable picture, because I thought it was pretty.

MrSmoofy
07-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Feel free to google image search... still not a copyrighted photo from the website.

Google Image Search is showing you images from copywrited websites it's not free of copywrites. If you want images you must use websites that provide FREE images or you much purchase images. Places like http://www.istockphoto.com/

lumbarkod
07-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Google Image Search is showing you images from copywrited websites it's not free of copywrites. If you want images you must use websites that provide FREE images or you much purchase images. Places like http://www.istockphoto.com/

Wow, your're really concerned. Well, if it puts you at ease.. all the pictures we are using are on retail agreements. We sign agreements where if I sell it for them, they let me use their images. Pretty standard for a retail agreement. As for Coro... its sort of moot. The image isn't copyrighted, but we will soon have the copyrighted because we are doing a retail agreement.

P. Short
07-21-2015, 09:45 AM
While I don't know if I understand everything about the concept here, I don't think that I like it. Seems to be too devoid of heart and individuality, which is something that I think that Christmas displays need. In any case this is a diy site...

4586shaggy
07-21-2015, 09:50 AM
i'm with phil, i think that this would be a lot better placed over on some LOR forums. they like stuff thats out of a box, and plug and play...

stallionent
07-21-2015, 09:58 AM
In any case this is a diy site...

Actually we all buy "stuff" here and else ware, and assemble it and install it on our property. Lumbarko just put it all in one package, we still have to install it, DIY

I think we have to give him room, he's a newbie as I am. We will see if he can make a go of it. Give him time.

I bought 99% of my stuff at Holidaycoro, that's not DIY ?

P. Short
07-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Actually we all buy "stuff" here and else ware, and assemble it and install it on our property. Lumbarko just put it all in one package, we still have to install it, DIY

I think we have to give him room, he's a newbie as I am. We will see if he can make a go of it. Give him time.

I bought 99% of my stuff at Holidaycoro, that's not DIY ?

It's possible that I've misunderstood him, but it appears to me that besides the hardware, his 'developers' create the sequences as well. Apart from the yard- and ladder-work, what is left for the homeowner? Is this that much different from a much-expanded Mr. Christmas (not that I have anything against Mr. Christmas as a starting point)?

stallionent
07-21-2015, 10:35 AM
I believe he has eliminated, soldering, a plus for some of us. I have a run of 86 pixels, 50+36. I believe he would join them together saving the home owner the soldering.
As a side note: I taught mil spec soldering for years, before I retired, so I didn't need help in that regard.

As far as sequences go, I'm learning xlights and Vixen 3 but while I learn I welcome the Halloween sequence he has in beta. I will add to or delete from his sequences as I learn.

lumbarkod
07-21-2015, 07:44 PM
It's possible that I've misunderstood him, but it appears to me that besides the hardware, his 'developers' create the sequences as well. Apart from the yard- and ladder-work, what is left for the homeowner? Is this that much different from a much-expanded Mr. Christmas (not that I have anything against Mr. Christmas as a starting point)?

What's left for the home owner on the DIY aspect. That's a good question. I'm the Do It yourselfer. I haven't sold boo yet. Everything I've done is at cost or free. I thought it was "us." Late nights on the computer trying to figure out just how to get the look that we want, waisted money on products we didn't need, helping someone you never met to get their TCP IP set up in the middle of the night, Endless pictures exchanged and mountains of misinformation... how about this... "yelling at my computer because the person that made the tutorial is assuming you know something." Crap man, I mean I wanted to give it all back... free sequences, my lights at cost, the bones of the system fully explained. You have no idea the huge sense of owing this community that I have, and I try to give it back and I'm a jerk... I'm not a DIYer... Take me up on one of my offers... let me program a sequence for you... that's all I've been asking, buy some of these lights that I had built... I charge you exactly what I paid, just tell me if they are worth it. Call me and see if I don't answer just because you have a question on where I got a song or how I put an element together. See if I don't try to talk your ear off telling you how I think the best way to get is done is because all the time I waisted getting there. Yes I'm going to be selling a commercial product but isn't this "our dream?" bringing the lights to the masses? It's always been mine. Why do we help strangers with their lights when it doesn't pull a reward? It's not like we are solving for starvation. We want people to see our lights. Help me figure this thing out the right way. I'm trying to DIY a company and I don't want to deliver crap. Its "our lights" and companies like GE and that stupid show in a box at Home depot are bastardizing what we love with random freaking flashes to the beat of the music blending all our work into a big pool of crap. How much more us could it be? Falcon Pi (Sorry FPP), E1.31, Ray Wu, and super algorithm geek? Help me out cause I would do it for you. I just want it to be good.

scootchu
07-22-2015, 08:40 AM
I have read the posts and yes I believe you have been met with some skepticism and negativity. I think, and I say "think" it may first because some sense scam and then next being that we pride ourselves on DIY and people smarter than me to bring innovation to Christmas lights, and Halloween too.
I believe, while your intent is to give back, there may be a few who see this as a "cookie cutter" solution aimed at the "McMansion" crowd who will buy your package and throw it up on their house and sit back and say "yep, all me". I know what you are aiming for and that's noble, but I have to say I put my heart and soul into my display, good or bad, and can honestly say with the help from this and Dirk's forum, built it.

I hear all the time, "wow that takes a lot of work" "you must really love Christmas" and I can sincerely say "yes I do and it is a lot of work". I'm here on the DIY forums in July. LOL

I'll be honest, I take pride in building my own controllers and building my own sequences, but to each his own. If someone wants to be the star of the neighborhood with one of your kits, more power to them, but I really don't know if they'll understand how to install a backup SD card into their Pi 2-3 nights before Christmas when something inexplicably goes wrong. We've all been there scrambling, my bad year was 2014. Everything seemed to go South and the fixes were more than the average homeowner could tackle.

Again please don't take my comments as a buzzkill, just an assessment of what I see and feel. I wish you luck with your idea. Just remember this also, you are going to be selling controllers and such that are generally not UL listed and could pose a risk to the end user. Here in DIY world we know the risks and in all the years I have been here I have never heard of an accident that has harmed anyone, but I have seen burnt boards that could have given different circumstances. Joe Smith having his "McMansion" damaged may be a different story. :(

LabRat
07-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Synopsis: Postings of "we can do it all for you", in a "we proudly do it ourselves" forum, is likely to raise (or furl) some eyebrows.

Perhaps not the best target audience for the service you trying to offer.

(Please don't read that as sarcasm, back handed, or nasty in any way. I'm trying to capture what I think may be the source of some of the negativity that may exist around this thread)

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 09:53 AM
I have read the posts and yes I believe you have been met with some skepticism and negativity. I think, and I say "think" it may first because some sense scam and then next being that we pride ourselves on DIY and people smarter than me to bring innovation to Christmas lights, and Halloween too.
I believe, while your intent is to give back, there may be a few who see this as a "cookie cutter" solution aimed at the "McMansion" crowd who will buy your package and throw it up on their house and sit back and say "yep, all me". I know what you are aiming for and that's noble, but I have to say I put my heart and soul into my display, good or bad, and can honestly say with the help from this and Dirk's forum, built it.

I hear all the time, "wow that takes a lot of work" "you must really love Christmas" and I can sincerely say "yes I do and it is a lot of work". I'm here on the DIY forums in July. LOL

I'll be honest, I take pride in building my own controllers and building my own sequences, but to each his own. If someone wants to be the star of the neighborhood with one of your kits, more power to them, but I really don't know if they'll understand how to install a backup SD card into their Pi 2-3 nights before Christmas when something inexplicably goes wrong. We've all been there scrambling, my bad year was 2014. Everything seemed to go South and the fixes were more than the average homeowner could tackle.

Again please don't take my comments as a buzzkill, just an assessment of what I see and feel. I wish you luck with your idea. Just remember this also, you are going to be selling controllers and such that are generally not UL listed and could pose a risk to the end user. Here in DIY world we know the risks and in all the years I have been here I have never heard of an accident that has harmed anyone, but I have seen burnt boards that could have given different circumstances. Joe Smith having his "McMansion" damaged may be a different story. :(

2014 was my bad year too. Nearly hung it up. As for scam... I understand the concern... too good to be true then its not. I fell for a couple of "yea, this is all you need" when I was starting up my first shows.

About your concern about loading the Pi. They don't load the Pi ever. There's a long answer to this, but the short is I don't want them doing anything more than changing the USB... not even interacting with falcon Pi.

As for the cookie cutter "yea I did that" attitude, That I understand the pride that goes into it and the one size fits all solution isn't for this crowd. Its a little early to put my business plan out there, but the base programs need to be freaking awesome to start with. Where do you think I'm going to start to get programmers to start making the 100s of shows I'll need? Why do you think I'm buying 10 servers instead of just banging processors? I'll give you a hint. You can't teach people to be creative or love what we do. It takes about 10 hours to convert the first base program... and that's if you know exactly what you want to accomplish and are uber creative. I'm just asking who wouldn't want to cancel out the cost of their lights while programming their own show, and have input on where we go and what we do with it? It's going to be "our" shows when I'm done and it will expand what we do, I just want the people in the McMansions funding it. The hope is that we drive down the street see a show and say "hey I made the program for that."

As for the attitude that "you cant do what I did." I've got to protect it. Ask yourself how you would project. If I don't protect it, then we don't get to control the destiny of it. If the right person figures out how my team did it, it becomes another piece of crap sold at home depot. Another blue tooth gadget that the jerk-off in the big house uses to show his friends how hes better than them. If the pixel prices drop again.. which they will, its just a matter of time before someone comes up with a crappy version of this. I want to be ahead, I want us to be the innovators and set the standard.

MrSmoofy
07-22-2015, 09:54 AM
The claim is there are some products for sale (light strips) but no pictures of said products. Also, the demo light show presented it just basic effects on a set of pixels I saw nothing that was unique. Also, the associated youtube account and old website has no new videos since 2013 so for 2 years nothing new?

He's asked for feedback/input but is very defensive when he gets it. If you don't want peoples honest feedback then you probably shouldn't ask for it because you won't like what you get. As I've said before I like the idea in theroy but I don't see it working out because no one wants the same thing their neighbor has and if your just resizing the same sequence to fit each house then it's just a big cookie cutter deal.

Think about large subdivisions where houses are cookie cutter with very little difference other then some paint or trim. What your offering is every one of those houses have the same show and I don't think that is what people want they want to be able to do what we do but make it easy and that's currently not possible. Further I think if everyone has the same thing then it takes away from the art of it all.

But this is just my opinion

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Synopsis: Postings of "we can do it all for you", in a "we proudly do it ourselves" forum, is likely to raise (or furl) some eyebrows.

Perhaps not the best target audience for the service you trying to offer.

(Please don't read that as sarcasm, back handed, or nasty in any way. I'm trying to capture what I think may be the source of some of the negativity that may exist around this thread)

You're not the target customer. your the future developer. This is exactly the crowd I want.

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Seems I have let myself become the target of a cyber bully.

I apologize everyone.

If anyone is interested. I still have free custom made RGB sequences to give away only trading for feedback and video's I can deliver in any format. Even with all this, beta has got to be done.

MrSmoofy
07-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Calling people a cyberbully because you don't like the feedback from them you asked for seems wrong to me. Just saying.

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Calling people a cyberbully because you don't like the feedback from them you asked for seems wrong to me. Just saying.

Sir please refrain from commenting on my threads and personal messages.

MrSmoofy
07-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Sir please refrain from commenting on my threads and personal messages.

Only if you do the same since you are the one that started sending me this crazy private messages.

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Uh huh. Again.. please stop trolling me.

neilric99
07-22-2015, 01:58 PM
A very good summary of the thread scootchu I too would be worried about the liability by selling a solution that is not UL listed. They know where you live (or the insurance company will soon find out)

I am all for this type of solution, but it now becomes commercial in nature and a significant price hike due to the use cf commercial specced controllers, power supplies and pixels. I would stick with selling sequences made for your house rather then the full out of the box setup. Sure others have successfully built a business out of holiday decorating but they have had to build in the liability policy's and professional installation costs.

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Again, sorry folks. I tried to reach out with an olive branch to get him to stop and it just made it worse. I've never replied to a single thread he's started. I'm not sure how to make him stop.

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 02:14 PM
A very good summary of the thread scootchu I too would be worried about the liability by selling a solution that is not UL listed. They know where you live (or the insurance company will soon find out)

I am all for this type of solution, but it now becomes commercial in nature and a significant price hike due to the use cf commercial specced controllers, power supplies and pixels. I would stick with selling sequences made for your house rather then the full out of the box setup. Sure others have successfully built a business out of holiday decorating but they have had to build in the liability policy's and professional installation costs.

Good Feedback.

So, I happen to be an electrical engineer. UL stands for Underwriters Laboratories They are an independent test group. They test the stuff and give it approval. I may limit some of my customers by not having it, but it doesn't inherently increase your liability. Make it cheap and burn down someones home, your going to get sued UL or not.

But the process is expensive. Most startups sell non-UL, then once they are making enough money have their stuff UL tested so it can get the UL stamp. Same model, but to be safe it would be unwise of me to not test and document the limits of the products. I don't think I will sell millions of them the day I open the doors, so I think I'm going to have to wait a bit before having my products ULd

scootchu
07-22-2015, 02:20 PM
So, I happen to be an electrical engineer. UL stands for Underwriters Laboratories They are an independent test group. They test the stuff and give it approval. I may limit some of my customers by not having it, but it doesn't inherently increase your liability. Make it cheap and burn down someones home, your going to get sued UL or not.

But the process is expensive. Most startups sell non-UL, then once they are making enough money have their stuff UL tested so it can get the UL stamp. Same model, but to be safe it would be unwise of me to not test and document the limits of the products. I don't think I will sell millions of them the day I open the doors, so I think I'm going to have to wait a bit before having my products ULd

But you could
You make a valid point. I understand in a normal world people know the inherent risks, but people are so used to "its not my fault, sue someone" that I would worry. I work on my own cars and do my own brakes, but I would never do anyone's outside of my immediate family. Again I don't want to rain on your parade. I'm just playing the devil's advocate. I have no problem with what you are undertaking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lumbarkod
07-22-2015, 02:23 PM
You make a valid point. I understand in a normal world people know the inherent risks, but people are so used to "its not my fault, sue someone" that I would worry. I work on my own cars and do my own brakes, but I would never do anyone's outside of my immediate family. Again I don't want to rain on your parade. I'm just playing the devil's advocate. I have no problem with what you are undertaking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks Scoot.. No rain taken. Unfortunately I can only mitigate risk so much and this is just one I have to deal with.