PDA

View Full Version : Labeling cords

Santacarl
08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
What do most of you do to label your different wires.....I'm thinking through my leapers and will have 56 channels....wasn't planning on using plugs so I'll have 56 sets of wires to keep track of.....:rolleyes:

There has to be something out there that I can attach to make this easy....I thought of a label maker but figured those little tape labels would just come unglued in the rain and fall off......

I just can't think of what else to use....any thoughts?

rstehle
08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I am using these: http://cableorganizer.com/wire-marker/

Jeff Millard
08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
This is what I use. (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3KA92)

BuzzKill
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
The wire number tape is available at most home supply places in the electrical tools area. For some of the label makers they make a special wire wrap label tape that is nylon that will not come off like the regular plasic label can. We use the nylon tape at work to label network cables.

Wayne J
08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
A Sharpie and cloth duct tape is wonderful. :) (it's what I use)

ben
08-06-2008, 11:31 PM

I either do that or I use colored electrical tape. I did that last year by taking a white stripe and writing a # on that. the number was the number wire for that color and the electrical tape color represented the light color.

Ben

jrock64
08-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Tape will fall off.
Sharpie markers are NOT permanent.

Place it in the sun, rain, and snow. Throw it in the mud and almost all markers have faded or are unreadable after only a single season.

The only thing that I have found that lasts is the old style DYMO embossing labelers.

I know its low tech and not very sexy but it has worked for me.

Joel

coolspot
08-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Tape will fall off.
Sharpie markers are NOT permanent.

Place it in the sun, rain, and snow. Throw it in the mud and almost all markers have faded or are unreadable after only a single season.

The only thing that I have found that lasts is the old style DYMO embossing labelers.

I know its low tech and not very sexy but it has worked for me.

Joel

yeah that is part true but it may not be exposed

klanger
08-07-2008, 07:00 AM

Gee thats a little low tech Wayne:p

joneslights
08-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I use a Brother P-Touch labeler with wire tape.

Michael
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I have worked with MANY wire and hose identification systems and have found only one that is permanent. I can not find a reference to it at this moment, but I can describe it.
It used yellow pieces of plastic tube, flattened and a number or letter printed into it. Put a zip tie thru it and attach to a wire. Use 2 pieces to make a 2 digit number and so on. We used these in a harsh oil environment inside and out, and they never faded. They only fell off if the zip tie was cut. I wish I could find more of these because I would label all my wires with it.

Currently I use Markers on the plug of the extension cord, and also those same number sticker rolls that rstelhe listed and tape over it to keep them from falling off.

- Michael

omzig
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I've got one of these: Dymo Rhino 101 (http://www.buyheatshrink.com/dymo-label-writer/rhino-101-label-dispenser.htm). Nice and simple, but effective. A clear part of the label wraps around to protect the writing. It's pretty small and comes with a lanyard that can be clipped to your belt.

jgrei1
08-08-2008, 06:25 AM
this is what i use.. in a rhino pro 5000

http://www.labelcity.com.au/dymo_rhinopro/dymo_rhinopro_heat_shrink.htm

Wayne J
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
this is what i use.. in a rhino pro 5000

http://www.labelcity.com.au/dymo_rhinopro/dymo_rhinopro_heat_shrink.htm

oooooooooooh, I want a Ryno Pro now! :mrgreen:

ThaiWay
08-08-2008, 09:40 PM
...have found only one that is permanent. I can not find a reference to it at this moment, but I can describe it.
It used yellow pieces of plastic tube, flattened and a number or letter printed into it....

Is this what you mean? When making my cord ends or connections, I just slip these on the wire first. The zip tie is a good idea too. Everything else I've tried either falls off or fades. I get these here - letters and numbers - for about US$0.45 a pack of 100.

John

jeffathompson
08-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I use a Brother P-Touch labeler with wire tape.

Where do you get the "wire tape" I have a Brother P-Touch and only find the vinyl tape in different colors.

omzig
08-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Another product that I have used in the past is Panduit's self-laminating sheets that you can use in your laser or ink-jet printer. The only reason that I didn't mention them before was that I thought that you had to by them by the box, which is pretty expensive (about $200, if I remember correctly). But I was looking on Panduit's website and noticed that Mouser was one of their authorized distributors. Mouser sells them by the sheet. Here's a link to one available size: 644-LJSL1-Y3-5 (http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=Re%252bcz0%2fMYCIrHg2RRSCxPw %3d%3d). Unfortunately, the price listed is not per sheet, it's per label. You have to order quantities in increments of how many labels there are per sheet. It sounds expensive but the cartridges for the label printers that have been mentioned aren't cheap either.

joneslights
08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Where do you get the "wire tape" I have a Brother P-Touch and only find the vinyl tape in different colors.

It's listed as "Flexible tape" made for wires. I found some on clearance at Staples, but it is still available at http://www.ecomofficesupplies.com/category~categoryID~41.html

I have never bought from them, but looks legit.

Greg

Santacarl
08-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Greg....

Are you using the industrial stuff or the regular TZ variation? Have you had good luck with the Brother wire tape staying 'stuck' once it's outside in the elements? Since you've used this in the past.....what's the life expectancy of this tape? I'm basically lazy and don't want to have to keep renumbering....lol

Thanks

SC

joneslights
08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Greg....

Are you using the industrial stuff or the regular TZ variation? Have you had good luck with the Brother wire tape staying 'stuck' once it's outside in the elements? Since you've used this in the past.....what's the life expectancy of this tape? I'm basically lazy and don't want to have to keep renumbering....lol

Thanks

SC

SC,

It has done well the past couple years (that's when I first started using it) It seems to stick well in the winter weather we have here in Indy (rain, snow, rain, snow, deep freeze, rain all in one week)

I use the TZ industrial tapes. Which are flexible as well. I have stuck it to the *GASP* indoor cords and it stays.

Greg

Michael
08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Is this what you mean? When making my cord ends or connections, I just slip these on the wire first. The zip tie is a good idea too. Everything else I've tried either falls off or fades. I get these here - letters and numbers - for about US$0.45 a pack of 100.

John

That is what we used, but those look like an updated version. Ours were round with printing on both sides, but that looks like it would hold nicely on a cable without a ziptie.
Do you have a link to where they can be purchased, or a brand name?

- Michael

ThaiWay
08-12-2008, 10:39 AM
That is what we used, but those look like an updated version. Ours were round with printing on both sides, but that looks like it would hold nicely on a cable without a ziptie.
Do you have a link to where they can be purchased, or a brand name?

- Michael

They do hold nicely IF you remember to put them on BEFORE you connect to a plug or terminal. :roll:

Next time I go to Klong Thom I'll try to get more info on who makes them and where they come from.

Flash69
08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Wahooo!!!

Just won a Rhino Pro 5000 on ebay for $68.00 shipped!!!!

joneslights
08-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Wahooo!!!

Just won a Rhino Pro 5000 on ebay for $68.00 shipped!!!!

Congrats.. Hope it does well for you.

daviddth
08-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I use a Dymo label maker and wrap the light number around the cord and then staple it where the ends of the label stick together. That way if the glue lets go then the staple will hold it.

kostyun
09-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow...... I think I want one of the Rhino Pro's - I used the p-touch with clear heat shrink over the labels (which also works great!)