PDA

View Full Version : Matrix for the top of Graduation Cap

Qbert-PNS
05-24-2015, 09:55 PM
One of the kids is graduating in December (6 Days before Christmas)

He asked If I could help him build a small matrix to run from a Pi (preferably FPP) for the top of his cap.

Can you fine folks point me in a starting direction? I have only Pixel tree experience and have no Idea where to get parts or controller(s).

Respectfully,
Q

MartinMueller2003
05-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Hmm. a 30 (or 60) pixel / meter WS2812 strip might work well in this application. It would lay flat and with enough of them. you could make a decent matrix. A couple of 6v batteries to run the fpp and lights might get you a bit of run time.

habbosrus
05-25-2015, 02:21 AM
What about using something like p10 panels? link (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/16-16pixels-INK1003-led-digital-flexible-panel-light-ws2811-IC-controlled-size-17cm-17cm-DC5V-input/701799_1562555091.html)
I'm not sure how you'd go about powering it though.
Jim's new controller would be worth a look too - link (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?37664-World-s-smallest-E1-31-Pixel-Controller&highlight=smallest)

Qbert-PNS
05-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Awesome.

Thank you.

We were discussing power last night. Power looks the the real challenge at this point.
We will over come that with a 12V solution.
I'll keep you updated.

Electrified3
05-25-2015, 12:08 PM
If you look around there are several types of "wearable" pixels out in the market right now designed for these types of things. Here are some examples:

http://www.adafruit.com/category/65

You can also go the traditional pixel route, if you look around there are several battery holders that can give you the power you need just using AA batteries as well, so can swap them out as needed as they run down or use rechargeable. I would avoid using coin sized batteries, not enough Ah rating for any duration of time. I have played with this a bit using 4-AA batteries driving pixel strips and an E6804 controller, would for for about an hr or so then start wearing down, but a quick change of batteries and back in business. Of course I was driving 4-5M strips of 30 LED/M off of it with them wrapped around me like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation so my battery life was reduced, the less pixels the longer the batteries could go.

If using an FPP you can also drive up to 50 pixels directly off the GPIO as well, so no need for a pixel controller either. If 50 pixels will do what you need then you are all set, a few pixels, mount them, use an FPP and away you go, can even add a few micro pushbuttons to the GPIO to changes sequences on demand as well.

Lots of options out there that would do what you are looking for, Good Luck!!

DrNeutron
05-25-2015, 10:50 PM
The flex panels from Ray look like a good product for this type of application....
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/32-8pixels-WS2812B-led-digital-ws2811-IC-controlled-flex-panel-light-size-320cm-80cm-DC5V-input/701799_32277855146.html

habbosrus
05-25-2015, 11:12 PM
If you look around there are several types of "wearable" pixels out in the market right now designed for these types of things. Here are some examples:

http://www.adafruit.com/category/65

You can also go the traditional pixel route, if you look around there are several battery holders that can give you the power you need just using AA batteries as well, so can swap them out as needed as they run down or use rechargeable. I would avoid using coin sized batteries, not enough Ah rating for any duration of time. I have played with this a bit using 4-AA batteries driving pixel strips and an E6804 controller, would for for about an hr or so then start wearing down, but a quick change of batteries and back in business. Of course I was driving 4-5M strips of 30 LED/M off of it with them wrapped around me like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation so my battery life was reduced, the less pixels the longer the batteries could go.

If using an FPP you can also drive up to 50 pixels directly off the GPIO as well, so no need for a pixel controller either. If 50 pixels will do what you need then you are all set, a few pixels, mount them, use an FPP and away you go, can even add a few micro pushbuttons to the GPIO to changes sequences on demand as well.

Lots of options out there that would do what you are looking for, Good Luck!!
Can you expand on the fpp route? I'd like to take a look at doing something like that too. Where would one start to look for this information?

gadgetsmith
05-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Can you expand on the fpp route? I'd like to take a look at doing something like that too. Where would one start to look for this information?

falconchristmas.com

In short, they provide software you can load onto a raspberry pi (various models). This software can run your entire Christmas display using e1.31, and supports many different usb dongles, and pixelnet output devices. One output option is to drive one universe (170) of 2801 pixels directly from the gpio pins on the pi, so basically the pi is the player and controller in a single package. There were some libraries being looked at to support 2811 pixels, but I'm not sure where that stands. New images of the falcon player are going to be coming fairly soon with support for the new Pi 2, and also Beaglebone Black. Guess it really depends on your time frame? Grad hat so I'm guessing sooner rather than later?