PDA

View Full Version : Vixen in VMWare?

davidn70
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Hello,

Has anyone tried using Vixen under VMWare? VMWare Server is now free. Server lets you run a virtual machine without displaying anything on your screen (unless you run their display console).

This could open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

VMWare Player is also free fits a different niche than the server product does.

Thanks!
David

rrowan
07-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi David,

Yes Vixen will run in a VMware. The problem is resources and ports (maybe).

I have had a VMware server (Linux host) running in my house for 6 months now (to cut down on the number of computers running in my closet). So I tried it and it works fine.

Note: I am only using it for testing of sequence ideas and will be using a standard windows pc to run the show. I don't plan on trusting it to run a show.

Note 2: It was tested with a USB to DMX dongle. So if using other ports you have try it out yourself.

Hope that helps

Rick R.

davidn70
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. I may get brave and see how well it will run shows. I have a pretty beefy Linux box but am still putting my controllers together etc.

Thanks again!
David

shocker
07-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I use vista 64 and i use vmware with xp to run vixen and work fine with serial and printer port

kostyun
07-31-2008, 09:59 PM
I ws able to run it also - didn't try the large show on it though.

mrpackethead
08-01-2008, 03:23 AM
Vixen runs sweetly under a variety of virtualisation platforms.

I run a copy under winxp using vmware fusion on my macbook pro, with a Entec DMX interface on teh Usb port.

I also have Vixen under win2k3, on a ESX 3.5 server, which will be running my production show.. the same server will also be serving up some video.. plentya grunt mindyou..

FYI, i'd recommend instead of Vmware Server, you run ESXi, which is now free as well.. Far better than vmware server and a lot more stable..

I got rid of a bunch of old clunky machines to reduce the space!!

omzig
08-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Does ESX run atop Linux or does it have its own kernel?

mrpackethead
08-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Does ESX run atop Linux or does it have its own kernel?

esx installs on the 'bare metal'.. ie you dont' need any other o/s to install it.

davidn70
08-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow... that is great news. I wish that ESXi was free 6 months ago when I put my latest Linux server together. Thanks everyone for all of the helpful replies.

David

mrpackethead
08-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow... that is great news. I wish that ESXi was free 6 months ago when I put my latest Linux server together. Thanks everyone for all of the helpful replies.

David

ESXi being free is very new.. They only put it out to market as 'free' on the 28 July. ESXi is quite cut down compared with the enterprise versions, and without a virtual center its quite hard to do the usefully cool things with it.. However for plain old virtualisaiton without the bells and whistles, its pretty handy.. And performannce is considerably better than the old vmware server.

DynamoBen
08-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Another VMWare option is Player or ACE. Player works very well, I've been using it on my desktop to run ubuntu because I need a USB connection (ESX doesn't do USB).

http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/10/26/vmware-player-windows-xp.html

mrpackethead
08-03-2008, 03:58 AM
Another VMWare option is Player or ACE. Player works very well, I've been using it on my desktop to run ubuntu because I need a USB connection (ESX doesn't do USB).

http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/10/26/vmware-player-windows-xp.html

Not officially or supported at least. ( its doable but its ugly, im told)

The way we get around this at work is to use 'AnywhereUSB' ( http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp ).. We had to do this because a few of our customers have pesky software that requires licence keys on usb dongles... These are not super cheap though.. Watch out for the soon to be released vs4.0 of ESX. Sorry if i had lead anyone up the garden path on this.. i completly forgot about the usb issue.

If your using desktop virtualisation products however, this is'nt an issue.

Unforutanty USB ports dont' really make much sense in a server environment where the hardware and software are not always connected.

MPH..

{edit] just had a converstation with a collegue about this.. he suggested another device that is quite a bit cheaper than the digi one..

http://www.silexamerica.com/web-store/2.html its $US79.00.. Gives you a single USB port, but you can attach a usb hub to it.. bonus is that it also has a wireless port, so you could use this for buidlign wifi links to control your lights.. Mmmm, thats got me thinking.. a really simple way of sorting out a problem..

DynamoBen
08-03-2008, 11:29 AM
I just ran into the full force of the USB issue this month. I have a lab manager system we use for development; trouble is the flagship product uses a security dongle. After researching both hardware and software USB over Ethernet options I ended up with the Lantronix UBox. It allows 50 concurrent USB connections. The limitations are you can only go one USB Hub deep for each onboard port (which is a bummer) and at the moment doesn't install under XP SP3.

BTW the big limitation for the Digi AnywhereUSB device it can't port share. Which means only one VM can use the entire device at a time.

I have yet to see any ESX betas, whats the story on v4?

stempile
10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I have been running Vixen on WinXP. WinXP is a guest OS on my Mac Mini running VMWare Fusion. I used it on my bench for testing. Haven't tried it for a show. Last year's show I ran a PC and Laptop. PC for the show and laptop for LedTricks.

ms

andyb
11-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm running Vixen on XP running under Fedora 8 x86-64 on qemu-kvm (Linux's native virtual machine) with the following options (running a RS232-RS-485 dongle on /dev/ttyS0):

qemu-kvm -M pc -m 768 -smp 2 -no-acpi -boot c -hda /home/vm/Windows_XP_Home.img -net nic,macaddr=00:16:3e:10:23:ee,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0,script=,ifname=virbr0 -usb -usbdevice tablet -std-vga -soundhw es1370 -localtime -serial /dev/ttyS0

If you are using a USB device that you want mapped to Windows XP, first locate it on Linux using:

lsusb

Then just add the following to the end of the qemu-kvm line:

-usbdevice host:0813:1007

were 0813:1007 is the device information from the lsusb command.

Hope this helps someone.

Andy