PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way?

pmiller
03-16-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm new to Vixen 3 but I'm finding it's a piece of cake. Sequencing is so easy. However, I'm not sequencing with music. Being new that is probably to much for me to handle my first year.

Now to the reason for this post. In Vixen I made a new sequence for arches and another new sequence for my HAPPY HOLIDAYS sign. My first sequence was the sign. When I made a new sequence for the arches I noticed on the left of Vixen that the sign was still listed. Then I made a another new sequence for a megatree and that sequence also had the sign and the arches listed on the left. I would assume that if I did get into sequencing with music I would want all sequences in one sequence window (did I say that right?). Is it better to have everything in one sequence or each item separate? I do notice that in preview I only see the sequence I opened playing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jchuchla
03-16-2015, 08:51 PM
It's more important to think in terms of profiles. While there's certainly workarounds it's best to think of your profile as everything that's in your display for a given show/season. So if you have arches and a sign, they're both in the same profile. Think of your profile like a toolbox. Everything that's available to use is in there.
Each of your sequences may or may not use all of your elements. Depending how you play and schedule things will determine how you want to section off different things to different sequences. The vixen 3 engine can play many sequences at the same time. Keep in mind though that the vixen 3 scheduler really only is set up to play one sequence at a time. (Well, 2 actually but that's a bit different). We also don't really have a mechanism in place yet for chaining of sequences or subsequences.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmiller
03-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Jon,
Right now I have the scheduler set up to play both the arches and the sign. But if I add more sequences to the scheduler, like the megatree sequence and shooting star sequence, it won't run? So thinking ahead as far as adding music later, I should make another sequence which involves all the elements I need set to the music?

jchuchla
03-16-2015, 09:12 PM
The scheduler has one main sequence loop called 'sequential', and one 'background' loop. Both of these loops are just a list of sequences that play in order. The two loops play at the same time.
You can add as many sequences as you want to in each loop. But only one sequence will be playing at a time in each loop.
The scheduler really isn't made to make several small sequences for parts of your show and stack them up. The only reason the background loop is there is so that you can have some stuff always on regardless of the other sequences while your main show runs in the sequential loop.
The whole process is designed for sequencing to music. Each musical sequence (or one without music where time is the reference as opposed to music) would contain the sequencing for all props in your show. The background loop is there more for those auxiliary items like a tune to sign or donation box that run independent of the sequencing.

--Jon Chuchla--

pmiller
03-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks Jon. Right now I have the scheduler background sequences as megatree, arches, holiday sign and shooting star. If, and right now that's a big IF, I decide to do music I would delete all those sequences and add a sequence with all those elements and call that sequence something like Show 2015.

jchuchla
03-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Yep. You've got it. I just wanted to make sure you were on the right track before going too far down that road.

--Jon Chuchla--

pmiller
03-16-2015, 10:03 PM
As always Jon you've been a big help. Thank you so much. Who knows, maybe after I'm done converting all my store bought displays to LED maybe I can find the guts and time to try doing a few items to music. Heck, I got forced into retirement 7 months early (no thanks to Life touch, the yearbook company, informing us last June 26 that they were closing the Kansas City plant) so I have plenty of time to delve into music sequencing. Thanks again Jon. You da man.

jchuchla
03-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Oh go ahead and give it a shot. It's not that bad. Sounds like you've got time on your hands to play with.

--Jon Chuchla--

pmiller
03-16-2015, 10:26 PM
I may just try it once I get the Renards. I'm using the 8 channel for the shooting star, the 16 for the megatree and the 24 I don't have plans for, yet.