PDA

View Full Version : Issue with effects

Phrog30
03-03-2015, 06:55 PM
I started a sequence and have noticed something weird and was hoping someone could tell me what I'm missing. If you look at the photo at about the 1 second mark you will see two effects for "outline". Outline is just an outline of my house. The group outline is the only area I am having issues with. So, the first effect is a wipe, the second is a "nutcracker" effect (I think it's a bar - the default or first one that gets added). If you see, the wipe goes across all of the elements/groups, but the nutcracker, it goes through the first 3 elements/groups, the last 2 it misses. If you look at the windows, just below the outline effects I just explained, those are nutcracker effects and work just fine. It doesn't matter what nutcracker effect I choose, they all do the same thing. All other effects, wipe, alternating, chase, etc, work just fine. I see nothing weird in the display setup or preview. Matter of fact, in the preview I can select each group in the tree and verify the correct group in the preview is highlighted (selected). Any ideas?

James

jchuchla
03-03-2015, 07:05 PM
It has to do with the number of elements in each subgroup. While you don't have them expanded in your screen shot, I'm assuming that each group contains a different number of elements or even different numbers of levels. Nutcracker effects expect groups one or two levels deep and of equal sizes whether it wants one or two levels deep depends on the individual nutcracker effect. Some are intended for a string and some for a grid. The length of each subgroup is determined by the first subgroup it encounters.
This is one of those legacy problems that's prompting the rewrite of this feature. When we get it to the point where it's location aware rather than group referenced this issue will disappear.
A workaround is to create fake elements in the first subgroup that makes that group equal to the biggest group.
Another workaround (depending on the specific effect) is to apply it to each subgroup separately.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phrog30
03-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Ok, thank you so much for that description. Makes sense. And yes, there are unequal elements in those groups. All others, tree windows, etc., are equal.

jchuchla
03-03-2015, 07:17 PM
No problem. It's been a common question. This is one topic that I really should write a support page for. I just keep putting it off in the hopes we get a fix out. But it'll be around for at least several more months so it's probably worth a write up.

--Jon Chuchla--

Phrog30
03-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Is there a bug list somewhere? I know I can go to the bug site, but I didn't see where everything known is listed in an easy read format.

jchuchla
03-03-2015, 07:28 PM
No, sorry. That is the list. It's really too big and too fluid to maintain a list manually.
And it's hard to classify as well. This issue for example isn't really a bug. It works exactly the way it's supposed to work. Though we do agree that it should be able to be more flexible and forgiving. So it's on the future improvements queue rather than the bug queue. .

--Jon Chuchla--

Phrog30
03-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Gotcha, bad choice of words, didn't really mean bug. Well, I guess we can all reference this forum for issues and tips. Thanks Jon.