PDA

View Full Version : Looking for any DirkCheapSSR assembling videos

ChristmasBuddy
02-25-2015, 08:10 PM
I am slowly getting my Ren-32s soldered together and I just remembered that I need to finish my DirkCheapSSRs. I have everything soldered on the board with the exception of my power cables and Cat5 cable.

Does someone have a video made that shows that process in detail? I'm a visual learner so it would be great to see either a video or close up images. The images that I saw in the wiki show a completed unit but they were not close up.

Thanks!

Buddy

Skunberg
02-25-2015, 09:37 PM
I haven't seen one. And there is many ways to do it. I put cat5 jacks on for data and 10 inch pigtails with vampire plugs for power.

ChristmasBuddy
02-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Where did you get those Cat5 jacks? And was the jack itself top or side for the cable?

I want side but pictures at some of the parts sites don't show that quite right.

Thanks!

Buddy

TomL8345
02-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Double Post

TomL8345
02-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Buddy,

i use Right Angle Cat5 jacks for my Dirk's Cheap SSR's. I just bought some off eBay, just search for Right Angle RJ45 jacks, but make sure they are 8 pin (8P8C) You should be able to get them for around $.50 each with free shipping.

Also there was a good thread for enclosure ideas a couple of years ago, http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?22657-Enclouser-Ideas-for-DirkCheapSSR

Hope that helps!

ChristmasBuddy
02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks!

I just did a search and saw some great deals. Can you PM me your sellers ID? I saw a lot of China and Hong Kong. I would rather deal in USA. I've been burned before with International buys.

Buddy

TomL8345
02-26-2015, 06:11 PM
I just did some more research, turns out I purchased mine from Amazon, http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDK52IS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I was extremely pleased with them and how quickly they were delivered

ChristmasBuddy
02-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks for sharing the information. As soon as I get home I am going to count my boards and order a bunch!

Buddy

Skunberg
02-26-2015, 06:26 PM
I have mine laying in a ta200 (not mounted) so I used side entry jacks but either will mount. The original intent that most went with is solder the cat5 directly to the board. I think I took the jacks from a Ren 48lsd kit or maybe a old group buy on jacks. I want to coat one in "never wet" and lay it in a puddle and video it working just to get a rise from some people here. Maybe next year or maybe the wife will talk sense into me. :-)

ChristmasBuddy
02-26-2015, 08:14 PM
I'm a network guy and I have TONs of cat5 cables. So it feels sort of weird or counter productive to cut em up.

I know...I should get over it. lol

Buddy

Skunberg
02-27-2015, 11:46 AM
When you cut one in half and solder to the dirk cheap, you get two for the price of one ;-) lol

TomL8345
02-27-2015, 02:45 PM
When you cut one in half and solder to the dirk cheap, you get two for the price of one ;-) lol

My issue with directly soldering the Cat 5 to Dirk's SSR is that you need to know the length of cable you will need when you build it, and then keep the SSR in the same place every season. I have been moving my display and controllers around a bit, so I am glad I went with the RJ45 jacks on the SSR's

Skunberg
02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
The dirk cheap was intended to be mounted to the prop. I don't and I think most don't but then you would have a short pigtail by the ground with a female end to connect. But that's why there isn't a "how to" because there are soooooo many ways to slice and dice them.

ChristmasBuddy
02-27-2015, 04:05 PM
I'm more worried about the power hookups than the Cat5 connections. If I can see them then it will make sense to me. That is the only thing for me that is cloudy.

dirknerkle
02-27-2015, 06:23 PM
This wiring diagram may be helpful....

The DirkCheapSSR was based on the concept of "cheap", with only basic attention to safety and current capacity. It can be safely used when no channel is overloaded, when the power plug is fused and when it is mounted inside a safe container of some kind, but as almost half of the SSR has exposed, hot 120VAC wiring, it must be very carefully assembled, wired, tested and used.

EDIT: Added a diagram for the original version of the DirkCheapSSR

ChristmasBuddy
02-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks Dirknerkle!

I wish that image looked like my PCB board. I guess I have an older version as the 5 neutral holds are not there.

Mine looks just like this one in the wiki.
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:DirkCheapSSRPCB.jpg

Buddy

ChristmasBuddy
02-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks Dirknerkle!

I wish that image looked like my PCB board. I guess I have an older version as the 5 neutral holds are not there.

Mine looks just like this one in the wiki.
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:DirkCheapSSRPCB.jpg

Buddy

dirknerkle
02-27-2015, 10:11 PM
I added another diagram of how you'd wire the original version of the SSR, which didn't have the neutral buss... check the other post with the diagrams....

ChristmasBuddy
02-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks Dirknerkle!

That is exactly what I needed to see!

Buddy