PDA

View Full Version : Broken metal frame deer and figures

timpwk
02-01-2015, 08:05 PM
I have an older metal frame deer in which the one antler piece broke at a weld. Can I silver soldier it back on? Can I use one of those cheap butane torches to braze it back on using an aluminum brazing rod? Any other ideas? I do not have access to any welding apparatus. I tried to use "cold weld", but after initially drying solid it quickly broke off outside. I also have some tinsel figures in which the "slot" that you place the arms in the weld has broken and the little square piece fell off. Can I use the same solution to the above to fix this issue? I also tried the cold weld product on this and after initially holding it broke off. Thanks!

Dougp
02-01-2015, 09:06 PM
You can use this. http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/

Skunberg
02-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Brazing with a brass rod should work.

timpwk
02-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Dougp, I tried JB weld last year and at first it looked great and seemed solid, but after a week outside it cracked off. Maybe the cold, snow, ice etc? Skunberg, I am familiar with brass brazing as my dad and I used to do it with an acetylene torch that I no longer have, do you think welding with an aluminum rod with a butane micro torch would work? I do not believe the micro torch will have enough oomph for brass.

Skunberg
02-03-2015, 08:12 PM
You can use brass rod and the powder flux with the cheap propane and oxygen torch that uses the throw away bottles. Just need to make sure all the paint is off.

Skunberg
02-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Micro torch gets hot enough for the brass I don't think it would work with the deer, not enough heat for that much steel. But if you have it and not the other try it out. From my use coat hanger is about max for a micro torch.

Dougp
02-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Dougp, I tried JB weld last year and at first it looked great and seemed solid, but after a week outside it cracked off. Maybe the cold, snow, ice etc? Skunberg.

I would have thought that it would have worked. Have you tried Craigslist to see if you could find a hobby welder that might spot weld it for you. Someone with a Mig welder can do it in about 2 min or less. I have fixed several that way.