PDA

View Full Version : Odd shape matrix

BASSNBUCK
01-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Is there anyway to make odd shape matrix and have it preview correctly? For example if you have an arch and wanted to fill in the middle? in the middle i would like the pixels to be close so i could play video or put up pictures.

james70818
01-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Not sure what sequencer you are using, but instead of using the pixel matrix tool in say Vixen 3 to quickly draw your matrix, you could draw each column or row one at a time. Not the easiest but it would work.

jchuchla
01-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Yeah. James is right on track there. A matrix isn't a matrix unless it's a grid with equal rows and columns. So if you want to use a bunch of dissimilar groups to the preview. That's exactly what you need to do.
Now the other thing you need to be aware of is that if you want to use it like a matrix for the purposes of sequencing. You do need to define the elements as a regular rectangle. This would mean you'll need to create elements you're not actually going to use. But vixen needs those elements to properly create the effects. You'd then only draw the elements you're actually using in the preview. And only patch the elements you've got connected.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebaronn
03-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Is there anyway to make odd shape matrix and have it preview correctly? For example if you have an arch and wanted to fill in the middle? in the middle i would like the pixels to be close so i could play video or put up pictures.

I had an odd shaped matrix in 2013 in the shape of a clock tower. It worked out pretty well.
Let me know if this is what you are referring to:

http://youtu.be/nStJIZAdDQM

thebaronn
03-10-2015, 11:47 PM
I read your initial post again and I think I have a better understanding (I once wanted a matrix under my firefly archers, but my program maker went belly up!) And if you are planning on having an oddly spaced matrix, I have no idea what to use anymore (non uniform spacing). I did do something like that in 2010 on a Halloween costume using GALAXIA!! (I loved Galaxia, it is STILL cutting edge software, you could run a test pattern, film it, and the program would read the video and automatically figure out where your pixels were!!! But it was super expensive). The pixels on the costume were mapped onto a 2D plane and I had the sequences triggered with LOR. Our Best Halloween show ever. (the pixel change is at 5:25, it is simple, but it was my first try)

http://youtu.be/R5Bmm9i0qc4?t=5m23s

The only thing I could think of is if you could map you oddly spaced matrix on a super large matrix with pixels just missing (like I did not clock tower, that whole center section isn't mapped)

jcmarksafb
03-11-2015, 12:55 AM
If you go into xlights/nutcracker you can make a custom model of almost anything you want. Then import it into whatever you are using.

thebaronn
03-11-2015, 01:05 AM
If you go into xlights/nutcracker you can make a custom model of almost anything you want. Then import it into whatever you are using.
Thought it still had to be in some type of grid?

ronp5683
06-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Yep, it is a grid, but you can do non-uniform spacing.