PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an older post on mini trees

c1evs
01-02-2015, 05:11 AM
Hiya all and a Happy New Year from the UK,

I recall looking last year at a post on a mini tree project. The member had used Perspex/corrugated sheeting as we call it, corro as you do (I think - forgive me if that's wrong).

The trees were pyramid shaped and then cut, folded or glued to form the tree shape. Then RGB led(s) were added with a sealed base. There was also a YouTube vid of the finished article.

I've spent a few hours looking on and off now. As I'm inherently looking for an easier option all the time. I've now decided to ask instead of looking (call me lazy - I will agree [emoji12]).

I'm after making a few of these this year and don't fancy reinventing the wheel. The template for that design and the how to would save time, probably money as well.

Cheers in hopeful anticipation of an answer.

Matt

Fresh101
01-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Hello Matt and everyone from this forum. I am new to this site/hobby and I am also interested to start with a few of this. Looking forward to see the post or guide. Thanks

Wayne J
01-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Is this the thread you were looking for?

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?35267-Derek-s-Dalek-Mini-tree-interest

c1evs
01-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Similar pal,
But the ones I looked at were an opal/opaque design with a solid pyramid shape (no hole in the top) and the led(s) were inside it.
The ideas the same definitely.
Although saying that I do like the idea of these. It's just outta my price range at the mo. With no pixels on the horizon yet and UK import costs killed me last year :-z.
I was considering using some RGB strip tape I have left over to line the bottom of them, for them to shine up and through.
It may have been a post within a post on recollection.

Hi there Fresh101, welcome to the forum. It's a great learning site and the folks on here are always full of great suggestions, advice and an occasional flavour of sarcasm. With the last one given only when needed ;-).
It's a great hobby, but for the newbie; like myself. Allow yourself plenty of time and research your thoughts before jumping in. To date, I think I thrown 300 at stuff that I'm never going to use, or broke after 1 season. Hence I never considered, or even heard of pixels before I decided in my current controllers.

Cheers for the quick replies so far folks...

Matt

Tegbert
01-02-2015, 10:11 AM
This one? http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33350

Travis

c1evs
01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
In the words that ring so loud many UK seaside resorts:

BINGO!

Oh! And if you don't know what I mean. That's is the one I'm looking for.
Cheers Travis.

I now just need to see how they're built. Better get cracking, only another 11months and 18 days until switch on...

Cheers all

Fresh101
01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Hence I never considered, or even heard of pixels before I decided in my current controllers.

Matt

The same here Matt, I had never hear of it until later December after Christmas. I have seen lights show videoa on YouTube and always liked the idea but never knew where to start. When doing research on SanDevices, I came across this site, and while gathering info and knowledge, I have notice it is something to think about as it's a expensive hobby. I expended $1,200 on lights around November to place around my newly owned house and it felt like I was still missing alot more lights and fixtures.

c1evs
01-02-2015, 10:38 AM
$1200 sounds like you're off to a good start. This is only my 2nd year and I've grown my display 2 fold.
It was a YouTube vid that got me hooked. One of Holdman's I recall. I did learn early on; that unless you've got an endless money pot to start with as well as overwhelming hours to throw at the hobby. You'll have to work up slowly to get anywhere near some of these great displays from the folks on here and other forums.

This year I learned the hard way. Ebay led strings don't stand up well to extreme weather (rain & wind). I lost a lot of my display and blew a good few triacs because of it.
So in hindsight, look at better waterproofing.

Lol

Matt

Fresh101
01-02-2015, 12:49 PM
$1200 sounds like you're off to a good start. This is only my 2nd year and I've grown my display 2 fold.
It was a YouTube vid that got me hooked. One of Holdman's I recall. I did learn early on; that unless you've got an endless money pot to start with as well as overwhelming hours to throw at the hobby. You'll have to work up slowly to get anywhere near some of these great displays from the folks on here and other forums.

This year I learned the hard way. Ebay led strings don't stand up well to extreme weather (rain & wind). I lost a lot of my display and blew a good few triacs because of it.
So in hindsight, look at better waterproofing.

Lol

Matt

Which LED strip you got from eBay? I think you can find any type of lights interested on eBay just that it will come at a higher price. I think the one you probably was interested on are the IP68 as its for worst conditions.

Well Matt, I did expended $1,200 but if I would have come across this site and a bit of knowledge I would have not expended on what I bought and invested on pixels. I did all my shopping at Lowes and Home Depot, most of my lights string were approx. $30-$50 each, I tried to get most LED but I had to settle on a few that weren't. I hope to start with a $500 investment into pixels (leaning towards the 12mm), controller (I am leaning towards the SanDevices) and Raspberry PI or Arduino Uno, to start playing with it and see what I can do and perhaps integrate it for 2015 Christmas setup.

Are you going to make your own mini tree or will you be buying them? Thanks

c1evs
01-03-2015, 04:28 AM
Hi there Fresh101,
I purchased a batch of 300 led strings from eBay, a China franchise once I received the invoice. Whilst they were detailed as weatherproof, I suspect they may have exaggerated a little [emoji35].
But as I bought them over a year ago for my first year, returning them is out of the question.
I did get a smaller batch of IP65(8) rob tape. But I never got around to using them outside. I did however wrap them around the stems of our indoor trees. Gives a great effect when cycling through its set program.

I've looked at the how to video on these tree. From the outset it looks like they are purchased units. I could emulate the design, the issue is routing the cuts for the fold lines in an accurate fashion. I might get a sheet and see how easy/hard it is. My next option is using Perspex/plexiglass sheeting to make the trees. I've found a company here in the uk that will cut a fixed template for you. They're not the cheapest, 40 for two trees (with no bases). But I need more long term waterproofing and lower led counts.

So we'll have to see how January's pay packet holds up to the Christmas bills and take it from there.

Cheers

Matt

rtrip9
01-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Those are the trees I designed for my 2014 show. Pm me I can give you all the details

rtrip9
01-04-2015, 12:15 AM
The actual tree was purchased, from holiday coro. But it will not look anything like my design. They are designed to be one complete color. Where as I made a 3 tier tree.

Please do not think you can buy these. I tried pushing the idea but they would not take the plan. But if you have any questions please feel free to ask.