PDA

View Full Version : Vixen 3 Sequences to share for next year

BillW
01-01-2015, 09:13 PM
I don't know why it didn't zip the sequence file but here it is. Thanks for letting me know, hope you enjoy.

I have enclosed some sequences I used this year, hopefully someone will be able to use them for next Christmas (2015). I want to thank everyone for helping me get my sequences up and running. I hope you enjoy them. For the music just PM me and I'll let you know what I used.

Happy New Years to all!
BillW

mkozik1
01-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Hi Bill - Was not able to find your sequences in your file.

Thanks,

BillW
01-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Post up dated! Thanks Mark.

jcmarksafb
01-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Don't know about whole sequences, but I would like to know if anyone knows where we can share custom models for vixen 3. I'm going to try and make my singing tree model in a little while if I decide to go with vixen 3 this year.
John

tech929
01-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Bill, this looks good, thanks for sharing.

Now if someone with a Pixel sequence would share like this ;-)

Matt

mkozik1
01-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Thanks Bill - Will take a gander once I figure out how to :-)

Traneman
01-02-2015, 11:50 PM
I agree how,what, do we do with it. And how do we send ours

tech929
01-03-2015, 12:10 AM
What I did:
- In C:\Users\\Documents\Vixen 3 folder
- Move everything there to a Backup folder
- Copy the following from Bill's zip to that folder: Audio, Logs, Module Data Files, System Data, and VixenApplicationData.xml
- After that edit VixenApplicationData.xml with Notepad ++ or Textpad to change the references to what your actual path is where you see Bill's path.
- In C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Vixen move everything there into a Backup folder
- Copy the following from Bill's zip /Vixen file to that folder: Settings.xml and TimedSequenceEditorForm.xml
- In Settings.xml change the references to Bill's documents path to whatever yours is just as you did above.
- Copy the Sequence folder from Bill's Sequence.zip to C:\Users\\Documents\Vixen 3
- You can also edit the .tim files to point to the MP3s if needed.

mkozik1
01-03-2015, 04:53 PM
The only way that I can see to do this would be to zip up our existing directories and then restore the new over the old. Maybe Jon has a different way and can chime in!!

In regards to sending yours - There is a ZipWizard in the application that will zip everything up and allow you to post to others.

tech929
01-03-2015, 04:55 PM
I posted how I did it, but I'm under moderation and the post is hidden

jchuchla
01-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Currently in v3, sequences rely on the profile they're created for. You can't open a sequence without the elements it needs. And you can't just make the elements. They need to come from the original profile.
This makes sharing stuff very impractical at the moment.
We're currently in the process of laying out the 2015 plan for changes in v3 and this includes some big changes to the file format is high on the list because we're really limited by the current format. Hopefully sometime mid summer we'll be far enough along for everyone to realize some benefits from these changes.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillW
01-03-2015, 05:22 PM
What I did was create a new folder moved the zip file to it and unzipped it there. When you start V3 you can select Systems>Profile>Give the profile a new name, go to Data Folder and browse for the folder you just created>click "Ask Me Every Time", click okay and restart V3. While the program is loading it will ask you which profile to load select the appropriate file and click okay. V3 will load the profile and you should be good to go. (I hope I remembered it correctly!) This will work provided that all of the files (including the profile) are in the original zip file.

BillW

jchuchla
01-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Yeah. That will let you open the profile. But then what do you do with it? It still doesn't let you copy it from that profile to your own without a lot of extra work.

--Jon Chuchla--

BillW
01-03-2015, 05:41 PM
What I ended up doing was loading on profile copying what I needed, close the program restart and selected the profile I wanted to modified/build and paste it in. You're correct it is a lot of back and forth, but it worked.

BillW

tech929
01-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Let's try this again...
Here is what I did to play back. Seems like a lot of steps, but it took me about 5 minutes (all done with Vixen closed):

Part 1
- In Documents -> Vixen 3 folder, move everything that is there to a Backup folder
- Copy the following from Bill's 2014 Show.zip file to the Documents/Vixen 3 folder: Audio, logs, Module Data Files, System Data, VixenApplicationData.xml
- Edit the VixenApplicationData.xml file (using a good text editor - Textpad, Notepad ++, etc) to change the path references from his user name to yours.
- Copy the Sequence folder from Bill's Sequence.zip file to this directory.

Part 2
- In Users -> Username -> AppData -> Romaing -> Vixen folder, move everything that is there to a Backup folder
- Copy the contents of Bill's Vixen folder in the 2014 Show.zip to the Users -> Username -> AppData -> Romaing -> Vixen folder
- Edit the Settings.xml file as before to change the paths from his settings to yours (possibly just have to change the user name)
- Replace the contents between the <AppSettings> </AppSettings> section in his Settings.xml file with what you originally had in yours

Part 3
- Not required, but you might need to change the references in the .tim files for the music if you care to.

When you are finished, close Vixen, move the contents of the two folder locations into another folder (I called mine BillW), and put your original files back in their original location.

Matt

superdave
01-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Making sequences easier to share would certainly be extremely helpful for people. Reading the thread about people feeling like they weren't successful due to lack of time, etc. If they could use some shared sequences to take one thing off their plate, it would probably help in the overall effort to get a display going each year.

jchuchla
01-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Yeah. That will let you open the profile. But then what do you do with it? It still doesn't let you copy it from that profile to your own without a lot of extra work.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
01-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Matt's process is unnecessarily complicated. All you need to do is unzip the profile into a new folder that is not inside your own profile. I recommend c:\v3profiles\<profilename>
Then in vixen use the profile manager to set up a new profile pointing to that folder. That's it. All done. At this point the preview background won't work and the audio files will have broken references. You usually don't need to see someone else's preview so that's no big deal. To fix the audio, just re associate the audio file in the sequence editor.

--Jon Chuchla--

tech929
01-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Compared to your solution it is very complicated ;-) Yours is much easier, and works nicely. Thanks!