PDA

View Full Version : Caution about Dev builds

jchuchla
12-29-2014, 10:40 AM
We have started our 2015 development work in earnest. While we normally ask you to be cautious about development builds, the builds over the next several months will be particularly risky. We have a lot of big changes in the works and the changes we're working on have a high risk of corrupting your configuration and sequence data until we get it all finished and tested. I'd strongly recommend specifically checking with the developers before downloading and using any builds with real data in the first half of the year.

barbotte
12-29-2014, 11:09 AM
cool more improvement ... any hint on what to expect new this year ?? thanks

IaRoadKill
12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
I am currently on 3.1u1 and I see there is a 3.1u2 on the Internet. Is it safe to download that one?

jchuchla
12-29-2014, 11:49 AM
anything that's listed in the two big download boxes on this page (http://www.vixenlights.com/downloads/vixen-3-downloads/) are good and safe, and are the most recent general release.

If you scroll down below to the "Bleeding Edge Developer" section, and click thru the next warning page, that's where you'll find the risky builds. We try to keep them harder to get to, but still available for those who want to test for us.

jchuchla
12-29-2014, 11:55 AM
cool more improvement ... any hint on what to expect new this year ?? thanks

The biggest (and most invasive) are performance related, and file structure related. We're changing some big things in the core engine to streamline performance and make things run faster and smoother.

We're also changing some things in the file storage, both in the sequence file format, and in the configuration files as well. In the end, we do plan on all of your existing work to seamlessly transfer to the new formats, but in the meantime, there's a good chance of losing stuff until we get it all fully tested.

In the next week or two, I'll be posting a roadmap in another thread to highlight everything else we're planning. Now is a good time to post feature requests at http://bugs.vixenlights.com. There's a good chance that we've already heard it, but it doesn't hurt to make sure we remember. You can also search for existing requests to see if they're already in the system, and add your thoughts and comments to them.