PDA

View Full Version : Wire for 5v power

deplanche
07-14-2008, 11:55 PM
I am planning on using the Switching Power Supply (Model PTE43-31) off of e-bay to power my grinch. I bought Mouser part 538-09-50-1061, to make the connection easy. But I am not sure what size wire goes into that, and how to crimp the wire in that once i have the right size.

I think the connection on the grinch side would use 22-24 gage wire, but that seems to small for the above. But anything bigger won't fit into the "pins" to power the grinch. So I am lost. Please help.

Also, what is the best way to crimp the wires into the grinch 5v connection (parts listed in the grinch BOM).

Thanks,

Jon

rlilly
07-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Jon,

I'm using speaker wire that I had lying around without any issues. This is powering two Grinches, two Ren-Cs. I soldered the connection to the Molex pins to insert into the Molex plug at both the Grinch and power supply connector.

I really don't care for the Grinch power connector. It is unfriendly to disconnect. It is smaller than the power supply connector, but a wire gauge size that will fit the Grinch plug can be used at the power supply end.

deplanche
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
How did you solder the Molex plugs? Aren't they all plastic, or am I missing something?

rlilly
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I soldered to the pins, then inserted them into the plugs.

deplanche
07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
So should I have ordered some type of pins with the 538-09-50-1061?

rlilly
07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, the pins are separate from the plugs.

I asked Kevin to put the following information on his website, (http://kevincook.net/Hobbies/Electronics/Lights/PowerSupply/index.htm) as there has been confusion on this issue.

For the PTE-43-31 power supplies, the mating pin and plugs are as follows:

The pins are Mouser 538-08-70-1030. (These fit the two plugs below)

The 3 pin plug into which these pins mount is Mouser 538-09-50-1031. This mates to CN1.

The 6 pin plug is Mouser 538-09-50-1061. This mates to CN2.

jeffathompson
07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
How did you solder the Molex plugs? Aren't they all plastic, or am I missing something?

I also used 22 gauge wire. The tin pins can be soldered onto the wire and then inserted into the plastic conector. What I did was strip only about 1/4 inch, so that the top connector is crimped over insulated wire. The first one I put together I left bare and it broke the copper wire after unplugging it twice. Just a tiny touch of solder.
And yes, I agree, they are not the easiest things to unplug. I have mine plugged in to the Grinch and have another disconnect at the power supply.

deplanche
07-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Yes, the pins are separate from the plugs.

I asked Kevin to put the following information on his website, (http://kevincook.net/Hobbies/Electronics/Lights/PowerSupply/index.htm) as there has been confusion on this issue.

For the PTE-43-31 power supplies, the mating pin and plugs are as follows:

The pins are Mouser 538-08-70-1030. (These fit the two plugs below)

The 3 pin plug into which these pins mount is Mouser 538-09-50-1031. This mates to CN1.

The 6 pin plug is Mouser 538-09-50-1061. This mates to CN2.

I see now. I misunderstood the "pins" to be what was attached the to power supply, not what fit into the plug. Guess I need to order a few of those now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sparkey
07-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone.
I just finished putting my Grinch together and need on more quesiton answered.
on the Christmas Wiki Assembly instructions the document states that:
pin J1 is for power routed via the Parallel-to-Ethernet connection and
pin J2 is for power from an externial source.

So which pin(s) are positive and which are negative? Please look at my
attached jpg file and tell me if I have it correct.

Thanks!!!
Sparkey

RavingLunatic
07-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Sparkey,

You are mis-understanding the Grinch a little bit (based on your drawing). Hopefully I can clarify it for you.

J2 is for connection of a external power source (which I believe you understand) and you do have the +/- going to the right places.

J1 is a header that gets a jumper placed on it IF you are wanting to send the power from the Grinch out the RJ45. You would do this if you wanted to send power to a Ren-C or to another Grinch. OR you would place a jumper on it if you were supplying the power to the Grinch via the RJ45 connector.

Hope this helps.

Sparkey
07-19-2008, 03:46 PM
RavingLunatic
Thanks for the info. I did not know if the "jumper" needed to be daisy chained
between units (J1 to J1) if you had more than one hence the polarity question.
I plan on running a secondary 5VDC from the computer power supply to the
Grinch by using a Molex on one end and the Grinch J2 jumper on the other.

I really do appreciate your help!!
Thanks a bunch.
S.

wildredhead
08-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Sorry if this post seems a little remedial, but I don't understand exactly how this gets hooked up. I need it Idiot Proof;)

So lets say I was going to use an old computer to supply the power to the grinch...
THe red 5v wire connects to which pin on J2? Does it matter which one the ground and which one the 5v connect to?

THen the jumper goes on J1 connecting both pins?

Wayne J
08-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry if this post seems a little remedial, but I don't understand exactly how this gets hooked up. I need it Idiot Proof;)

So lets say I was going to use an old computer to supply the power to the grinch...
THe red 5v wire connects to which pin on J2? Does it matter which one the ground and which one the 5v connect to?

THen the jumper goes on J1 connecting both pins?

Already is 'idot proof' ;)

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_GRINCH_Controller

Keith R
08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
LooKs like the Square pad for J2 is next to the edge of the board. I don't have a Grinch, but my bet is that is pin 1 (+5 volts).
Also, if using a computer power supply, those PS are only stable if there is a load on the +5 volts. That is how they regulate their voltages. be sure to have a switch in line from the power supply to the input of the Grinch so that you can turn your 5 volts on after turning on the supply and it is stable. Just an extra precaution that I take.

dadams14
09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I must be the idiot .Is pin 1 on the edge of the board on J1 ???
I want to make sure I don't hook up in wrong polarity
Thanks
Dennis

RavingLunatic
09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I must be the idiot .Is pin 1 on the edge of the board on J1 ???

If you say so. :p

J1 is a jumper header so it doesn't matter.

But for J2, yes pin 1 is next to the boards edge.