PDA

View Full Version : PICkit2 Starter Kit and the REN-C

Keith R
07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Just a note to let you folks know that the Demo board that comes with the PICkit 2 Starter Kit will not program your PIC 16F627a (REN-C pics). I am not so sure that the MPLABs software supports it. It will, however, work fine for the 16F688 (Renard 8, 16, 24) chips.
The PICkit 2 and associated software DOES support the 16F627a and will program the chip while on board the REN-C if you have the proper cable. It will also plug in directly, but I would not advise it as you could tear the header off of your REN-C board.
I have been told from reliable sourse that the 40 pin ZIF available on eBay does work with the 16f627a's, and it is supported by the PICkit 2. That would be the way to go if you are programming both 16F627a and 16F688 (most other Renards). For me, the starter kit was a waste of the demo board, since it did not program the REN-C PIC's.
Still, a big thanks to Wayne's tutorial as I had to use one program to assemble into hex, then program using the PICkit software and the hex code. I would not have made it without those tutorials.
Thanks Wayne.
Keith

Wayne J
07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Good to hear!

On programming the 16F627A, is there not enough room to plug the PicKit directly to the Ren-C header with no cable? Maybe remove the RS485 IC?

RavingLunatic
07-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I always reprogram my Ren-C via the PGM header. The PICKIT2 does come in contact with U1 but it still fits well enough to get the job done.

I believe he mentioned using a cable because the cable that comes with the PICKIT2 (at least mine) is relatively short and you need to bring the Ren-C close to the computer. If someone has their Ren-C mounted in an enclosure they might have problems getting the PICKIT2 close enough to the Ren-C.