PDA

View Full Version : How do you roof mount your wireframe?

colesdad45
12-15-2014, 06:09 PM
I made a 4 piece skiing snowman for my roof and for the first year I just used a couple sand bags to hold them to the roof. Is anybody else using anything a little more aesthetically pleasing during the day? I was thinking about securing some sort of bracket under the shingles, kinda like the plank brackets for laying shingles, but late November in Iowa is not the time for messing with cold shingles. Any ideas out there?

Dougp
12-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I just use sand bags as I don't want to put holes into my roof. I use plastic bags for the sand and then put them into cloth bags. You could use whatever color of cloth bags so that the blend in with the shingle color if you want to.

smallcrpt
12-15-2014, 09:32 PM
I use lots of string, tied off to gutters and vent stacks. They've held on pretty well.

DaveJZ
12-16-2014, 01:17 AM
House is 25ft wide with a low pitch roof... Used electric fence wire.. Its cheap and you get alot.. First run of wire was from front gutter nail on front to top element, have help holding them up and string the wire to the back gutter nail. I then ran another wire from same front nail to the bottom of the element and then to the same back gutter nail. Went to the peak of the roof and wired the two wires together. Help up so far with the five 4ft stars on the house roof... Don't even see them budge when the wind blows.....

Now that I say that I'll wake up in the morning and fine my back gutters in the front yard.

duane.mosley
01-18-2015, 10:39 PM
i used 18 awg mechanics wire, home depot has 250' rolls for around 4 bucks. they also have 24 awg which works on lighter stuff. just tie off between the gutters and the ridge cap. i used plastic corner bead to go over the side of my roof to protect the edge of my shingles. i have 8-2' snowflakes on my roof and i use the icicles that i have mounted on pvc for the counter weight for my snow flakes to pull from the sides.