PDA

View Full Version : The NEW Mega Tree frame

kostyun
07-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, after much research - I think I may have figured out a NEW mega tree frame.

Not going to be going for as "BIG" of a tree this time (50 feet was just too much) So, were looking at a 35 foot tree this time.

Taking some hints from the HAM community - I'm using a "tilt up" tower design based on a 4 x 4 steel tube. The base is a 2 x 2 ft steel plate.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1621&stc=1&d=1215453613

The inspiration:

http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/Crank-up%20Tilt-over%20Tower.htm (thats a 53 foot tower on the same design - no guy's)

Wayne J
07-07-2008, 05:43 PM
hmmm, that should work very well!

kostyun
07-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Thats what I'm hoping.

I've been "bored lately"

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1622&stc=1&d=1215467396

And yes, everything is to scale - and yes, if you look inside the window that is my aquarium.

dnesci
07-07-2008, 06:52 PM
And I always thought they were only bigger in Texas. Man, that's a project. How many strings of lights are needed? And how many channels will be used?

kostyun
07-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Smaller than last years "first" one - it'll have 30,000 lights and 100 channels. (I already have that part done from last year lol)

toodle_pipsky
07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Nice stuff. For some reason the little man is very funny and I can't stop laughing at it! Sorry, my sense of humour is on holiday.

kostyun
07-07-2008, 11:03 PM
The "person" is a default icon from google...... I can delete him. But it you like him!

wbuehler
07-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Very Nice

Bill

toodle_pipsky
07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
No don't delete him! You know, "default" people in design or architect's drawings are always dull. Just once I'd like to see a REAL person in one of those pictures, you know walking along yawning, scratching themselves, picking their nose, mid sneeze would be hillarious!

Waaaay off topic here. Sorry.

jderba
07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
That's going to be nice Frank, good luck

Ronp
07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
how about this one

Macrosill
07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Not sure if that is better or worse Ron, LOL.

Michael
07-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I am only at 12' trees now and looking to go bigger.
That design looks interesting.
I have two questions:
-When in the cranked up position, is there a pin to hold the weight, or is the cable holding all of the weight ?
-Is there a lot of wobble at the top, or does the inner pole fit tight to the outer pole to prevent the wobble. I would worry that if it flexed a lot, some of the light strands could break. Maybe some bungie cords on each strand to keep them tight, but not snap?

- Michael

kostyun
07-08-2008, 05:21 PM
There will be a bottom pin (I'd say a nice 1/2" grade 8 bolt) - and then I'll use 4 guy wires down to the base.

One thing I will also do - is with that many lights - I'll sets of 6 "string bundles" (which consist of 600 lights) on a winch also - that was I can raise and the lights from the top in case of storms (which was my demise from last year)

omzig
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
OMG, that's tall! Do you have any nearby airports? If so, you may have to include a blinky light on the top even in the daytime!

kostyun
07-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Thankfully I'm out of the flight path due to nearby mountains.

ron d
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
30 sets of lights per channel? your tree will top the total light count of natl. lampoons xmas vacation. speaking of one of my favorite movies, stick your tounge to the pole when its frozen while wearing a michael meyers mask and listening to pink floyd the wall and you combine my favorite 4 movies.
anyway.......30sets of lights per channel?

TERBObob
07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Question :

How deep does that concrete base have to be set into the ground ? And does it hold the base of the mount with just bolts ? and if so , what size bolts are holding it down ?

kostyun
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I am planning a 2 x 2 x 2 concrete base - base is bolted down - I want to use 3/4 or 1" grade 8. I will use some sort of nuts or something welded to the rebar to bolt into.

with the guy anchors they'll be 1 x 1 x 2 concrete forms.

WWNF911
07-09-2008, 01:59 AM
how about this one

Not sure if that is better or worse Ron, LOL.

Is that Frank? Can't tell.

Leon

deplanche
07-09-2008, 08:00 AM
30 sets of lights per channel? your tree will top the total light count of natl. lampoons xmas vacation. speaking of one of my favorite movies, stick your tounge to the pole when its frozen while wearing a michael meyers mask and listening to pink floyd the wall and you combine my favorite 4 movies.
anyway.......30sets of lights per channel?

I think it would be 3 sets/channel x 100 lights/set = 300 lights/channel
300 lights/channel x 100 channels = 30,000 lights

deplanche
07-09-2008, 10:01 AM
A few safety issues I want to point out for anyone attempting to make something similiar to this:

- If you put a concrete foundation in the ground (which generally means the object is permanent) or to erect something this tall (in many cases anything over a 4' fence), permits may be required. These permits may have special requirements that you need to follow.
- The size of a concrete foundation (and even the pole for that matter) is dependant on pole height, size, wind, and soil conditions. Never assume that because something worked for one person, it will work for you. Your conditions may vary significantly.
- Keep in mind that there can be signifcant forces due to wind, snow, and ice, in addition to the weight of the lights themselves.
- It can be very difficult to install something 35' tall, exactly plumb. Any lean in the pole can contriubte to tipping in that direction, especially when you factor in the loads mentioned above.
- Call before you dig for a foundation. You never know what utilities are burried.

I felt the need to bring this up since I am a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in New York State and have designed light pole, traffic signal poles, and poles for sign structures before, and I want everyone's displays to be as safe as possible.

By no means do I mean to discourage anyone from building anything like this. Just want to make sure you know what goes into it before you do so.

Jon

kostyun
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
As far as digging goes - I'm good there - I had the utilities marked last year. I'm 5' away from the power/cable/phone lines. The "foundation" will be beneath the driveway - so once its all taken down, it won't be visible.

I'm also lucky that in AZ I don't need a permit for a temporary structure thats up for less than 90 days. Also being in AZ, I don't have snow, or ice. I do have wind - but - I take that into account with being able to lower the lights to the ground.

TERBObob
07-12-2008, 10:53 AM
The "foundation" will be beneath the driveway - so once its all taken down, it won't be visible.

Wow .. you got me trying to picture this , and sure as heck , can not come up with anything ,except that your gonna have some bolts sticking up in your driveway somewhere :confused:

omzig
07-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Wow .. you got me trying to picture this , and sure as heck , can not come up with anything ,except that your gonna have some bolts sticking up in your driveway somewhere :confused:That had me scratching my head too.

Wayne J
07-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I am planning a 2 x 2 x 2 concrete base - base is bolted down - I want to use 3/4 or 1" grade 8. I will use some sort of nuts or something welded to the rebar to bolt into.

with the guy anchors they'll be 1 x 1 x 2 concrete forms.

Wow .. you got me trying to picture this , and sure as heck , can not come up with anything ,except that your gonna have some bolts sticking up in your driveway somewhere :confused:

That had me scratching my head too.

As I picture it, there will be only holes in the concrete. The nuts in the concrete base, and the bolts go down through the frame into the concrete.

WWNF911
07-13-2008, 05:28 AM
As I picture it, there will be only holes in the concrete. The nuts in the concrete base, and the bolts go down through the frame into the concrete.

This can be easily done with Hilti drop-in anchors. (That style will leave only a hole the rest of the year as opposed to a stud sticking up.) However, make sure that the driveway is thick enough. At least 6 inches. Anything less and you may punch through the slab when setting the anchors.

Leon

Jeff Millard
07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Frank,

Touching on Jon's point about permits and digging... Here in NJ markouts are only good for 14 days on a construction permit. If you don't start digging during the 2 week window you have to have it marked out again...

Just some food for thought.

Jeff

kostyun
07-14-2008, 02:06 AM
If they want to come mark again there welcome too.... its free... no biggie to me. But, since its a temporary structure. (Which I will call a "flagpole") There's a couple 30 foot ones in the neighborhood as it is.

You have to remember, I live in the state where open carry of firearms is legal. (I remember when the grocery store had a "gun check" - and know of places that still do)

WWNF911
07-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Hmmm,.. Frank lives in the wild west. Is that for varmits or simply for border patrol?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing025.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

ThaiWay
07-31-2008, 02:29 AM
Great job with Google Sketchup Frank! It's a fun program. I like the guy a lot too! <grin>

John

kostyun
07-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Going to bump this one a little more, and answer any questions that have popped up - since this is going to be the design I go with:

Main pole is a 32 ft Street Light Pole, I will still use the "tilt up" method with a fulcrum at 8 feet (I will also add an additional 50-75lbs of weight to the end of the pole, to help make it balanced for the raising.) Guy wires will be 1/4" wire. I will be using double guys - one at the top, and one at the top of the pivot.

Pole "failure" direction will be straight back - it will destroy a gate, but that is all.

As far as digging is concerned, I will be "cutting" the driveway to make a "repair" to the driveway. Once cut, I may end up digging a big hole, filling it with rebar, concrete and some bolt anchors for the repair.

My driveway itself is sloped. I will leave the cut section flat / recessed, and create an insert to fill/cover it. I haven't measured the exact slope yet, but, with this, I will use exposed bolts out of the concrete for the mounting (again, covered with a insert during the off season)

Lights will be crank up - I the "topper" will contain three pulley wheels at the top, and connect to steel cables going down (inside the pipe) and on the outside to a round bracket, and will use the winch to raise the lights. Harbor freight has a few "cheap" electric winches that would do the job.

kostyun
07-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Of course - look for more sketches to come!

dirknerkle
07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
From the sound of it, it'd almost be cheaper to buy a used cherry picker, paint it black and just drop the cables down from the bucket. :p Park it by the garage during the off-season, or rent it out and recover your cost...

Sounds like quite a project!!!

-d

kostyun
07-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Lol - well, I found the street light pole on craigslist for $100 - so there's a huge savings.

But!! I may have found a better solution - a 57 ft crank up ham tower for $300.

WireWrap
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM

And if you have your Ham license, you can stick a Tri-Bander up there with neons on the end of the elements and let 'em glow to your voice. :idea: :smile:

dirknerkle
07-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Ham tower? I'll sell you a ham sandwich for only $3.50. Think of the savings!!!

I think in our residential area, the limit is 100' and that was for a guy who wanted to put up a wind turbine. Just think -- you could generate your own electricity, maybe sell it back to the power company and then retire on all the profits!!! :mrgreen:

(geez.... this is getting out of hand...)

-d

kostyun
07-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Just think -- you could generate your own electricity, maybe sell it back to the power company and then retire on all the profits!!! :mrgreen:-d

And probably get a govt grant to pay for all of it!

WWNF911
07-08-2009, 02:53 AM
Or at the very least, if it failed to be profitable, you could apply for a bailout.....

What? Somebody already thought of that?

kostyun
07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Scratch the entire drawing... I just recieved word that the 57' ham tower is availible for pickup for ME!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I did my first mega tree I wanted a ham tower, couldn't find one, built a piece of junk, last year wanted a ham tower, no mega tree.

With the ham tower, this will GREATLY simplify the amount of work I have to do to get the lights ready for the year, and for the mega tree.

Macrosill
07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
You sure the tower will handle the weight? It is designed for an antenna, not 20,000 lights.

kostyun
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Pretty darn sure!

The mythbusters recently used a antenna tower strapped to the top of a car to test the "can you hang onto a car" episode"

The antenna itself is a designed for a max height of 57' un-guyed - I will be goign to about 31/32 feet GUYED. Wind load with a 10m antenna is 85 mph for this tower.

Take a look at this:

http://andrewschristmas.com/mega.htm

dirknerkle
07-15-2009, 06:10 PM
57 feet???

As Frank would have said on "Everybody Loves Raymond..." HOLY CRAP!!!

Mudsculpter
07-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Thats gonna be a nice tree. I envy you. I wouldnt be able to climb it though. I'm a-scared of heights if I can see the ground under me.

dirknerkle
07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
...I'm a-scared of heights if I can see the ground under me.

You can see the ground? Wow. I can't do that because I have DunLaps disease --my belly dun laps over my belt... :grin:

kostyun
07-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Thats my hope @ nice tree.

So far I have picked up

- electric winch - no more pulling lights up by hand
- 150 ft 3/16" wire rope
- 6 of 1/2" x 6" take in turnbuckles

Now I'm trying to procur:

• 50 Malleable Galvanized Wire Rope Clips
• 4 Forged Eye Bolts, 1/2" x 12"
• 50 Malleable Galvanized Wire Rope Clips 3/16"
• 50 Spring Hooks, Snap Hooks, Carabiners, size 1/4"
• 6 Drop Forged, Load Rated Anchor Shackles, 5/16"

Of everything I've purchased so far as far as supports go - the weakest link is the turnbuckles with a 2600lbs

ranger_391xt
07-15-2009, 11:32 PM
You might try here (http://store.wastewatersupplies.com/hotgalvanized.html) for the wire rope clips. I have purchased from them before, and their prices are pretty reasonable compared to going to a hardware or home improvement store. They are in New York, so shipping to AZ may not make it cost effective. They may also have the other stuff your looking for.

Chris

kostyun
07-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I just sent the list (earlier) to an ebay seller that looks pretty good. Looking for a shipping cost estimate from the seller.

I did find the 1/2" x 6" turnbuckles from an ebay seller for $1.99 each + shipping

kostyun
07-16-2009, 02:29 AM
All hardware is now OBTAINED! Next few weeks will include cutting the driveway to put in the eye bolts and the mounts for the tower base.

kostyun
07-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Tower pickup is tommorow morning!!!!

Wayne J
07-18-2009, 09:32 PM
http://www.jamesfamilychristmas.com/files/stuff/ttiwwp.gif

LOL, seriouly, don't forget the pics! :cool:

budude
07-18-2009, 11:32 PM
very subtle Wayne....... ;)

Wayne J
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
very subtle Wayne....... ;)

LOL, I try. :cool:

kostyun
07-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Well, we can start with the turnbuckles!!! 1/2" threaded, about 14" long unscrewed.

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiA8OCVbVTldPU5RTC4yLys%2FOzouMzY5LTI% 2BMCU%2BIy0jJjs%3D

kostyun
07-19-2009, 03:35 PM
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiA8OCsqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

WWNF911
07-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Looks like a Mega Tree Pole. :D

dirknerkle
07-20-2009, 09:23 AM
I've never checked the tensile strength and/or stretchability of light string wire. I would imagine that this super-mega-tree will be pushing that wire to its limits, especially in the wind. Wow

I showed the pics to my wife and explained how tall it was and just exactly where we could put one in our yard. Now I'm no longer drooling at the mouth over it... the doctor says I can remove the bandages in a week or so... :o

Wayne J
07-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I've never checked the tensile strength and/or stretchability of light string wire. I would imagine that this super-mega-tree will be pushing that wire to its limits, especially in the wind. Wow

I showed the pics to my wife and explained how tall it was and just exactly where we could put one in our yard. Now I'm no longer drooling at the mouth over it... the doctor says I can remove the bandages in a week or so... :o

I would think the best way to handle that would be to use wire rope (maybe 1/16") to attach the strings to.

kostyun
07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I would think the best way to handle that would be to use wire rope (maybe 1/16") to attach the strings to.

When I made the "Mega Tree" strings two years ago - I ziptied lights into "large" 3 color strings containing 600 lights each. I had them up/out to 55 ft long strands with no issues (zip ties every 4") I had about 8" of strech over the season (most in the first week since the light sets were brand new - then minimul after that)

In 2-3 years when the Mega Tree goes to LED - I will zip tie 1/16" steel cable into the strands when building them.

rice66
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
You learn someting everyday, if you rad this forum daily. Interesting tower set up, was about to order 21ft sticks of primed 14 ga 2" X 2" for another project (metal gazebo). Looks like I am in for a few more sticks and steel plate. my rhon tower at previous house was bolted to a 2'X2' cube of concrete , height was only 35ft. This location is up for grabs, I still have the 35 but no 2x2 cube. I can climb still , but a crankover is up my alley now.
Thanks Frank
Rice66

kostyun
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
And some more bonus photo's for this evening! The new Mega Tree Star!!

(For a size comparison - the TV is a 55")

Also recieved today the rest of the hardware (tie down rods, thimbles, shackles, wire rope clips and carabiners.)

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiA8PyQqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

WWNF911
07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Frank,

If you're not careful they're gonna see that thing from space.

Leon

kostyun
07-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Frank,

If you're not careful they're gonna see that thing from space.

Leon

Isn't that the point?

dirknerkle
07-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Isn't that the point?

Yah, but according to the NASA grapevine, going to the ISS or the moon is passe. Mars is next. That means you already need a bigger tower. :mrgreen:

kostyun
07-21-2009, 01:21 AM
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiA8PyoqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

Rest of the hardware arrived today also!

kostyun
07-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Did all of the final "math" tonight for the Mega Tree setup - the overall height willl be 35' and 11" (I may just find that last inch in there somewhere!!)

51fordf2
07-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Frank - thats a GREAT mega tree! Looks like it will be more than up to the job, of support.

I've started looking for one of those masts, but I would imagine they will be few and far between, at least, "reasonable".

R

kostyun
07-21-2009, 12:39 PM
One thing I forgot to say on this thread...... I found this one for $300

kostyun
10-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Things are moving along quite well!!!

Corner Guy Anchor (240 lbs of concrete each) and the base cables and turnbuckles.
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiAzPSUqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

Center Pole Mount (400 lbs of concrete) and the mounting palte.
http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiAzPSsqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

I was going to put the guy wires closer to the tree, but, decided to move them out further away to significantly increase their strength.

There will be two guy wires per side (3 sides) and then one 3/8" safety guy at the back ttached to a fence post (fence post has a 4 x 4 x 10 steel post inside of it, sunk 4' into the ground -post is also concrete filled.) The post has already been backed into by a semi truck (no damage) so I think that will also be quite strong.

Frame pull up is TOMMOROW NIGHT!

RPM
10-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Maybe one of these http://www.westerntowers.com/articles/view/4 would do :rolleyes:

I installed quite a few 60 and 80 foot tilt down towers like these when I was doing radio installations for the railroads.

kostyun
10-24-2009, 01:13 AM
And I managed to get things together tonight!!

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiAzPCQqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

Aside from assistance moving the tower into position - I put the rest up by myself - electric winch had it from horizontal to vertical in less than 5 minutes!

ukewarrior
10-24-2009, 09:30 AM
O M G !! What are those dimensions again ??!!!??

WOW OH WOW

kostyun
10-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Tower is at ~22 ft - but - can go to aout 70 ft up

dirknerkle
10-24-2009, 09:51 AM
So are you stopping at 22 or going for the gold???

That is going to be some tree! I'd like to watch you drive into your driveway with all the guy wires... could be good humor!!!

Come to think of it, this won't be one of the "boat in the basement" projects where you put it up but then can't get the cars out of the garage?!?!? :lol:

kostyun
10-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Here's a new pic this AM - tower sections fully extended out to a height of 60'

I had originally thought it was a 50' tower + 12 ft mast, when its actually a 60' tower with a 12 ft mast! The mast is not extended in this photo.

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXiAzPCoqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

budude
10-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Holy Moly - - I'll be able to see that sucker from my house in CA! :p

kostyun
10-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Today I dropped the tree down, and added on the webcam, the red top light, and and 1/2 of the star.

Encountered a problem with attaching the star where the clamps were too small (so back to the auto parts store tommorow for larger muffler clamps (since muffler clamps can be tightented a LOT more than work clamps.) Webcam also needs to be adjusted down a bit - as its view is a tad further up than I want it to be.

Should able to to to get the star attached the rest of the way tommorow, and also the DMX controller that up on the star (Star is 4 channels.) Then the last thing to attach is the pulleys and cables for the light lifting - then the tree should stay vertical for the last time till after the holidays (I've droped it up and down about 4 times so far - its so easy to do with the electric winch.) I will also be finishing up painting the frame black.

kostyun
10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Its not the best image (camera needs some adjustments) but here's a webcam view!

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5041&stc=1&d=1256571284

Penfold
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I think Frank is going to finally succeed with being noticed from outer space!

kostyun
10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Attached the top guy wires and the light pulley's today (the bracket slides into the top holes on the tower.)

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXic6OioqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

Also attached up the star.

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXic6OSAqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

Next thing to do is pull out some lights and set the towers final height!

dirknerkle
10-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm pretty sure you put the tree in the wrong place. I think it's supposed to be over a couple feet to the west.

:lol: I'm truly impressed!!!

kostyun
10-29-2009, 12:16 AM
and.... one more!

http://gallery.kostyun.com/ssp_director/p.php?a=XF9VXic6OSQqQFtFPzw4JzQ6Jis9OzouNyo%2BMS4j KyU%2BIg%3D%3D

FeathersEverywhere
10-29-2009, 12:55 AM
I kind of wondering what the resale value of the house is now LOL

Angel

WireWrap
10-29-2009, 04:39 AM
That depends on whether or not the buyer is into DIYC or ham radio!! In either of those cases it just went way UP!!

kostyun
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Resale value? no biggie - the only thing that would be left after I move is a few small metal spots in the driveway - everything was put "flat" so that it could be fully removed and cleared up.

The guy wire anchors do stick up ~1 inch or so - so they would just be cut off. I am also planning on acid staining the driveway at some point - so - the cut off bolts could be painted to match and then sealed with the rest of the driveway.

Keebler
10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
frank, that looks just awesome!

i am totally impressed!

dnesci
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I don’t know if I’m more in awe or impressed. You get my vote for the most obsessed Mega tree builder I’ve heard of. Great Job Frank

FeathersEverywhere
10-30-2009, 12:51 AM
I donít know if Iím more in awe or impressed. You get my vote for the most obsessed Mega tree builder Iíve heard of. Great Job Frank

Yeah ditto!

Angel

dirknerkle
10-30-2009, 01:28 AM
I donít know if Iím more in awe or impressed. You get my vote for the most obsessed Mega tree builder Iíve heard of. Great Job Frank

Obsessed? Nah.... It's probably a natural development that happens to those who get into this hobby! :lol:

kostyun
11-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Webcam is ONLINE!

http://www.ahwatukeeholidays.com/live-webcam

Keebler
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
i see that you are using ustream to host the webcam....
i had lots of trouble with that site getting my stream to work. mostly with the router having to have VPS set up. configuration was a nightmare, and on top of that it never worked for me.

Keebler
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
what kind of web cams are you using?

D56VillageNut
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Frank,

Just curious. At what point do you have to submit paperwork to the FAA and does the Star qualify as the Obstruction Light. :)

Alan T

WireWrap
11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
200' HAAT (height above average terrain) unless really close to an airport. Then it's 1' per 100' from runway.

D56VillageNut
11-06-2009, 02:13 AM
200' HAAT (height above average terrain) unless really close to an airport. Then it's 1' per 100' from runway.

WireWrap,

Thanks for the posting. I was poking a little fun at Frank as I believe I read in here somewhere that he is involved in the aviation industry. I had just spent several hours going over some proposed antenna towers and a wind farm to see if they had any impact on any of my company's RNP procedures and had also just brushed up on the FAA Advisory Circular on Obstruction Lighting. As a bit of tongue in cheek I was going to offer to help Frank fill out his FAA OE/AAA Form 7460-1. I guess my work (I am an Aeronautical Data Specialist) bled over into my hobby (my bad :(). I'm glad to hear from someone else who knows all those little details as well.

I am impressed by his "structure". He sets the bar high enough that I can get away will smaller projects by saying "Honey, just look at what these other guys build!"

Have a great weekend!

WireWrap
11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
No problem -- my response was also "tongue-in-cheek" as I manage an 800 MHz radio system and also have to burrow through the same FCC & FAA incomprehensible instructions. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dirknerkle
11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
No problem -- my response was also "tongue-in-cheek" as I manage an 800 MHz radio system and also have to burrow through the same FCC & FAA incomprehensible instructions. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Incomprehensible instructions. If the government didn't make them that way, you would think the government's not doing it's job right.

kostyun
11-07-2009, 01:54 AM
one thing to note - I am ~8 miles from the airport - so I'm OK there - and due to flight patterns (and a close mountain) we realy don't have much air traffic.

My mega tree itself is as tall as some of the nearby eucyliptis trees, but, I'm shorter than the nearby antenna's also.

Keebler
11-07-2009, 09:42 AM
frank,
i think it is amazing and i encourage you to (in the words of Casey Cassem) "Keep reaching for the stars".

the antenna tower that i bought from my neighbor is only 20' but i can add to it as funds and time allow. this year, i'll stick to the 20'. money tight this year.

kwajtony
11-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Personally, I am just jealous. It gives me a goal to work towards for next years display. Lets see, tower, 12,000 Red, 12000 Green, 12000 Blue and 18000 White, why not all LED.

Seriously, awesome.