PDA

View Full Version : MPLAB IDE vs. MPASM

omzig
07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I have noticed from many threads that a lot of people are using the MPLAB IDE to compile their source files. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but there's a whole lot in the IDE that's not needed just to assemble an already complete source. Instead you can just use the standalone assembler that's included in the MPLAB package. The Windows version is MPASMWIN.exe.

It is much simpler. All you have to do is enter the source file, select which PIC you are using, and then hit "Assemble." You can leave all of the other options at their defaults. This generates the .HEX file that you can use with the application that came with your programmer to program the chip.

I only use the IDE when I'm actually writing my own PIC programs. It seems like overkill for just assembling an already written program.

rstehle
07-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I have noticed from many threads that a lot of people are using the MPLAB IDE to compile their source files. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but there's a whole lot in the IDE that's not needed just to assemble an already complete source. Instead you can just use the standalone assembler that's included in the MPLAB package. The Windows version is MPASMWIN.exe.

It is much simpler. All you have to do is enter the source file, select which PIC you are using, and then hit "Assemble." You can leave all of the other options at their defaults. This generates the .HEX file that you can use with the application that came with your programmer to program the chip.

I only use the IDE when I'm actually writing my own PIC programs. It seems like overkill for just assembling an already written program.

Oh No, Mr. Bill. Don't muddy the water......... LOL. Just learned how to do it with MPLAB............ :confused:

Wayne J
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM
COOL! I do believe this is the route I will use for now on. Thanks!

Wayne J
07-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Yep, this is my new way, LOVE IT! much faster. Thanks again!!!!!

RavingLunatic
07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
As with many things we do here, there are many ways to get the job done.

I prefer to use the MPLAB IDE since I can do everything from within it. No need to use 1 app to compile the hex file and then another app to program the PIC.

Also by setting up a project in the IDE that contains the file needed all I have to do is Click (Open project), Click (build), Click (program) and I'm done (more or less).

Wayne J
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
This is true RL.
I mainly use the flash programmer software after I get a .hex file anyways, so this really suits the way I do things anyways, so that's the grab for me. ;)