PDA

View Full Version : Channel / Effect Mapping

ces4tech
12-01-2014, 12:13 AM
I have just spent the last week really diving into vixen 3. I keep looking for a way to trigger an effect. I was able to import other users vixen 2 files into 3 by creating just a numbered element array of say 400 depending on how many channels it had.. Now after importing I want to take say the beat channel element and tie it to the input of a nutcracker effect or any other effect to that matter.. so if I could tie one channel of the import to trigger an effect on my elements..
Also looking for external trigger inputs.. can e1.31 communicate both directions? or received dmx commands to control an effect..

Also was looking for a simple color organ to help with timings.. maybe the mark manager could be improved a little... mark manager needs more inputs than just a single tapper.. say a midi keyboard.. Just my thoughts... I am crunching to get my first basic show together.. I have a simple mega tree 8 x 12.. 4 x 5 starburst.. and 8 channel sequencer.. all controllers are arduinos...

jchuchla
12-01-2014, 01:10 AM
You're taking an approach that vixen 3 is not intended to do.
In vixen 3 timing references come from marks, not effects. The mark concept didn't exist in vixen 2 so a lot of people used a channel as a beat track. That's not how V3 works.
V3 does not currently respond to external data. The engine can definately handle this, but it hasn't been implemented yet. In fact the execution engine in V3 is specifically designed to take input from several different kinds of control contexts, the timed sequence editor is one of these. The scheduler is another. But those are the only methods currently developed.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ces4tech
12-01-2014, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the overview.. I am new the to VIXEN.. but I did learn that you can use element grouping.. so if I imported a premade sequence I can move the element under the imported sequence and it inherits its effects.. that was cool... As far as timing should you align your light pulse right on the beat mark or should you delay it for the time it takes the music to get to your ears?

jchuchla
12-01-2014, 11:04 AM
That's a question that's sure to inspire a bigger argument. The answer lies somewhere in how long it takes the music to get to your ears. Most people use an fm radio transmitter to get the music directly to the car radio of the viewers. This puts the sound source about 3' or less from the viewers ears. And with that short of a distance, the time involved is not even perceivable. It's about the same distance as your computer speakers to your ears. So what you're seeing/hearing when you're sequencing is the same as what your viewers will experience during playback.
If you're using loudspeakers in your yard, it's a different story. In this case the delay will be more obvious because the distance is much greater. There's calculators out there on the Internet to convert from feet to milliseconds of delay. In these cases your lights need to be delayed from the audio. The easiest way to deal with this is to first complete the sequence normally and then calculate the delay. Then select all and move it forward by the delay value you calculated.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk