PDA

View Full Version : Wondering...network switch gear controlling ssr

neophaetr
06-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Is it possible to use a network multiport hub to control the ssrs for my electric christmas light display and would vixen be able to manage the addressing?

This is just a thought! I looked i think just about everywhere for a olsen board that is pre-assembled and for sale; and, i could not find one.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

daviddth
06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
No because the SSR's are sending pure 0V and 5V signals to turn on an LED inside the optocoupler. There is no network data at all.

jeffathompson
06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Is it possible to use a network multiport hub to control the ssrs for my electric christmas light display and would vixen be able to manage the addressing?

This is just a thought! I looked i think just about everywhere for a olsen board that is pre-assembled and for sale; and, i could not find one.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Somebody must have a Grinch board for sale. Or PM WJohn I bet he's got them. You can build one yourself. They are pretty simple and cost about $30 all done.

Macrosill
06-30-2008, 07:51 AM
A group buy for the 595 just closed a few days ago. I wil have extras if you want one, PCB only.

neophaetr
07-01-2008, 11:00 AM
im not very good at soldering...is it preassembled? to be very honest...im so far behind the power curve that by the time i got the pcb soldered together, it will be next christmas. that's being honest. I am interested in the boards; plz keep me posted on your surplus if u have any.
thanks, Jason

daviddth
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
In all honesty, the boards can literally be soldered by an 8yo. My 8yo daughter helped solder the grinch and a few SSR's here, and I'll probably let her build a ren 16 by herself.

Soldering is not hard - there is plenty of help here as well as on the internet and also places like youtube where you can see how to do it as well. The hardest part is getting the confidence to start, s a bit of stripboard and some cheap resistors can give you the practice you need for only a couple of dollars in total.

deplanche
07-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Jason - If you keep an eye on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread of this and other similiar sites, you will find people from time to time who are selling off their old controllers for a variety of reasons (changing family circumstances, upgrading, can't afford gas for their cars). You may want to post in that area of the forums if you are looking for something specific like that.

Also, my understanding is that it is against the rules of this forum for an individual to be selling assembled controllers as part of a coop/group buy, so there won't be people selling these on a regular basis... just those who are moving away from something they have used in the past. But I am not an admin, so I will defer to Macrosill (Brian) for the official ruling on that.

jeffathompson
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
im not very good at soldering...is it preassembled? to be very honest...im so far behind the power curve that by the time i got the pcb soldered together, it will be next christmas. that's being honest. I am interested in the boards; plz keep me posted on your surplus if u have any.
thanks, Jason

Just keep reading and watching. I had not soldered a circut board before and started reading this forum in December. I was going to try and get somebody to build me one. While waiting for something to show up, I decided to TRY and etch a SSR board and drill it and solder it. I never thought it would work. EVER. And I got it put together and it didn't. So I uploaded pictures and cleaned it up good and did all the stuff the more experienced guys told me to. And with a little fixing, it works.

I now have five Grinch's (they are the easiest, you can build one in an evening) two Renards with 5 more on the way, 90 SSR's A couple of unique little boards to run some ULN chips that a couple guys running the same PCI DIO boards as me showed me how to do. This is since I joined on Dec 17 of 2007. Don't sell yourself short. There is plenty of time.

neophaetr
07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I'll try to solder the boards when i get them. last time i tried it was with an electronic cricket noise maker...let's just say that cricket never made a chirp.
All hope is not lost, i shall give the ole college boy try again. Are those boards pre-etched or am i gonna have to do that too?
thanks,
Jason

deplanche
07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
They are printed circuit boards, no etching is needed.

I had never soldering anything besides some stained glass and copper pipe before finding this site. The people hear are great resources to make it easy for you, and in the rare occasions they don't know something themselves, they know someone who does.

Wayne J
07-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure what the pcb looked like in the kit you bought, most are just bare copper traces and they have usually oxidized by the time you get them, making them very difficult to solder. The pcb's we get here are all tin coated and this makes soldering a breeze. I think you will find it will be easier than you expect. It is a good idea to do as suggested above, watch the videos, and do some practice.

mrpackethead
07-03-2008, 04:00 AM
You know the concept of using ethernet for hooking everything together is not that silly. You'd give each contoller an Ip address etc.. The price of ethernet controllers for such thigns as pics and propellors is getting lower daily. The devices could talk back as well, if you wanted.

Its really a question of how far you want to go.

deplanche
07-03-2008, 07:13 AM
You know the concept of using ethernet for hooking everything together is not that silly. You'd give each contoller an Ip address etc.. The price of ethernet controllers for such thigns as pics and propellors is getting lower daily. The devices could talk back as well, if you wanted.

Its really a question of how far you want to go.

Especially when you consider that parallel and serial ports are becoming a thing of the past.