PDA

View Full Version : Voltage on different boards that are available here

Warlock
07-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Has anyone tried the smallest voltage output to trigger a dimming board.I understand a few people have done tests with leds..What I really want to know is what is the smallest amount of voltage this different designs can handle..For example puffs of smoke going up a chimney..Starts off with like 10 leds and as the puffs get bigger taht number of leds increases.Only reason why I want a dimming and on and off board for this purpose is cause I want to be able to ramp them up to show the different stages during an interlude (which is simply a pause between shows).It gives people lots of time to snap pics etc...So if anyone can post this info with regards to the different dimming and flashing boards we have available ehre it would be interesting to see what makes one design different in that respect to another..
Thanks guys hope this explains the data I wish to have and why.If not please ask and I'll explain it further with more examples of why I need this info.
Thanks again.
Wizard

P. Short
07-30-2007, 11:52 PM
What voltage are you looking for? AC or DC?

For setups that use AC (implemented using the usual opto/triac combination) voltages below perhaps 12VAC won't work too well, because sum of the triac G-MT1 and the opto MT1-Mt2 voltages starts to become a significant fraction of the 12VAC.

For DC setups, you can modify the SSR to work with DC (the changes described initially by Firegod) and use any of the dimmer controllers (Renard or the Firegod system). When/if the Ren-C becomes available, you can drive LEDs from the Grinch controller (5V) or directly from the ULN2803 on the 595 coop controllers (5V or below), or use the modified SSRs described above. In all of these DC schemes you will need to use series resistors to set the LED current.

--

Phil

Warlock
07-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Hey Phil thanks for the reply..If you look at the link I posted earlier and I'll also try and post an article from a lighting mag I get every 2 months it might make it clearier of why I'm asking...Seems you can run a huge set up of leds off 12 or 24 volt dc transformers some how.I have no idea how this works but it does as a company here in canada has been doing it for the last 25 years or so they claim anyway.So I was thiking if the boards offered here can do the same thing as what these guys are doing then we might really be onto something.Anyways I'll post the aticle tomorrow unless you want a private copy..
Thanks Phil
Wizard

P.S. I know rope light is easy to modify but I've never tried playing with leds yet..Are they just as easy to modify the lengths and if not what considerations do you have to use or for the modified leds would you still need the terminators or something like them ???or could it be attached right to the board for that to work ???