PDA

View Full Version : Changing cord color

MrChristmas2000
06-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Has anybody ever tried to change the color of Orange extension cords without having to paint them?

I was wondering if the plastic could be dyed in some way?

omzig
06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
I have thought about this too because I have about a half of a mile of bulk orange cord. I was thinking about using wire loom to conceal it in visible areas. You can get wire loom fairly cheap. I have seen it at surplus stores and even on Ebay.

MrChristmas2000
06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I have thought about this too because I have about a half of a mile of bulk orange cord. I was thinking about using wire loom to conceal it in visible areas. You can get wire loom fairly cheap. I have seen it at surplus stores and even on Ebay.

What is wire loom? I've never seen or heard of it. Is it water resistant? Do you have a link to a supplier or a picture of it?

I remember reading something about being able to dye this type of cable but I just didn't think much of it at that time. I usually mark unusual things but missed that one.:(

jeffathompson
06-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Has anybody ever tried to change the color of Orange extension cords without having to paint them?

I was wondering if the plastic could be dyed in some way?

try this thread

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3390&highlight=painting+cords

omzig
06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
What is wire loom? I've never seen or heard of it. Is it water resistant? Do you have a link to a supplier or a picture of it?
I'm sure you've seen the stuff. It's used on cars a lot. There's actually a few different types, but the most common is also called convoluted tubing. Picture attached. Here is a listing on Ebay: Wire Loom (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wire-loom-split-convoluted-tubing-conduit-3-8-x-100_W0QQitemZ360063533239QQihZ023QQcategoryZ50552Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

The split version is of course not waterproof, but whay does it matter if the orange extension cords are? You can get loom that is not split, which I guess if you could seal the ends would be waterproof.

MrChristmas2000
06-27-2008, 07:42 AM
I am going to test the dying process and see where it goes May take a few days though.

deplanche
06-27-2008, 10:37 PM
An idea I was tossing around was running some of my old extension chords thru some old garden hose i have. The hose is kinked and leaks so bad I had been thinking of tossing it. But holding onto it for now it see if it will work to hide some orange cord.

Macrosill
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
From experience I can tell you I would not spend time on coloring my orange, white, blue, green, gray, brown, black or yellow extension cords. I can not see any of the cords at night, with the lights on or off.

MrChristmas2000
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
From experience I can tell you I would not spend time on coloring my orange, white, blue, green, gray, brown, black or yellow extension cords. I can not see any of the cords at night, with the lights on or off.

It's not the night that causes complaints it's seeing all the orange cords running through the flower bed during the day. The significant other informed me that they were ugly. I am still going to test the Rit dye method.

TL

bbayliss
08-11-2008, 10:34 PM
To all:
Sorry I did not see this thread sooner. I die all of my Orange extension cords using Rit Die. You need a hot plate, a metal washing tub, morton salt and Rit die. You will need a lot of Die, your cords will start out black but the more you die, they will start to turn brown which is fine with me but you may want to keep adding die to keep them black.

Matt
08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
To all:
Sorry I did not see this thread sooner. I die all of my Orange extension cords using Rit Die. You need a hot plate, a metal washing tub, morton salt and Rit die. You will need a lot of Die, your cords will start out black but the more you die, they will start to turn brown which is fine with me but you may want to keep adding die to keep them black.

Do you just throw the entire cord in the tub? Does it create any problems if the dye and water gets into the plug assemblies?

-Matt

bbayliss
08-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I usually leave the cord ends hanging out and paint them, If the get in the tub the salt from the die mix will oxidize the cord ends.
Brian