PDA

View Full Version : Mini trees - using pixel mounting strips

Strother85
11-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Here is one of my additions for the year, 5 - 40" tall pixel mini trees with 10 rows of 10 -5v pixels attached to pixel mounting strips from James recent group buy. The pixels have 4" spacing I used 5/8" plywood that I attached 3/4" black pipe floor mounting flange to the top and the bottom with a 3/4" black pipe threaded on both ends. The topper is a 5" diameter and the bottom is a 18" diameter. I coated with flat black exterior enamel. I do not have stars for this year but i did mount a floor flange on the top that I can add the star next year. The pixel mounting strips are attached to the topper and the bottom plate with nothing more than black zip strips. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the center of the bottom plate that is in line with the threaded 3/4" hole of the floor mount flange that is on the top of the bottom plate. I will take 36" pieces of 5/8" rebar and drive 18" in the ground and then 18" will come up through the hole in the bottom plate up into the vertical pipe. That will prevent it from tipping over.

The idea was to create a compact tree for storage, instead of making a tree that was compact, I decided to make one that was "compact-able". The pixel mounting strips can be cut loose from top plate and the bottom plate and then the top and bottom plates can be spun off of the pipe. The strips from all five trees will fit into a rubbermaid tub and the the top/bottom plates will fit in another. Then the pipes on a shelf until next year. My only expense to re-assemble will be 20 zip strips from harbor freight.

Note: I left the bottom zip ties with their "tails" intact for now just in case I need to tighten the strips, I envision them loosening a bit initially.

Livermore-Dad
11-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Here is one of my additions for the year, 5 - 40" tall pixel mini trees with 10 rows of 10 -5v pixels attached to pixel mounting strips from James recent group buy. The pixels have 4" spacing I used 5/8" plywood that I attached 3/4" black pipe floor mounting flange to the top and the bottom with a 3/4" black pipe threaded on both ends. The topper is a 5" diameter and the bottom is a 18" diameter. I coated with flat black exterior enamel. I do not have stars for this year but i did mount a floor flange on the top that I can add the star next year. The pixel mounting strips are attached to the topper and the bottom plate with nothing more than black zip strips. The idea was to create a compact tree for storage, instead of making a tree that was compact, I decided to make one that was "compact-able". The pixel mounting strips can be cut loose from top plate and the bottom plate and then the top and bottom plates can be spun off of the pipe. The strips from all five trees will fit into a rubbermaid tub and the the top/bottom plates will fit in another. Then the pipes on a shelf until next year. My only expense to re-assemble will be 20 zip strips from harbor freight.

Yep those will play, nicely done

Tory

sck1ng
11-16-2014, 08:29 PM
looks great :)

kychristmas
11-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Very Nice! I was liking the Coro ones that James produced, but I like these better. I have issues with wind so I like this design better. Don't know what the wind is like in your area, but I would drill a couple holes in the base for gutter nails or tent stakes.

Strother85
11-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Very Nice! I was liking the Coro ones that James produced, but I like these better. I have issues with wind so I like this design better. Don't know what the wind is like in your area, but I would drill a couple holes in the base for gutter nails or tent stakes.

Thanks! It does get windy here at times. I actually did not see the coro ones that James is producing until after I made these but with the Michigan winter/wind I am hesitant to use coro for many things. Once I get these out in the yard I can always add the tent stakes if needed, that is one good thing about using plywood, adaptability on the fly! :lol:. The 5/8" rebar fits so snugly inside of the 3/4" pipe that I'm not sure it will be a problem, but we will see. I will post some pics once these are set up.

bert-nc
11-17-2014, 10:37 AM
I like the looks of these mini trees

I see a project for next year!!!

Bert-nc

4586shaggy
11-17-2014, 11:13 AM
can we get a shot of them in action or are u gonna make us wait :-p

DrNeutron
11-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Shaggy You are soo impatient.... I'll bet you still get up at 5AM on Christmas day to open presents...
:lol:

kychristmas
11-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks! It does get windy here at times. I actually did not see the coro ones that James is producing until after I made these but with the Michigan winter/wind I am hesitant to use coro for many things. Once I get these out in the yard I can always add the tent stakes if needed, that is one good thing about using plywood, adaptability on the fly! :lol:. The 5/8" rebar fits so snugly inside of the 3/4" pipe that I'm not sure it will be a problem, but we will see. I will post some pics once these are set up.

This is better than what I suggested anyway. I would go ahead and drill the holes now.

Strother85
11-17-2014, 11:31 AM
This is better than what I suggested anyway. I would go ahead and drill the holes now.

I did before painting. The hole is in-line with the hole in the floor mount flange on the bottom plate. So this allows the rebar to go from ground-through plywood-through floor mount flange-18" into pipe. It fits so snugly that I am 99% positive that the rebar with be frozen to the inside of the pipe when I try and bring these in come January lol

Strother85
11-17-2014, 11:34 AM

finishing up work on the pixel star mega tree topper today. I'm hoping to have the Mega tree with topper and 5 mini trees setup in the next few days. Probably won't post video until then. too much to do!!! :ohno:

4586shaggy
11-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Shaggy You are soo impatient.... I'll bet you still get up at 5AM on Christmas day to open presents...
:lol:
How'd you know!

Dan@
11-18-2014, 11:09 PM
I like these. Will have to make me some for next year.

randyr505
11-26-2014, 12:57 PM
I am working on my idea of strips inside of pex.

Mini-Pixel-Trees-with-PVC-Pex-Idea (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?35673-Mini-Pixel-Trees-with-PVC-Pex-Idea)