PDA

View Full Version : Grinch & SSROZ Setup

piesrule58
06-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Hi All

Here is my Grinch & SSROZ setup. I have 3 of these that will be mounted one above the other on my Garage wall. All the wiring from the light sets will come in through the roof and be connected to the appropriate channel numbers. I have 2 large 24v transformers and 1 x 110v transformer that will sit on a shelf nearby to make the wiring as short as possible.
A big thankyou to my son-inlaw Chris for getting the backing boards made up for me. I would also like to thank all the good people on this forum for helping me to get this far.
Next job is sorting out my light sets, making mini trees, stars, arches and mega tree. I am so glad I started doing this in January. Hopefully I will be ready to go by last week of November.

Cheers, Terry

toodle_pipsky
06-23-2008, 06:34 AM
I love it! Nice work!

Macrosill
06-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Nice work! It looks great.

deplanche
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I hope mine looks half as neat at that when I am done.

I do have a brain picking question on your set up. You have all of the SSRs mounted in close proximity to the grinch, and mentioned that all the lights will come thru the roof to the transformers you have there. Just wondering why you choose to go with the grinch/SSRs for that, rather than a Ren type layout? I am also using grinch and SSRs, but now I am rethinking my configuration for the SSRs based on your photos.

wbuehler
06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Looks Great

Bill

piesrule58
06-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I hope mine looks half as neat at that when I am done.

I do have a brain picking question on your set up. You have all of the SSRs mounted in close proximity to the grinch, and mentioned that all the lights will come thru the roof to the transformers you have there. Just wondering why you choose to go with the grinch/SSRs for that, rather than a Ren type layout? I am also using grinch and SSRs, but now I am rethinking my configuration for the SSRs based on your photos.

Thankyou all for your kind comments.

Hi Deplanche,
This is my first year doing blinky flashy so I have tried to keep it as simple as possible (my electrical and computer skills are very limited). Here in Oz most of the lights I have are 24v and they come with very long leads (approx 10mtrs) so you can keep the transformers inside out of the weather. This means that I don't need to use extension chords. I just set up the lights outside, run all the leads into the garage through the roof and connect them to the SSR's and transformers.
I would love to have dimming capability, but I have enough to keep me busy for this year so that will have to wait till 2009.
I hope that answers your questions ok. If you need more info just let me know.

Cheers, Terry

Wayne J
06-23-2008, 07:03 PM
WOW!!! That has to be the cleanest, neatest setup I have ever seen! Excellent work!

daviddth
06-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I would love to have dimming capability, but I have enough to keep me busy for this year so that will have to wait till 2009.

A ren-C and simple ZC circuit will add dimming to that setup as is. The REN-C is about 2 by 3 inches, really neat, and the ZC cct, well you can go the REN-T board, or in a large jiffy box hidden behind the box you can easily fit the gear for 3 seperate ZC setups (thats 6 grinches worth!)

Each ren-c supplies dimming to 1 grinch/595 board & they work really well - I have 4 of them here :)

I will probably go the ren64 route in future, maybe even the ren 24, but for now adding dimming to the grinch/595 has never been easier...

deplanche
06-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the thinking. I also am new and went with the grinch for simplicity. Just never thought to put all of the SSRs in a neat setup like you did. Very nice work!!

piesrule58
06-24-2008, 05:39 AM
A ren-C and simple ZC circuit will add dimming to that setup as is. The REN-C is about 2 by 3 inches, really neat, and the ZC cct, well you can go the REN-T board, or in a large jiffy box hidden behind the box you can easily fit the gear for 3 seperate ZC setups (thats 6 grinches worth!)

Each ren-c supplies dimming to 1 grinch/595 board & they work really well - I have 4 of them here :)

I will probably go the ren64 route in future, maybe even the ren 24, but for now adding dimming to the grinch/595 has never been easier...

Thanks for the info David. I will go with dimming next year. It has been a major learning curve for me to get this far and I am afraid that I am just not confident enough to tackle it this year. I would love to attend a Mini here in Oz so I can learn from you more experienced guys and girls. I take things in a lot easier when I can see, touch and ask lots of dumb questions. I really hope we can get something happening in Melbourne or anywhere else for that matter. I am keen to go anywhere.

Cheers, Terry