PDA

View Full Version : Generic UDP??

themindfactory
11-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Hope this is the right area.....

I am creating a new piece of hardware for Vixen users and really need a "Generic UDP" just like "Generic Serial", does this exist? Can not find!

Richard.

pmscientist
11-08-2014, 04:22 PM
At first blush, I'd say E1.31 is probably your best bet. It has minimal overhead beyond the bytes containing the actual data and there's plenty of open code for all sorts of platforms. You could certainly write a vixen plugin that just sends a byte stream via UDP, although it's almost certainly less work to use existing protocols.

Maybe you could go into a bit more detail on what you're thinking.

kingofkya
11-08-2014, 05:50 PM
At first blush, I'd say E1.31 is probably your best bet. It has minimal overhead beyond the bytes containing the actual data and there's plenty of open code for all sorts of platforms. You could certainly write a vixen plugin that just sends a byte stream via UDP, although it's almost certainly less work to use existing protocols.

Maybe you could go into a bit more detail on what you're thinking.

Yeah i have to agree it a standard and it works no need to reinvent the well.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=E1.31_(Streaming-ACN)_Protocol
Even has code examples at the bottom of the page.

themindfactory
11-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah i have to agree it a standard and it works no need to reinvent the well.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=E1.31_(Streaming-ACN)_Protocol
Even has code examples at the bottom of the page.

Re-invent, nope....

I am sure other controller use the serial port, yet there is a Generic Serial :-)

I just want data dumped to me over UDP and not serial.... no protocol, no universes, no BS :-)

Thanks!
Richard.

jchuchla
11-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Well. Despite the name, generic serial is itself a protocol. It may be a flexible protocol, but it's a semi-standard protocol here on DIYC.
I doubt you're going to get anyone to just jump at the chance to spend several hours to write a module to do this for you. I think what the other posters here are saying is that we already have something that works very well and is already done. If you're looking to solve a specific problem, you would be better served by identifying the problem and proposing a fully thought out solution.
As a side note, you might investigate the BlinkyLinky output controller. It's a custom ethernet protocol written by one of the devs for his own use. I've never heard of anyone besides him using it so I couldn't tell you much about it.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themindfactory
11-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the info.

I am a programmer so I will look at maybe a new driver, I will also check out blinkylinky and see if it suites the hardware I am trying to use.

Again thanks for the prompt replies.

Richard.

Gorak
02-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Send me a PM if you get a module. Me and many others would love a generic UDP module, definitely wanted. Need to simply stream bytes to an IP with the option of a custom header and/or footer. In the past I use generic serial and then software like HW Virtual (http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html) to create a fake com port to broadcast over TCP if you can use that instead of UDP. It works and it's free for 1 IP I believe. There are many others out there. Installation and setup takes 60 seconds and all you need is a for-loop in your code to grab the bytes. Easier than wasting time learning E1.31 or Renard or whatever else is out there for simple projects.