PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have simple construction ideas for small mega tree?

Jbrew1974
11-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Does anyone have a simple design that can be put together pretty quickly?

scootchu
11-06-2014, 08:19 PM
How small? Are you going to use pixels?

tucsonlights
11-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Use upside down tomato cages formed into a cone/tree and run 6 or 8 pixel strips vertically to make a mini mega tree.

Jbrew1974
11-06-2014, 08:27 PM
I have 10 minis I used tomato cages for, I am looking to go 10' maybe? No pixels or fancy lights this yr, but next yr def.

scootchu
11-06-2014, 08:52 PM
I have a wireframe star on my chimney. I have 8 strings of LED's attached to a point under the star and then spread equally at the bottom with cup hooks and a a black 2x4. The star is held up by 1/2" conduit. So with 10 strings your pole can be fairly lightweight.

mwestling
11-07-2014, 12:47 AM
I used 2x2's and created the base with 8 22 inch (on the long side) pieces cut at 45 degree angles essentially creating an octagon. Then there is one piece that goes across the center of the octagon and another that goes across 1/2 of the octagon. From there I have an 8' piece that goes up from that junction in the center for the tree height. From that piece, there are two support pieces that go from the up board to the base boards in the center.

Once the tree frame is complete, I then used two 4 inch wood screws on the top of the up board screwed in at an angle to drape the wires over. On the base, parallel to the ground, I have 1.5 inch wood screws screwed in partially for the light strings.

When stringing up the lights, I start with the plug end and twist the wire around the screw on the base first just a couple of times. (You can zip tie if you want) I then run the string up and over the top of the up board, looping over one of the screws up top and go back down to the screw where I started. Once I get to the screw on the bottom, I wrap the wire around the screw a couple of times to keep it there. (again, you can zip tie).

Between the lead from the plug to the first light, and the pig tail coming off of the REN24SS, I can hook up all of the lights to one controller.

Because I am cheap, and only build elements using lights I get when I clear out Home Depot the day after Christmas, my two mega trees have alternating clear and multi-color strands. It actually provides a really pleasing effect.

My mega-trees are still in storage and won't come out until near thanksgiving, but if you need I can take pics in about a week or so of the disassembled components. (I really should get some stock shots for times like this)

When you break this down, simply remove the up board, the two boards inside of the octagon, and split the octagon in half. Tape all of the pieces together except the up board and it all stores real well on a shelf in my storage unit.

NOTE: I also label all junction points with a sharpie A-A, B-B, C-C, etc. and label the parts for each tree (Tree 1 = 1, Tree 2 = 2, etc.) so that all of the parts match up later.

Jbrew1974
11-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I used 2x2's and created the base with 8 22 inch (on the long side) pieces cut at 45 degree angles essentially creating an octagon. Then there is one piece that goes across the center of the octagon and another that goes across 1/2 of the octagon. From there I have an 8' piece that goes up from that junction in the center for the tree height. From that piece, there are two support pieces that go from the up board to the base boards in the center.

Once the tree frame is complete, I then used two 4 inch wood screws on the top of the up board screwed in at an angle to drape the wires over. On the base, parallel to the ground, I have 1.5 inch wood screws screwed in partially for the light strings.

When stringing up the lights, I start with the plug end and twist the wire around the screw on the base first just a couple of times. (You can zip tie if you want) I then run the string up and over the top of the up board, looping over one of the screws up top and go back down to the screw where I started. Once I get to the screw on the bottom, I wrap the wire around the screw a couple of times to keep it there. (again, you can zip tie).

Between the lead from the plug to the first light, and the pig tail coming off of the REN24SS, I can hook up all of the lights to one controller.

Because I am cheap, and only build elements using lights I get when I clear out Home Depot the day after Christmas, my two mega trees have alternating clear and multi-color strands. It actually provides a really pleasing effect.

My mega-trees are still in storage and won't come out until near thanksgiving, but if you need I can take pics in about a week or so of the disassembled components. (I really should get some stock shots for times like this)

When you break this down, simply remove the up board, the two boards inside of the octagon, and split the octagon in half. Tape all of the pieces together except the up board and it all stores real well on a shelf in my storage unit.

NOTE: I also label all junction points with a sharpie A-A, B-B, C-C, etc. and label the parts for each tree (Tree 1 = 1, Tree 2 = 2, etc.) so that all of the parts match up later.

Sounds like the route I want to go this year, have pics?

dmcole
11-07-2014, 11:32 PM
FWIW, I built one of these (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?21987-Freestanding-PVC-quot-MIDI-quot-Tree) and really liked this one (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?21987-Freestanding-PVC-quot-MIDI-quot-Tree). They have been called "midi-trees" (halfway between "mega" and "mini."

\dmc

Jbrew1974
11-07-2014, 11:38 PM
FWIW, I built one of these (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?21987-Freestanding-PVC-quot-MIDI-quot-Tree) and really liked this one (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?21987-Freestanding-PVC-quot-MIDI-quot-Tree). They have been called "midi-trees" (halfway between "mega" and "mini."

\dmc
I like that also, seems do-able.

celtman123
11-08-2014, 11:34 PM
I found this idea for a MT on instructables.com: http://www.instructables.com/id/Christmas-Mega-Tree

I'm using the basic concept for building the MT but using pixels and the pixel mounting strips sold by James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbrew1974
11-09-2014, 10:53 AM
I found this idea for a MT on instructables.com: http://www.instructables.com/id/Christmas-Mega-Tree

I'm using the basic concept for building the MT but using pixels and the pixel mounting strips sold

The 24" stakes can be a PITA, but I think I will use this this year, thanks for the info.

theultimate
11-10-2014, 12:59 AM
I used a T Post and slid a 1.5" x 10' pvc pipe over it. Pretty easy and sturdy

mwestling
11-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Hopefully I will be digging them out soon. I'll take some pics. Maybe next weekend. Only took me about 2 hours to build two and string them.

atairu
11-10-2014, 02:42 AM
Check out this video on how to make Mega tree with PVC. It will not be a 10 minute job, but it won't be 10 hour either. I finished mine in about 8 hours including painting and drying time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hp-VYGM4g

starzen
11-10-2014, 09:10 AM
just built a simple pixel tree myself about 10ft

built a modified portable hole and used a black water pipe. Tree topper with 24 hooks and only used 16 for 270 degrees

strings are made of plastic strapping

took a few hours to make the base and a day to do the strings. about a half day to set it up

mwestling
11-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Ok, I am finally getting around to digging everything out and setting up. Here are photos of the Mega Tree I built. Stores nicely, sets up quickly, and works great. I am only doing 180* of lights, but it will work for 360* as well. On mine, I alternated clear LED with multi-color strands and it gives it a very good effect. 2595325954259552595625957
First 5 images attached.

mwestling
11-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Here are the next 5 images...2595825959259602596125962

celtman123
11-29-2014, 05:58 AM
@theultimate, the T Post idea worked better for me, thanks for the idea. Only difference is that I'm using 1.25" PVC, a male adapter, a galvanized floor flange and a round piece of wood for the top. 8.5ft of 1/2" PEX for the bottom

corytcline
11-29-2014, 02:45 PM
I use a 10' section of 2" pvc with a hook screwed into the top. I drive three to four 4'sections of rebar into the ground and slip the pvc over the top. I use a section of trampoline frame for the base, usually 2 sections this year just went with one. For bracing I use wood pics to follow.
And here are results
https://vimeo.com/113161122
Very quick to setup and take down has withstood 40+ mph winds one more pic of how I anchor the bottom base has been working great for two years now.
Just needed on in the middle this year but better to have the anchor at each end of the base.