PDA

View Full Version : Watermaster GFCI hookup?

Penfold
06-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Yesterday I noticed that I somehow bypassed the GFCI when wiring up my Renard 24 in the Watermaster enclosure. There are four fast screw down pair holes in the back of the GFCI outlet with a sticker on the top two saying something about use this only if you have maxed out the bottom two.

My wiring is the following (back view of the GFCI):

| |
| |
| O O | <-- Going to my Renard 24
| O O | <-- Going to the wall outlet

How do I wire this correctly to use the GFCI, because apparently this configuration is bypassing the breaker in the outlet as I tried pushing the reset button and I didn't get anything.

WWNF911
06-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Instructions for wiring 110VAC that came with my Watermaster say:

STEP 3: Attach conduit fitting to holes in bottom of box. Draw 110 VAC line into box through conduit hole.

STEP 4: Connect 110 inlet to receptacle.

* To use terminal screws: connect hot line (black) wire to brass colored screw. Wrap each stripped wire 3/4 turn clockwise under heads of screws without overlapping and tighten securely.

* To use E-Z Wire holes: strip wires to length of strip guage on back of outlet. Push neutral (white) wire fully into E-Z Wire hole marked WHITE and black (hot) wire into E-Z Wire hole on opposite side and tighten the screws secuely.

* This device must be properly grounded for shock protection. Connect green or bare grounding wire to green colored terminal screw.

WWNF911
06-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Just an added note.

Although I can't find my instructions for the GFCI outlet I installed last summer, I do remember not having to remove the tape you describe. I think the reason is that you did not have to do so unless you are going to be daisy chaining GFCI outlets on the same circuit.

I hope these tidbits help get that little test button to function :)

n1ist
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Power should come in to the line terminals. The load terminals (the ones covered by the yellow tape) should go to the Ren24.

Penfold
06-20-2008, 12:53 PM
To clarify with what N1ist said, I am supposed to draw the live feed in to the bottom terminals and the wires that I will be using for the Renard 24 is going to go through the top where the sticker is? (I haven't removed the sticker yet):confused:

kmiller
06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
If this is just a standard GFCI receptacle (the kind you would find on your bathroom wall), then the incoming power should tie to the line side of the receptacle. The screws under the yellow tape and the outlets would be protected by the outlets GFI differential scheme. The yellow tape is there to prevent you from hooking the incoming power on the load side of the GFCI, which would give you no protection. They are designed this was so that you can wire a house with one GFI outlet protecting several ‘daisy chained’ receptacles down-stream of the outlet. If you did not want down stream outlets protected by the GFI, you would double land the wires on the line side. All of the ones I have used have two holes in the back of the receptacle for each screw that the wires go in, and the screw tightens down on the wire that is inserted in the hole.
Hope this helps.

WWNF911
06-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Power should come in to the line terminals. The load terminals (the ones covered by the yellow tape) should go to the Ren24.

Just an added note.

Although I can't find my instructions for the GFCI outlet I installed last summer, I do remember not having to remove the tape you describe. I think the reason is that you did not have to do so unless you are going to be daisy chaining GFCI outlets on the same circuit.

I hope these tidbits help get that little test button to function :)

Yes it would appear, given your intended use we are both correct unless you are going to run power to REN24 from the GFCI outlet plug. (in that case you can leave the tape) Here's a link I hope helps

http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht067.html

Penfold
06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks very much for the information. This helped me out greatly :D.

Mike