PDA

View Full Version : Vixen 3 LOR Module

nedyah700
10-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Is there a DLL floating around that lets Vixen 3 control LOR. I tried the one that works with Vixen 2 and have not had any success.

jchuchla
10-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Control what about LOR? Do you mean to output to LOR controllers? Most people who are doing this are running their LOR controllers in dmx mode.

I haven't done this personally because I own no LOR hardware, but I thought LOR controllers auto detected DMX. You should be able to use the open DMX output controller in vixen to output DMX via your LOR dongle.

FYI: Software written for vixen 2.x cannot be used with vixen 3 as is. Some vixen 2 utilities and modules have been converted for use with V3 but many others can't be modified because they just don't fit the new concepts in V3.

FYI 2: there is an existing feature request ticket requesting an LOR output module. You can chime in on that ticket and express interest. That helps us to prioritize feature requests.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jchuchla
10-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Control what about LOR? Do you mean to output to LOR controllers? Most people who are doing this are running their LOR controllers in dmx mode.

I haven't done this personally because I own no LOR hardware, but I thought LOR controllers auto detected DMX. You should be able to use the open DMX output controller in vixen to output DMX via your LOR dongle.

FYI: Software written for vixen 2.x cannot be used with vixen 3 as is. Some vixen 2 utilities and modules have been converted for use with V3 but many others can't be modified because they just don't fit the new concepts in V3.

FYI 2: there is an existing feature request ticket requesting an LOR output module. You can chime in on that ticket and express interest. That helps us to prioritize feature requests.

--Jon Chuchla--

jchuchla
10-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Sorry for the double post. Seems like tapatalk is behaving oddly today

--Jon Chuchla--

tripplett
10-22-2014, 12:01 PM
This is a copy and paste of a post I put on another board. Seems to apply here. I didn't do anything special to the LOR controller, it just realized what was coming in was DMX and acted accordingly.
Joe

I tested running Vixen3 my 16 channel LOR CTB16PC today and it works beautifully. And it was so easy. I used the LOR USB to RS485 adapter but if you have one of those Enttec or Open DMX adapters it should be just as easy. I'll post some steps with screen shots below.

Setting up LOR controllers in Vixen3:

1) click on the Setup Display button in the Vixen Admin window.
2) on the left side under Element Setup pick Generic Numbered Group and click the +
3) for Group Name I used LOR01, Item Prefix I used LOR01, Item Count is the number of channels on that controller so I used 16. Press OK and you will get a LOR01 folder with LOR01-1 to LOR01-16 inside it. Later if you want to break these down you can. For instance if you know that LOR01-1 through LOR01-5 are on your gutters and 6 through 10 are bushes you could rename them to make sequencing easier. What i did I just did for testing purposes.
Repeat the above two steps for each LOR controller you have.

4) string colors can be set for the whole group or by individual. Mine are all white so highlight the top LOR01 folder, change the Configure drop down to Color Handling, and press the cog button beside it. Click the top radio button and change the default blue color to white. Click OK. I don't think there is a way to set up strings with multi color on the same string. Since this is just for the visualizer preview pick what works best for you. However if you have all blue lights on output 1 and green on 2 go ahead and set these up. Vixen will know this and when you do an alternating color effect for instance it will bounce between all your blues and greens no matter what physical output they are on.

This completes what you see in the Sequencer and you could actually stop here, set up the Preview visualizer, and complete all your sequences for the season - completing the actual mappings later even after you've physically set up your display. Note that you can nest items in this left Element Setup pane so for instance you can make one parent folder called LOR and then put three controllers under it as LOR01, LOR02, and LOR03. What this will do is show you that in the sequencer. This gives you incredible power to do a fade or wipe across the whole group just by applying an effect to the parent folder LOR so give it a little thought. This may not make sense right away but since you can move these items around later don't be too concerned with it.

5) to set up the controller outputs go over to the Controller Setup on the right side. Pick DMX Open (or Pro if you have one) and press +. Name it what you want - I called mine LOR USB-RS485. Enter the total number of outputs on all the controllers - 16 for me as i just set up one. Press OK.

6) to map the controller to your elements first highlight the top level LOR01 folder under Element Setup, then highlight the LOR USB-RS485 under Controller Setup. In the center under Patching Setup you should see 16 patch points on the left and 16 outputs selected on the right. Press Patch Elements to Controllers. A pop over will confirm your patch. If you expand each item on the left and right panes you will see the green dots confirming they are patched.

If you have more than one LOR controller you would physically chain them as you normally would in your display. The difference for Vixen setup as you can see in the instructions would be that under Element Setup you would enter another Generic Numbered Group for each controller. Then in the left pane under Controller Setup instead of 16 you would enter the total number of channels (32 for two, 48, for 3, etc). Multiple elements on the left, one controller on the right. To map click the first controller in the chain under Elements on the left and map that one first. If you expand the item on the right you will see green dots beside the first 16 only. Then map the next one in the chain and so on until you have all devices mapped. You could also highlight the expanded individual items on the left and click map (1 to 16 for example) but I think this is harder.

7) you're done. you can now try a sequence to make sure they work.

I hope this helps.

jchuchla
10-22-2014, 12:19 PM
While the above post certainly is functional, it is generally best practice in vixen 3 to get yourself away from the idea of naming your elements in relation to controllers and channels. You should instead name things appropriately for what they actually represent. This helps you get into a thought process that consistent with the V3 workflow. Once you get your mindset changed away from channel based sequencing to element based sequencing, then a everything else in V3 starts to make sense and V3 works more efficiently.
For example, If you have red, green and blue (or even more) strings on your roofline, you are better off defining just a single element called "roofline" and defining the color handling for this element to include the colors of the individual strings. This will reduce the number of elements on your sequencing screen, and will allow you to make good use of the V3 effects. If you want to fade your roofline from red to green, you can use a single pulse effect that says the roofline should change from red to green. No longer would you need to think about fading out the red and fading in the green.

--Jon Chuchla--

tripplett
10-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Yea I realized that after I made the screen shots. It was just a functional test to prove concept. I mentioned that in the post, my naming convention would be less than ideal for sequencing.

deonb
12-06-2014, 06:48 AM
What I don't quite understand, how does Vixen know where the LOR dongle is?

e.g. if I use a "LOR USB to RS485 adapter", there has to be some configuration somewhere that tells Vixen that that particular Dongle is on COM 3. Alternatively, if I map it to DMX in LOR itself, Vixen needs to know that the listener is running on port 8837.

However, there is no configuration in the "DMX Open" controller that allows me to set up everything. So how do I tie the particular controller into Vixen?

In the LORCommListener I see:
2014-12-06 02:30:01 30:Listener [INFO ] Listening on port 8837
2014-12-06 02:30:02 710:DMX1 [INFO ] A2004HOi: Raw DMX adapter opened
2014-12-06 02:30:02 32:Listener [INFO ] Connection accepted (768)

but no traffic from Vixen. Even that "Connection accepted" didn't seem to come from Vixen - I think it's the LOR software.

Needless to say, no blinky flashy.

deonb
12-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Never mind - I figured it out. There are a few things in play that all have to work together:

1) Vixen will autodetect the LOR USB adapter as an FTDI, but the FTDI driver needs to be the one from VCP (from ftdichip.com), not the one from LOR.
2) Make sure all LOR software is closed, otherwise it will use the FTDI port. Vixen will log an error to the Vixen error log if this it can't open the FTDI. Also make sure the "Play" button is clicked under the LOR controller. If you press top & then play again, Vixen will generally crash. No big deal, just restart it and hit play.
3) Make sure all LOR controller firmware is updated to 4.2 or later. (Or 1.7 on the Gen3 controllers).
4) Make sure your LOR controllers stay on their unit numbers and don't renumber itself. I have a CTB16D that the moment you sent DMX to it, it resets itself to a different unit number. Now I just leave it alone to where it wants to be, and we're both much happier.

Thereafter it should work. DMX channel 1 to 16 will go to LOR Unit 1, channels 1 to 16, DMX channel 17 will go to LOR Unit 2 channel 1, etc.

jchuchla
12-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Actually the driver needed to use the dongle as an "open DMX" is the d2XX driver. This is the "direct mode" driver. It's included in the FTDI Virtual Com Port (VCP) package. It can be installed on it's own though. This driver doesn't use the device as a com port, it provides a lower level interface between the software and the dongle. It's less limited than the VCP driver is. I forget how to find this driver on the FTDI site, but there's a link on the Enttec Open USB page that points to this driver. I wasn't aware that the LOR driver version didn't use/include this part of the driver.

Thanks for the other process and firmware information though. That's much more detailed than anyone else has provided us. Would you mind if I copy some of that information to the vixenlights website to help future users?

deonb
12-07-2014, 02:06 AM
Would you mind if I copy some of that information to the vixenlights website to help future users?

Sure, go ahead. It would be nice to have in one place. I'm sure next year I'll forget again, and then have to look it up myself :)

budude
12-07-2014, 03:15 AM
I think the OP was referring to a direct LOR plug-in - there was one that "sort of" worked way back for Vixen 2 but as I recall there were some issues with it. Not sure if it's something that could be resurrected (or if it's worth it). There's not much advantage over DMX unless the Shimmer and Sparkle were supported natively from V3.

jchuchla
12-08-2014, 10:42 AM
This is probably way too much info for the OP. But since you brought it up...
On the surface it actually sounds pretty easy to add a direct LOR output controller in V3. But it would be somewhat limited. First off, the LOR protocol is proprietary so we'd have to rely on community knowledge or reverse engineer it. The LOR protocol is actually closer to our workflow than any of the other protocols. However it's very limited feature wise.
Secondly, there would be limited support for effects. Only set level and pulse would work. Maybe chase and spin too as well as any other effect that could be reduced to a low volume of pulses. Things like twinkle, flicker and nutcracker would not work because it's just too much data for LOR. Then in order to make use of the built in twinkle and shimmer, we would need to create special v3 effects specifically for this.
This could add some confusion because the sequence editor is unaware of the hardware is connected to. So it would have no means of knowing which effects can and can't work on a given element.

--Jon Chuchla--

evilfish
10-07-2015, 11:23 AM
I tried to contact my CMD24B controller (LOR) with this method but I cant seem to make the LOR dongle show up. The one device I get is a USB Serial Port (COM 15). I also manage to get a USB Serial Converter which is a FTDI device. I tried makking a DMX Pro controller in vixen to the USB Serial Port at COM 15, but I got not response from the actual controller. :/

jchuchla
10-07-2015, 02:03 PM
You need to use dmx open (not pro).
Dmx open is a standard FTDI converter. It uses the direct interface of the chip (not the serial port driver)
Dmx pro is a com port based interface but the protocol is a bit different.

--Jon Chuchla--