PDA

View Full Version : New Mini Pixel Trees are finally done!

plasmadrive
10-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Finally got em done. 50 pixels per tree, 5 pixels per star. 5v DC-DC converters on each tree. All fed with 24vdc from a single weatherproof supply. Data via DMX bridge and Pixel Extenders.

kidcole
10-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Spectacular job .. I love the stars ..

Skunberg
10-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Wow, like those stars.

DanJ
10-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Well done. Those will look great. I have been thinking about moving my minitrees from single channels to full RGBs. I will keep a copy of your photo so I have something to copy!! Thanks for posting. Did you hand-make the mini trees? The reason I ask is that they don't look like the "normal" upside-down tomato cages... Thanks!!

plasmadrive
10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys,

I will put up a whole section in my dropbox on them sometime tomorrow and post the link here.

Livermore-Dad
10-07-2014, 12:11 AM
w0w.

Not one, we have to see them lit up comment?? You guys are getting soft in your old age!!! :)

I like them they look great, be interested to see them doing a little dance, especially to see the starts.
Tory

Strother85
10-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Looks good, what type of pixels did you use in the stars?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk 2

OregonLights
10-07-2014, 11:10 AM
w0w.

Not one, we have to see them lit up comment?? You guys are getting soft in your old age!!! :)

I like them they look great, be interested to see them doing a little dance, especially to see the starts.
Tory

+1 lol

plasmadrive
10-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Glad you all like em'.

There is a very short video showing them working. I haven't really done any programming yet. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6mmj1wrm6mmx3pd/AABwe4XclnJohx5F66o-U6dta?dl=0

There is also build info

DrNeutron
10-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Very clean build and they look fantastic! Great job.

P.S. I learned a new word for today "connectorized"...
:wink2:

Livermore-Dad
10-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Glad you all like em'.

There is a very short video showing them working. I haven't really done any programming yet. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6mmj1wrm6mmx3pd/AABwe4XclnJohx5F66o-U6dta?dl=0

There is also build info

Now!! Those are fantastic!!
Well done :)

Tory

Roterhead
10-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Very nice. I may have to plagiarize, but with a different topper. And perhaps some plasticwreath...

And your power is exactly how I am deploying this year. 90% of my props are fed with 24vdc, using buck convertors to drop down.

angus40
10-08-2014, 02:04 AM
That is a lot of work right there ! well done , It will be great to see them in your show .

Your viewers are in for a treat .

plasmadrive
10-08-2014, 12:25 PM
posted a new PDF drawing in the dropbox with a full wiring diagram for the system.

Livermore-Dad
11-02-2014, 02:00 AM
posted a new PDF drawing in the dropbox with a full wiring diagram for the system.

It took me a while to find this thread again (you post too darn much sir :))) But you have cleaned out your build sheet from dropbox. Can you share again, I just may have to get off my arse finally!

Thanks
Tory

Macrosill
11-02-2014, 08:11 AM
I want to see annual pictures as those mini trees grow up to be full sized mega trees!

Nice job!

plasmadrive
11-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Ya know Tory.. you are actually right. I do post WAY too much! Been working on that.... :blink:

Here is the link to the dropbox folder..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qteuavx6pi82e34/AAB4zFhsWSjmdHr6d2aSL6fva?dl=0

plasmadrive
11-02-2014, 08:53 AM
I want to see annual pictures as those mini trees grow up to be full sized mega trees!

Nice job!

LOL! Yeah.. I'll get back to you on that one! And Thanks!

DanJ
11-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Plasma--what did you use for your mini trees? I have been using tomato planters for my mini trees so far, but I am thinking tomato planter may not be substantial enough for the RGBs and the stars... Thanks so much for posting all the photos of your build. I am probably going to go RGB on my mini trees in 2015 along with coro canes. A lot of smaller elements, but a lot more channels!!! Thanks.

plasmadrive
11-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Plasma--what did you use for your mini trees? I have been using tomato planters for my mini trees so far, but I am thinking tomato planter may not be substantial enough for the RGBs and the stars... Thanks so much for posting all the photos of your build. I am probably going to go RGB on my mini trees in 2015 along with coro canes. A lot of smaller elements, but a lot more channels!!! Thanks.

There is a list of everything major that I used for these trees with links. Look at the "parts and pieces" PDF. You are welcome,......And good luck with yours next year.. it is a fun project

plasmadrive
11-04-2014, 11:33 PM
I put up a test video of these tress a few day ago.. same drop box

algerdes
11-04-2014, 11:40 PM
I know I've read about your stars someplace, but could you tell us where you found them and also the converters?

Livermore-Dad
11-05-2014, 12:37 AM
I know I've read about your stars someplace, but could you tell us where you found them and also the converters?

Same thread, there is a dropbox document, lists everything, including where and when and what he had for lunch on that day.

He has really done all the homework here, we just need to quietly download the docs and reference pics and copy them!! :)))

Tory

plasmadrive
11-05-2014, 08:48 AM
For some reason the original link I posted is dead. Here is the one that does work https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qteuavx6pi82e34/AAB4zFhsWSjmdHr6d2aSL6fva?dl=0

algerdes
11-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks, especially for re-initializing the link.
I'm trying to get Ray's email to ask how we can knock down the $327.59 shipping for 10 sets.
($200 worth of product, $327.59 shipping? What's wrong with this picture?)

plasmadrive
11-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks, especially for re-initializing the link.
I'm trying to get Ray's email to ask how we can knock down the $327.59 shipping for 10 sets.
($200 worth of product, $327.59 shipping? What's wrong with this picture?)

You are welcome.

That shipping price on his web page is one that is auto generated..He will give you a much more reasonable shipping rate when you ask him directly.

BTW, I got those stars without pixels in them. Just empty shells.. Just had to ask him..

sck1ng
11-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Started reworking my trees from spiral to straight.. I will be doing 4 rows of 8 and 2 rows of 9.. I have to figure out how to add the star as it is wired differently than the pixels.. Found that out after blowing 2 fuses in my test e6804 :( I used 1/2" wire fence and cut it into single strips to keep the pixels in line for the most part..

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/06/ba6c793258210c7d8f1e55e65420d37f.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/06/797603d1e6524577a071eea89ca3dcb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plasmadrive
11-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Nice job.. I like your fence wire idea..

Livermore-Dad
11-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Nice job.. I like your fence wire idea..

ditto, quite ingenious..

Tory

wdr1
12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
I love these!

I'm new to the whole DIY Christmas (and a new homeowner), but I was thinking of doing something like this for my first project. Think I'd be in over my head?

plasmadrive
12-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I love these!

I'm new to the whole DIY Christmas (and a new homeowner), but I was thinking of doing something like this for my first project. Think I'd be in over my head?

all depends on what knowledge you have of many different things.. electronics, electrical, hardware, mechanical.. General stuff..

wdr1
12-19-2014, 11:32 PM
all depends on what knowledge you have of many different things.. electronics, electrical, hardware, mechanical.. General stuff..

Hmmm... minimal to none for all of these above. :) I'm a software engineer by trade. I did the "build your own PC" thing once, but that's about the closest I've come to doing anything real with hardware/electronics.

plasmadrive
12-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Well, take a look at all the stuff in my drop box and see if you think you will feel comfortable doing it.. Leave yourself about 3 times the time you think it will take.. Or you will be stuck for time. You will have a learning curve for sure.

wdr1
12-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Well, take a look at all the stuff in my drop box and see if you think you will feel comfortable doing it.. Leave yourself about 3 times the time you think it will take.. Or you will be stuck for time. You will have a learning curve for sure.

Cool. I was actually thinking of starting now for next year. I thought mini-trees would be a good starting point, as I can futz with them year-round in the backyard.

Livermore-Dad
12-20-2014, 12:16 AM
Cool. I was actually thinking of starting now for next year. I thought mini-trees would be a good starting point, as I can futz with them year-round in the backyard.

Just really hard to find the Obelisk at this point. bought 2, ordered a bunch more, each time orders were cancelled.. Maybe in Spring they will bring them back, but they are a great starting point

tory

cnbales
12-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks for sharing.

dmcole
12-20-2014, 08:54 PM
FWIW, I bought the same empty stars domestically ...

http://rgbstars.com/store/product/enclosed-star/

I also attached them differently. Wandering around Lowes or HD, I found a plumbing item called a "drop ear" (also known as a "wing elbow"); it was copper but I was able to find a PVC version. I glued the PVC drop ear to the back of the star. For my mini-trees, which are standard double-tomato cages, I had drawn the strands together at the top with zip ties, making about 1/2-inch of metal. The drop ear just drops on. I added a heft zip tie to hold it all in place.

For my midi-tree (six feet), I zip-tied a 5/8-inch piece of dowel (only because I couldn't find 1/2-inch PVC pipe as economical as a $1 dowel) to the main pipe of the tree (using both wrap-around and -- by drilling holes -- wrap through zip ties) and left just enough of the dowel sticking up that the crotch of the star rests on the top of the tree pipe.

I have seven of these -- six for the mini-trees and one for the midi-tree -- and I just stuffed two dumb RGB rectangles in them, along with a three-channel DMX controller.

\dmc

Livermore-Dad
12-20-2014, 09:03 PM
FWIW, I bought the same empty stars domestically ...

http://rgbstars.com/store/product/enclosed-star/

I also attached them differently. Wandering around Lowes or HD, I found a plumbing item called a "drop ear" (also known as a "wing elbow"); it was copper but I was able to find a PVC version. I glued the PVC drop ear to the back of the star. For my mini-trees, which are standard double-tomato cages, I had drawn the strands together at the top with zip ties, making about 1/2-inch of metal. The drop ear just drops on. I added a heft zip tie to hold it all in place.

For my midi-tree (six feet), I zip-tied a 5/8-inch piece of dowel (only because I couldn't find 1/2-inch PVC pipe as economical as a $1 dowel) to the main pipe of the tree (using both wrap-around and -- by drilling holes -- wrap through zip ties) and left just enough of the dowel sticking up that the crotch of the star rests on the top of the tree pipe.

I have seven of these -- six for the mini-trees and one for the midi-tree -- and I just stuffed two dumb RGB rectangles in them, along with a three-channel DMX controller.

\dmc

Cheaper then Ray Wu. But have to determine shipping to be sure

Tory

droidsteve
11-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Anyone find a suitable sub for the Spiral Obelisk?

Skunberg
11-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Anyone find a suitable sub for the Spiral Obelisk?
Do you mean like a tomato cage?

Augus
12-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks op. Will see if I can build this for next year.