PDA

View Full Version : Tombstone build

DrNeutron
09-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I was looking to incorporate 8 tombstones into my Halloween display this year so I have been toying with a design...
I found the right size for me was 24" high by 16" wide. This enabled me to get 6 coro tombstones per sheet of coro (front and back).
Here is the base:
It is a simple piece of 2" X 4" painted black with 4 RGB modules attached.
The coro tombstone itself is 2 pieces of coro with a 1 1/2" edge hot glued with RGB strip attached to the edging (in the middle)
24914[/ATTACH
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24915
My plan was to use strip quick connects to be able to detach the base from the coro but just wired them up for this year as is....
Here is how they look:
I still have to paint RIP on them and make them look a little weathered but the diffusion is great.
I mounted 2 U clips on the base so that I can drive some 1/2" conduit into ground and just slip the base over it to keep things in place with the wind we get.

Christmasgeek
09-27-2014, 09:26 PM
They look awesome.....I'll have to hit you up next year on your design as I have had to stop my Halloween building (just going to be the matrix) and start Christmas prop building (I am so far behind lol).

Christmasgeek
09-27-2014, 09:40 PM
BTW your work area is way to organized!! LOL but I bet you don't have 4 and 3 year olds trying to help you build props, some days I am lucky to find my zip ties!!!

DrNeutron
09-27-2014, 10:06 PM
BTW your work area is way to organized!! LOL but I bet you don't have 4 and 3 year olds trying to help you build props, some days I am lucky to find my zip ties!!!
hahaha....I just re-claimed that area, that was the "toyroom" for the kids (19 and 12 now). I had a 7 year old "helping me" with the build today...

Macrosill
10-23-2014, 07:58 AM
What is that white tube that goes around the inside of the tombstone? It looks like it has some black cabling at the bottom right corner.

DrNeutron
10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
What is that white tube that goes around the inside of the tombstone? It looks like it has some black cabling at the bottom right corner.

That is the dumb RGB strip. I found it gives better light diffusion if you attach it to the sides and have it project light inwards to center of tombstone. This way when it lights up you do not see any individual LED's. I placed the strip in the center of the coro strip that goes around the front and back tombstone cutouts. The black cable will have quick connects so I can detach it from base after Halloween and put small coro trees onto base for Christmas (this will be for next year, too much on plate now). That way the bases can stay where they are and remain plugged into controller and just swap tops out....:biggrin2:

Livermore-Dad
10-23-2014, 03:10 PM
I really like them but my first attempt with coro was a failure. So i'll have to learn the skill..

So you are running pixels and dumb strips in there? I see 3 on the bottom then you put the dumb around the inside. Any reason? Would think the dumb would be plenty bright without the pixel squares/bricks whatever :)

Tory

DrNeutron
10-23-2014, 03:29 PM
I really like them but my first attempt with coro was a failure. So i'll have to learn the skill..

So you are running pixels and dumb strips in there? I see 3 on the bottom then you put the dumb around the inside. Any reason? Would think the dumb would be plenty bright without the pixel squares/bricks whatever :)

Tory

All are dumb RGB, just used what I had on hand and the modules were easy to screw to the base. Besides, I didn't have to worry about extra waterproofing for the modules as they are epoxy coated and handle being knocked about better than strip. They turned out super bright....

Macrosill
10-28-2014, 06:19 PM
That is the dumb RGB strip. I found it gives better light diffusion if you attach it to the sides and have it project light inwards to center of tombstone. This way when it lights up you do not see any individual LED's. I placed the strip in the center of the coro strip that goes around the front and back tombstone cutouts. The black cable will have quick connects so I can detach it from base after Halloween and put small coro trees onto base for Christmas (this will be for next year, too much on plate now). That way the bases can stay where they are and remain plugged into controller and just swap tops out....:biggrin2:
Thanks for the details

z0mbie st0mp
11-14-2014, 06:58 PM
These are very nice!

Just so I understand fully, they are lit from below via the 2x4 AND along the inside perimiter... All light facing center?

DrNeutron
11-15-2014, 12:00 AM
These are very nice!

Just so I understand fully, they are lit from below via the 2x4 AND along the inside perimiter... All light facing center?
Yep.....They are incredibly bright and when I staggered the 8 (4 in front and 4 behind) it made a cool effect as when the tombstones in front shone it actually cast light on the tombstones behind....I posted some vids in another thread of my little Halloween show. You can see them in action here:
https://www.facebook.com/EvelyFamilyLights

Clyde L
01-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Very nice work on the tombstones. I like how they turned out! Looks like they were an easy project. Did you just paint or use vinyl letters for the RIP on the front of the coro?

NkySpike65
01-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Looks really good! Another great idea I need to borrow. ;)

DrNeutron
01-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Actually just painted the RIP.....at 1st I was disappointed with how they came out as the letters were not super sharp but my wife quickly pointed that it made them look more like real tombstones so......happy wife happy life.
:-)

XmasConcord
01-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Love the idea. What controller board are you using for these. I'm thinking it might be just a bit over the 48lsd board ((400ma).

mharnish
03-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Have you tried them just using the pixel modules on the bottom to light the tombstone? Just curious if that is bright enough without the strips around the sides. I am thinking of building something similar and was wondering if I can get away with just the modules at the bottom.

Great job on these BTW.

DrNeutron
03-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Have you tried them just using the pixel modules on the bottom to light the tombstone? Just curious if that is bright enough without the strips around the sides. I am thinking of building something similar and was wondering if I can get away with just the modules at the bottom.

Great job on these BTW.
Yep I had experimented with just some dumb RGB modules on bottom but they only illuminated the tombstone about 1/3 of the way up......The extra light from the strip along the sides made for some interesting looks as it lights up behind the tombstone as well as in front. this way, the stones that were behind caught a lot of the light and made it look a little eerie...
YMMV

mharnish
03-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Sounds good, I guess I will have to start looking at strips :)

Thanks

steelth
05-21-2015, 01:42 PM
How do you connect the tombstone to the base securely so you can disconnect the base for use with other props?

DrNeutron
05-21-2015, 02:19 PM
The face and back of each tombstone extend onto the 2X4 by about 1 1/2" and I use some screws through the coro into the wood. The screws I used were a larger pan head type that I use with my Kreg jig when doing pocket holes.