PDA

View Full Version : New features

Macrosill
06-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I wanted to take this opportunity to list some of the new features included in the new software upgrade.

1. User created Social groups -
To further social cohesion between users and to encourage people to make friends, vBulletin now includes a facility to allow users to create their own social/interest groups. These groups are enhanced by having their own public messaging system, and the ability to add pictures to the group from user albums.

2. Reciprocal friendships between users -
As part of our new social networking system, users can now request that people on their buddy list confirm their friendship, after which time a person's list of confirmed friends will be viewable to other users.

3. User picture galleries -
vBulletin users can now create albums and upload pictures to their account.

4. Enhanced notifications - Where your PM notifications used to be indicated will not have a Notification drop down menu to indicate what type of notification you have.

5. Index page link in the footer - you can now navigate back to the index page from both the top and bottom of the current page.

6. Blogs or Public Messaging - While private messages between users have been in vBulletin since version 2.0, vBulletin 3.7 introduces the public messaging system, allowing users to communicate publicly via their profile pages.

7. Thread tagging - A new way to facilitate searching and grouping of threads, it is now possible for users to add tags to threads they post or read.

8. Thread Prefixes - Long requested by users, threads can now have administrator-defined prefixes to their titles.

9. New, member profile page - In order to accomodate all the new features in vBulletin 3.7, the member profile page has been completely redesigned from the ground up. The new page presents information in a far cleaner and more logical manner, while dividing up information into manageable chunks using a tabbed interface. Individual profile field categories can be displayed alone in blocks in the right column, in addition to appearing by default in the 'About Me' tab.

10. Inline Editing of Profile Field Values - The 'About Me' tab of each member's profile page has edit controls, allowing them to quickly change values without leaving their profile page.

11. Attachment Viewing Lightbox - Clicking on an attached image will now open a lightbox rather than open a new window, with the image scaled to fit the browser viewport. A click on the image in the lightbox will open it in a new window as before.

12. Post Edit History - For boards where the history of posts is important, it is now possible to log all edits to posts and then review the changes at a later date.

13. Navbar Notices - Administrators can now set up custom notifications that will appear underneath the navbar when visiting users fulfil specified criteria. For example, one may want to set up a notice to display when a user is a member of a particular usergroup, or to show a congratulatory message when a user has posted their 1,000th post etc.

There are lots more but those are the biggest new features. There is a lot of Admin and Moderator controls and enhancements as well. I hope all of you enjoy and fully utilize the new tools we have to keep DIYC as one of the best and cutting edge communities on the Web!

Wayne J
06-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I wanted to take this opportunity to list some of the new features included in the new software upgrade.

5. Index page link in the footer - you can now navigate back to the index page from both the top and bottom of the current page.

ahhhhhhh... this one me likey! :cool:

davetv102
06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I like it!! I like it!! I like it!! Much more functionality and ease of use. Two thumbs up, Hey Wayne can I be your friend??

David

Wayne J
06-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I like it!! I like it!! I like it!! Much more functionality and ease of use. Two thumbs up, Hey Wayne can I be your friend??

David

:) sure can!!

deplanche
06-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Tag searching, i like that. Can search for less than the 3 letter keywords that are always giving me a problem.

toodle_pipsky
06-10-2008, 04:19 AM
6. Blogs or Public Messaging - While private messages between users have been in vBulletin since version 2.0, vBulletin 3.7 introduces the public messaging system, allowing users to communicate publicly via their profile pages.

Firstly, thanks for this Brian. The new features make it just that little bit more social without going overboard. These features will come in handy in the future.

My question - and wait for it, it could be a dumb one ;) - the blog/public messaging of which you speak is that the visitor messages? I ask because I'd like to use it as a way of keeping track of where I'm up to with everything.

Thanks again!

Macrosill
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Oops! No Ingrid, the visitor messages is not the Blog feature. I missed the little check box that enables the Blog feature. I hope to get to it before you wake up.

toodle_pipsky
06-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I is awake! :) hehehehe thanks for following that up. I'll keep an eye out.

Macrosill
06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
And I only missed it by 2 hours and 19 minutes. I hate it when work gets in the way!

toodle_pipsky
06-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Hehehehe life would be grand if we didn't have to work, but then how would we fund the blinky flashy? ;) Thanks again Brian, gold star!

Macrosill
06-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I am happy to announce we have our very 1st Blog entry! Composed by our own World Famous Toodle_Pipsky! May she go down in the record books as the 1st Blogger at DIYC! Now lets see how many other Bloggers we have here.

ben
06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
blogged! I figured I will start a journey like Bills just in Blog form. I am the 2nd person to ever DIYC BLOG!!!

Ben