PDA

View Full Version : Text Effects for Vixen

smartalec
09-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Firstly i would like to say that nutcracker is crashing build 40 constantly.
So I would rather not use nutcracker if i can help it now..

So is there any other way of doing scrolling Text across the matrix?

someone made there own app that used vixen3, but it's a bit messy so im told..
This is what i would like Vixen3 Text to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHkcLvDuQfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHkcLvDuQfw

is this possable for this year. ?? (i herd that it might be able to be done by inverted text.)

I believe everyone would love this effect

Thanks Alec.

Gnarmstr
09-10-2014, 07:26 AM
I am using Build 40 right now and have no issues with the Text or with any part of Nutcracker. Raise a ticket at http://bugs.vixenlights.com and attach your log files. Have you tried an earlier build?

What is happening and what are you doing when it crashes.

Just remember Build 40 is a Dev build, Vixen 3.1 will be out very soon.

The text effect was fixed a few build ago.

jchuchla
09-10-2014, 08:27 AM
These are some of the little things that's holding up the 3.1 release. If you raise a ticket as the poster above suggested it should help find and fix the problem.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smartalec
09-10-2014, 08:33 AM
i will remove all traces of vixen an reinstall the build 40..
im wondering if its cause there's so many dev builds installed on top of each other, something might of broke

barbotte
09-10-2014, 11:03 AM
glad to see that i am not the only one playing with all the build ...as soon as 1 is out i have it lol .... so far so good as i have not find any bug yet except when you try to zoom in to the max then it stuck there ( my bad) anddo not try to open a sequence from a newer build with a old build it wont work ... ,,keep the good work ..cheer

smartalec
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
it looks like i had too many dev builds an vixen got its nickers in a twist..
all working nicely now an No crash's..

Now how about them Scrolling Text effects in that video... any chance of getting that this year?
or am i dreaming just like how i wanted the VU meter effect to be for this year?

thanks

jchuchla
09-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm not even sure who created that app. I checked out the videos and there's nobody named Brad on the dev team. From his one line description on the video, it looks like he's taking vixen color data into another app and using this other app to generate the text based on the color(s) vixen specifies. If that's the case, it's not really a vixen feature. But I will say that it's pretty nifty!

You can currently do text in nutcracker, but not with all those cool color transitions.
you could create your text as a video file and do a video effect in nutcracker.

Gnarmstr
09-10-2014, 03:58 PM
As Jon said you could create a video and import using Nutcracker. The best way to do this at the moment is use Glediator Tito create an effect like in that video. Then using a capture program record the effect. Then in Vixen Nutcacker import that video. It's not perfect but you can play around with it to get some more great effects.

Also this process will be made easier with some work that's going on now but I don't think it will make it for this year.

piense
09-10-2014, 07:23 PM
or am i dreaming just like how i wanted the VU meter effect to be for this year?

Something to this effect? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9U1ybqg46U

The code for all that is extremely preliminary but if it's something people are interested in I can finish them up get them out in the next few weeks.

smartalec
09-10-2014, 08:20 PM
now that looks cool, i would be intrested in that effect as well

Something to this effect? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9U1ybqg46U

The code for all that is extremely preliminary but if it's something people are interested in I can finish them up get them out in the next few weeks.

smartalec
09-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Yep your correct, i spoken to brad about it, he was also the person that encouraged me to post his video here, to see if it could be done with out the need of his app in the middle.
He's a ACL member sorry.
i have'nt watched this yep, but apparently he talks abit about what he does with Vixen3, making it do what he needs it too do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt3fSl6vdTY
i guess i was being greedy an hoping the smart dev team could whip something like this up, an make it a vixen3 function

I'm not even sure who created that app. I checked out the videos and there's nobody named Brad on the dev team. From his one line description on the video, it looks like he's taking vixen color data into another app and using this other app to generate the text based on the color(s) vixen specifies. If that's the case, it's not really a vixen feature. But I will say that it's pretty nifty!

You can currently do text in nutcracker, but not with all those cool color transitions.
you could create your text as a video file and do a video effect in nutcracker.

Gnarmstr
09-10-2014, 09:13 PM
I was at that Show and tell and although I haven't re watched the video I am sure he was using LSP and not Vixen. Not sure if he has done something since to have it work with vixen. He also didn't seem willing to share his software (Understandable).

jchuchla
09-10-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm sure the text effect can be done. Feel free to post a feature request at bugs.vixenlights.com

-- Jon Chuchla --

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jchuchla
09-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Piense, I'm pretty sure there's already a ticket requesting the VU meter effect. You might want to take ownership of that ticket.

-- Jon Chuchla --

smartalec
09-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Yep there is by ADSKI, i find it easyer to get him to do the bug reporting an ticket stuff..

Piense, I'm pretty sure there's already a ticket requesting the VU meter effect. You might want to take ownership of that ticket.

-- Jon Chuchla --

jchuchla
09-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Well that's one way to do it!

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle79
09-10-2014, 11:20 PM
VU meter looks very interesting! Could save a few hours here and there doing the beat breakdown for me. Could even use it as a template/beatmarks to get timing for other effects easily.

Rowan

smartalec
09-11-2014, 03:19 AM
I use the effect on my pixel tint-tubes that are 1.5m tall.. i just hate using vixen to to make it them export it over then colour in the sections.. (an hour process)
something vixen3 could do with a couple of clicks if done right.

VU meter looks very interesting! Could save a few hours here and there doing the beat breakdown for me. Could even use it as a template/beatmarks to get timing for other effects easily.

Rowan

Driver
09-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi Guys

I'm the Brad from BradsXmasLights and the videos/software that Alec is talking about. :)

Last year I developed a system to make my Matrix interactive, so anyone could come along and connect to my Wi-Fi hotspot portal and enter their name - which would then get sequenced in to the lightshow on the fly.

In summary, my app took a matrix of E1.31 "colors" and then alpha blended this with monochrome masking images (eg: the text) to then calculate new E1.31 to send to the controller. Last year I used LSP, but it also works with Vixen3, which I'm using now. It's just reading the E1.31 unicast packets. (Long version in my talk at Sydney here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt3fSl6vdTY)

Anyhow, What Alec was trying to replicate in Vixen, as scrolling Nutcracker text that can change colour on que. Nutcracker was set to do White text only.

When we tried laying color level & nutcracker effects, we got white text, but a colored background accordingly. Black text in Nutcracker generated no text effect at all. What Alec wants is the color to be masked so it fills the text only.