PDA

View Full Version : Maestro? Vixen?

dman776
06-04-2008, 04:18 PM
AL's new software sure looks a lot like Vixen.

http://animatedlighting.com/products/Maestro.asp

wbuehler
06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
WOW

I think it is Vixen

pete
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmmm.... It does look alot like Vixen?????

Ronp
06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Hmmm ...Looks like Vixen, works like Vixen ,Were is my lawers number...

Rumor has it that it also can be used with DIY controllers too.

Deast
06-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok... who sold them the rights to vixen?

Virtus
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I'll PM KC...

Mrplow123
06-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I hate to say it, but it looks like KC sold out to the man. But I know he would never do that, someone had to of stolen it from him. And look at that price tag :shock:

Virtus
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
It is confirmed that it is KC's work.

wbuehler
06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I just made another copy of my Vixen folder

ppohlman
06-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Good point. I better download it again and backup the files just in case.

DynamoBen
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Interesting...if he did sell it I say good for him.

jeffathompson
06-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Kinda looks like 1.1 not the good stuff 2.0. But hey, if it is, think of all the wannabe's out there we can sell our old leftover and obsolite equipment to at a greatley inflated price.

Virtus
06-04-2008, 08:36 PM
They are building us some new training slides at least...
http://animatedlighting.com/Maestro/Maestro-StartModuleOne.html

rrowan
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Guys

Just heard on the DLA chat that RJ is behind that site that is selling the equipment and maestro. I think we have been sold out

Here is a copy of what he said.

[RJ] 9:51 pm: animatedlighting is a wholely own sub of RJEnterprises! as in DIYanimatedlighting

I am so ticked off at the moment.

Later

Rick R.

DynamoBen
06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
A quick whois is says RJ is not involved:

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=animatedlighting.com&prog_id=godaddy

aussiephil
06-04-2008, 10:28 PM
But Ben that only proves he's name is not attached to the website.

Phil

DynamoBen
06-04-2008, 10:30 PM
And the fact that the company has been in business for a number of years and RJ is neither an employee or owner.

Relax ppl KC just licensed the software to them, its not a big behind the scenes conspiracy.

RJ
06-04-2008, 10:36 PM
They know they are rattling your cage!
RJ

WWNF911
06-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Hey Guys

Just heard on the DLA chat that RJ is behind that site that is selling the equipment and maestro. I think we have been sold out

Here is a copy of what he said.

[RJ] 9:51 pm: animatedlighting is a wholely own sub of RJEnterprises! as in DIYanimatedlighting

I am so ticked off at the moment.

Later

Rick R.

Lighten up Francis.

I wouldn't believe everything you read in "Chat". My experience is RJ is about as good a person as they come. and we have quite a few here. :)

besides its DIYlightanimation not DIYanimatedlighting. You should know, I've seen your posts there. :)

ALL - All this talk of selling us out is rediculous. It's KC's product. He can do what he likes. If its over, which I seriously doubt, we should all be glad he allowed us this free ride as long as he has.

2 cents

TERBObob
06-05-2008, 07:04 AM
So , if its KC's work , ( which it SURE looks identical to me ! ) did anybody find out from him whether he sold it , or they STOLE it ?
( kinda hope they STOLE IT ... this way , KC could get some BIG moo-la outta it from SUEING the SOB's for STEALING it and maybe shut them down too ! )

Virtus
06-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I understand that it is not stolen, just for sale to control their product.

DynamoBen
06-05-2008, 10:29 AM
KC did indeed license it to them. While other's need to pay we get it as a gift. ;)

TERBObob
06-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Cool .... as long as KC got something out of it . Hope he realized how GREAT a prog VIXEN is and didn't let it go cheap ( heck - AL isn't letting it go cheap ).
KC seems to be a smart guy with the programming , just hope he wasn't like all the "unknowns" MS took advantage of .

Josh
06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
KC did indeed license it to them. While other's need to pay we get it as a gift. ;)

Well, yes and no. What i understand is that if you buy "vixen" threw AL, you can control thier hardware. Pretty much all your doing is buying the plugin for AL equipment.

If you notice, they also lose alot of features, it looks to be that you can only make a basic sequence, no LED trix, or other benifits we get.

DynamoBen
06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
This feature limitation may be intentional. From what I've seen and read they are selling an "easy to use" application to control their hardware...and that’s what they got.

We know that Vixen can do much more, however we have also have been using it for a couple of years and that makes us “advanced” users. In the end someone spending a couple of grand on gear and software from their site will be very happy with Maestro.

joneslights
06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, yes and no. What i understand is that if you buy "vixen" through AL, you can control thier hardware. Pretty much all your doing is buying the plugin for AL equipment.

So, in theory someone who owes the AL version could copy the AL hardware plugin into Vixen and actually use AL hardware with DIY Vixen hardware? I'm sure there are protections against that?

disneynut
06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I feel like i am losing part of my family anyway you put it.

Josh
06-06-2008, 11:50 AM
So, in theory someone who owes the AL version could copy the AL hardware plugin into Vixen and actually use AL hardware with DIY Vixen hardware? I'm sure there are protections against that?

no clue.
I would imagine it is possible. It could be built into the program, and not a real plugin like we are used to in folders. But still, a programmer could get the code and make one.

TERBObob
06-06-2008, 11:58 AM
LOL .. just got back home , went to check the "status" of the thread on the new "MAESTRO" and found all my posts were deleted ? Hummm ... wonder why chuckie boy would do such a thing ( LOL :) )

wjohn
06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
ok, question for the dummy (me), is Chuck financially involved in AL/Maestro?

Macrosill
06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Chuck is employed by AL, iirc.

Josh
06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
If you do a whois, AL is registered by a Paul smith

my guess would be it is family?

disneynut
06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
i thought we were like family here, why is AL stirring up trouble at DIYC. The reason i left PC was because of the back stabbing and stealing of ideas to gain greed and money, not for enjoyment of Christmas and respect to each other. I wonder if we are starting to go that way, I sure hope not.

DynamoBen
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I think this tread is starting to go off topic...lets not let it get out of hand.

Penfold
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I read earlier in this thread that KC sold license to AL. Does that mean we are not going to have Vixen anymore, or that he just sold an older version to AL?

DynamoBen
06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Let me see if I can make this clear.

KC has licensed an OEM copy of Vixen (called Maestro) to AL for use with their products. The only thing that has changed is KC gets a little more money for gas each month from AL.

sandy
06-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Let me see if I can make this clear.

KC has licensed an OEM copy of Vixen (called Maestro) to AL for use with their products. The only thing that has changed is KC gets a little more money for gas each month from AL.

Didn't KC go to work for AL ?
I thought I'd seen a mention of that on the old board,
and then a congrats to him on the AL site for becoming their programmer.

He does have to live indoors somehow :)

DynamoBen
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
He doesn't work for AL he just licensed the software to them.

dman776
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
My understanding is that KC did work for LOR (not AL).
(Chuck Smith doesn't work for AL either.)

bbayliss
08-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Let me try and clear a few things up. Animated Lighting is owned by Paul Smith he bought the old DASHER program and Christmascave.com from Drew Hickman. Drew is actually one of the pioneers of Christmas Light control. Drew remains an employee (maybe partner) of Animated Lighting, and is the brains behind the company. He is the one that designs their hardware. Maestro was in the planning stages about the time of Vixen's birth but I know they were having problems with it's creation and that is probably why they contacted KC. I would love to have a plugin for Vixen that would control my AL hardware as I have a bunch of it and it is very expensive. I am a very well known individual in the Halloween industry, AL wanted me to help them get into this industry. They sent me all of there systems in return I designed a yard display focusing on DMX controlled lighting, and sent them video footage for their website. I met with both Drew and Paul and unfortionatley told them everything I knew. I started building FM transmitters to help them through the holiday demand and then they SCREWED ME... They did not pay me, would not return call's or E-mail's and then went and opened up all of the dealerships that I had told them about.

Bottom Line is I am glad if KC made some money off of AL but he better be carefull because I do not trust Paul Smith at all, and I am not the only one that feels this way.
Brian

wjohn
08-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Brian

I am really sorry to hear your story.

John.