PDA

View Full Version : Clean DB button

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 12:22 PM
OK...I have been opening and working on a sequence for a couple of days now on the same computer. No problems. Saved, played and opened fine. Today I push the clean DB button...and POOF. Here is what I did.

I had background effects and foreground effects on a pumpkins (6 pumpkins set using segments because there are 3 pixels in each pumpkin), and one single pixel ghost.
I had foreground effects set on those items as well.
I pressed the clean DB button and saved and closed. Opened back up and I get that Paint E GUID error. CRAP! It was in the background so thats easy as those effects are basic. I cleared ALL of the effects out, checked that the foreground effects were there. IDIOT ME I pressed the Clear DB button again, saved and closed and when I opened, now my foreground effects when POOF....I lost EVERYTHING within that group I was working on.....

So...WHY did that happen....and of course, now that the DB is clean I can't simply go back to an older version because those effects were in that list.

JHinkle
09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
I forgot that was even there.

That has not been updated in a long time and is not aware of background effects -- don't touch for now.

Have HLS shut down.

Go into your sequence folder and delete the .dat and .idx files --- those are the database files (make a copy of the folder and save it in case you don't get the results you expect).

Using MyComputer or WindowsExplorer -- look in your sequence folder and a .xxx_yyy.hls1 file (look at date time code of the file) for one just before you did the clean. That will be the last backup that holds all the data.

Open HLS -- under FILE -- do not select "Open HLS Sequence" ---- instead select "Make a Backed Up Version of HLS the Main Version".

Select the backup file you identified earlier.

HLS will now rebuild the databases as they existed with that save.

I will look at the Clean process and make sure it is up to date --

Thanks -- that is a gotcha because of new features being added but this old process not updated to include them.

Let me know how it goes.

Joe

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 01:00 PM
ALL of the idx and dat files or just the one for EFFECTS

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Following your steps here, but nothing is getting rebuilt. File opens and no effects are present.

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 02:12 PM
The problem I am seeing...is I don't know where I am in the 8 sequences I've done now.....I can open a sequence and it LOOKS ok, but when I change to background it throws the Paint E Guid message and effects disappear, mainly the background effects. The foreground looks to stay. I'm just not sure how this is going to OUTPUT, because some play fine. It's just when you change to the background things go wonky....

JHinkle
09-04-2014, 02:17 PM
As I stated earlier ... the process did not pick up new features --- mainly Background effects.

Those are gone.

I will be updating HLS to properly Clean and Rebuild the Background effects.

Joe

angus40
09-04-2014, 02:18 PM
What exactly does the background/foreground do ? I have never used this . Does it allow colors to blend via transparency or opacity ?

I guess this would be a cool feature if grid sequencing .

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately, restoring old files isn't working..I get the Paint e gui error. This sux
...lol, the ONE time I follow directions

angus40
09-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately, restoring old files isn't working..I get the Paint e gui error. This sux
...lol, the ONE time I follow directions

The silver lining is it happend now and not a week before show time !

also you have probably saved others the same fate by discovery and reporting this .

Thank you .

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Joe, I guess what I'm concerned about is...can I trust what I see in preview? Is that going to be the output? Just need to know if the sequences are now corrupted...what I've been doing is opening sequences and switching to background...if the paint e gui error pops up I select the entire grid in background and hit delete to clear. Then save and reopen and reinsert the background effects....

Reason I am concerned about what I see in preview is that if I recall correctly, on some of the sequences I opened and played...they played correctly in preview. However, when I went to look and switched to background to look at effects, that error was thrown and the effects dropped off the grid....

JHinkle
09-04-2014, 03:32 PM
I have a post that fully describes what background does.

You may be asking HLS to show BACKGROUND withour Foreground --- which would appear to have no effects.

Joe

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 04:01 PM
That is what was happening. I would open a sequence and it was in show background and foreground. I played the sequence and all was well. I switched to view background only and the error got thrown and the effects were gone. I switched back to background and foreground view and only the foreground was there.

Just want to make sure that what I see in Preview is what it outputs....Just don't want to keep working with files that might be bad. I have a backup from yesterday at noon, which means I loose around 4-5 hours of sequencing. Again, just don't want to plug along thinking all is well when the files I have might be bad. I got your other PM and replied.

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Also...LOL when I replied a couple of replies ago....I was at the gas station getting ready to get gas.....guess what....I LOCKED MY KEYS in my dang truck....sitting right beside my cell phone....LOL...I guess sometimes...you da bug!

JHinkle
09-04-2014, 04:53 PM
What you see in Preview is what is outputted --- why would preview be different.

Joe

MindTrik
09-04-2014, 04:56 PM
LOL...cause it showed my background effects as there before I switched views LOL...then they went stealth mode.
I assume that was because the merged view shows as the top merged for output, while background effects were gone...they were still merged...maybe that's what happened

JHinkle
09-04-2014, 05:37 PM
There is foreground only, background only, and both.

Normal viewing is both.

JHinkle
09-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Version 20S released.

Now both FG and BG effects are saved.

Joe